Honda oem power steering fluid vs other brands.

Planning on refreshing the brake and power steering fluids in my Accord here one day soon. What exactly is "power steering fluid"? Is it anything special? My 300ZX always used ATF. The last time I did it,I used Honda oem power steering fluid from the dealership. Is it all the same stuff, are there brands that are better than others, is Honda oem anything special?

Back when I had a Honda Accord I was told to use only Honda PS fluid or an equivalent....I think it said it was thicker than normal PS fluid and ATF.
I know that Walmart used to carry non Honda brand Honda PS fluid...I think it was made by Prestone…..

Years ago it was impossible to get a PS fluid other than Honda's own branded fluid suitable for their power steering systems...

Now there are probably half a dozen or more fluids dedicated to Honda systems. If you use one of the major names like Prestone, Bardahl, ect you'll be fine.
I think even Walmart has a dedicated Honda fluid now with SuperTech brand, I'm sure it is fine.

Just make sure the label specifically says "For HONDA power steering systems."

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I have used O'Reilly Honda Spec PS fluid. Quart bottle; much cheaper.
As others have said, there are options.

Yes, most of the private label bottles of Honda fluid are made by one or two suppliers that are very reputable.

Honda's PSF has been much higher viscosity for many, many years. A recent post from Molakule, as I recall, suggests this is no longer the case. Search for that post or thread for info.

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Honda's PSF has been much higher viscosity for many, many years. A recent post from Molakule, as I recall, suggests this is no longer the case. Search for that post or thread for info.

Yes I recall Molakule mentioning this, however for older Hondas pre and early 2000s I'd stick with Honda dedicated PSF.

I don't know what the exact differences are, but from my experience the fluid isn't that critical. I ran ATF in my 05 Civic's power steering system for 3-4 years and the system was still working perfectly when I converted to EPS and removed the system. My friend has been using Valvoline's standard PS fluid in his 03 Accord for the last 6 years and his system still works fine too. Not that I am suggesting using non approved fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I have used O'Reilly Honda Spec PS fluid. Quart bottle; much cheaper.
As others have said, there are options.

This.

My experience with OEM Honda/Acura Genuine P/S Fluid is that, this fluid performs better in sub zero temps better than the aftermarket Honda/Acura P/S fluids. Otherwise, the aftermarket fluids seemed just fine in my Honda's, IMO.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
My experience with OEM Honda/Acura Genuine P/S Fluid is that, this fluid performs better in sub zero temps better than the aftermarket Honda/Acura P/S fluids. Otherwise, the aftermarket fluids seemed just fine in my Honda's, IMO.

I don't think the concern is so much the actual viscosity as much as the proprietary additives to protect the seals.

Back