New car for the kiddo

Picked up a super clean 19 Sentra SV today with 32,000 miles for our youngest. It was a nice surprise for her, she had no idea until we arrived at the house. It should serve her well and be easy for me to take care of and teach her some basic maintenance. She is going to learn how to change the oil, wiper blades, rotate tires, etc for this car too!

479EB0D0-073E-46B6-AA9A-6C9B6BA0C32C.jpeg

Congrats! I was just looking at those as a result of the Hertz used car thread. They seem solid and economical.

My son will be commuting to school and a lifted 1987 Wrangler is not ideal!

Congrats! Sharp car! Ditto on the CVT fluid. If it starts to squeal on acceleration, a fluid change should fix it

Nice car. Having driven a late model Sentra and a Civic, the Sentra has better seats and better wind/tire/engine noise isolation when driving on the highway.
The Sentra seems to have better AC, too.

The Mini Altima.

Funny thing, the Sentra actually drive better than an Altima !

Too bad they didn't put a hot n.a. 2.2L in that thing.

having owned a couple recent Nissan's. Yes ! change the CVT fluid if it hasnt been done, then you should be good for 60K intervals after the initial. d&f

It's the initial shedding of material off the belt and sheave that muds up the control circuit that you want to get out.

I changed mine early on a 14 Rogue an the trans worked fine.

You don't need Nissan fluid, it will do nothing for you. Valvoline or Castrol are fine.

NIssan filters have been defective and a big reliability issue, I would absoutely run a WIX or some champ lab non-ecore variant and get the one for the Armada or TItan V8. Its the same thing, but with just about 1/3 more media. The pass car filter is way way too small.
Not in opinion, but in fact.
- Good luck - Ken

Last edited:
Are the tires OK ? Should be on a 2019 . So should all the rubber under the hood .

Bet she is proud of it ! :)

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Are the tires OK ? Should be on a 2019 . So should all the rubber under the hood .

Bet she is proud of it ! :)

It's going to need new tire this fall. They're 16" wheels and fairly inexpensive, so that's good.

We all know any machine is only as good as the maintenance it receives. Mention that to her.

Show her how to use a tire pressure gauge. Check the spare if it has one.

Any kid (male-female) can be "unattuned" to...slam.
By that I mean being totally unaware that they just hit a pothole or oblivious to squealing tires as they go around a turn too fast.

Another favorite of mine is momentum. My brother would approach a line of stopped cars at a clearly visible red light at 60 mph. He'd wait until he was one car length away from the rear car and stamp on the brakes. It was amazing to me.

Smooth = cheaper operation = better ride = longer tire+brake life = longer car life = more financial happiness

Best of luck with everything, tell her.

That's one lucky kid right there. Definitely stay on top of the CVT fluid changes. A guy that works for me just had the CVT in his 2015 Sentra SR completely fail while driving at 107k miles. They were all highway miles but he never changed the fluid. I kept telling him he needed to but he ignored my advice.

My wife and I decided to send our son to the two day Teen School at the BMW Performance Center in SC. Later that same year he attended the one day Street Survival course in his "extremely unsafe" 1975 2002. Other brands often similar programs and Street Survival is an inexpensive program that teaches a lot in one day.

Nice! Teach her how to do maintenance and repairs on it, she will appreciate the vehicle and learn a lot about how it works.

Back