Oil Mix???

So, my buddy's grandson put 3 or 4 different oils brands & wgts in his engine along with an accidental qt of *P/S fluid. Engine runs fine(Chevy 350) but now grandson is a bit concerned. Oils & p/s fluid are as:

1 qt Mobil1 15W50
2 qts NAPA straight 40 conv.
1 qt QSGB 5W30
*1 qt GUNK P/S fluid(yellow bottle)...He claims that he thought it was PYB.

No issues but, he is now concerned if he should change the oil *OR can he wait some time and just use this mix(and experience) as an engine flush, so to speak?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby

No issues but, he is now concerned if he should change the oil *OR can he wait some time and just use this mix(and experience) as an engine flush, so to speak?

Personally I would be more concerned that he either didn't read or didn't care and did all that in the first place.

More likely than not the engine should be OK but still that's never advisable.

I would recommend a qt. sweetening package mixture 50:50 of WD-40 and Head & Shoulders or either just change the oil

Yeah, he was kinda in a hurry and being young, just didn't look/read everything the way he's supposed to. Grampa gave Grandson a bunch of leftover oils from the garage that Gramp isn't going to use anymore. Some oils were from Gramp's motorcycles and other oils were just some stragglers from the cars and OPE.

And knowing that any oil is better than no oil or dirty/cruddy oil that, using these heavy wgts oil(40 & 15W50) with the upcoming Summer, wouldn't hurt anything in Grandson's engine. Not realizing that there was a P/S fluid mixed in the bunch.

I mean, other than Gramp asking me and me asking you folks, Gramp searched this issue on the web and most comments came up..."Don't worry about it if it's Only 1 qt of P/S fluid!"

But, I am asking this team anyway 'cause I value the opinions here at Bob's.

Goodness... change it. It's not "flushing" anything. No good will come of this mixture.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Goodness... change it. It's not "flushing" anything. No good will come of this mixture.

I agree ^^^^^^^

No magic mix here.

2 quarts straight 40 and 1 of 15-40....does the car clack a bit upon startup?

Keep an eye on what that kid does and buys. No credit cards until you know he's not daffy.

Could any of the Frankenbrew experts calculate the final grade of that mix? ...a 7.5W-42?

Wow.. change it out. Get that kid a mail-order chemistry set and keep his paws out of the garage.

Run down to home depot pick up a 5qt jug of shell 10w30 and a fram

Ps grab me a pack of yard bags. Thanks

Last edited:
How old is the car? I highly doubt it will hurt a thing. The power steering fluid generally made from oil but is pretty thin but will balance out with the 2 quarts of 40 wt. Unless the vehicle is worth much, no big deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
The ps fluid will dilute the add pack in the oil. I would not run this mix.

any worse that when some one puts ATF in their crankcase to do a "cleanup"

In a small block? Run it. With all the mechanic in a can that gets added to oils, I'll bet an old 350 has seen it before, and will take it just fine. I might run a shorter OCI, but I sure wouldn't lose any sleep over it either.

Back