Purolator one used cartridge oil filter.

I have to say I'm rather disappointed. I had higher expectations for the filter. Its only been about 3,200 miles. Ran with PPHM in my 2008 Mazda 5. This has done the worst so far out of the cartridge filters I have purchased to spite it being the most expensive.

20200502_170848.jpg

20200502_170850.jpg

20200502_170858.jpg

20200502_170855.jpg

20200502_170912.jpg

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Looks ok, made August 17, 2017 in Fayetteville North Carolina
smile.gif

I agree it's not horrible. I think they are a bit twisted for 3k though. The stp in I had before was better than this. I replaced with wix xp than after that k&n.

My 2007 Fusion has the same type of filter your Mazda uses. I tried 2-3 cartridge filters(Fram, M1) when I first bought the car and had the same experience as you. So I settled on the MC FL2017B cartridge and they are great with my 10K OCI I do. Here is a pic..
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by tig1
My 2007 Fusion has the same type of filter your Mazda uses. I tried 2-3 cartridge filters(Fram, M1) when I first bought the car and had the same experience as you. So I settled on the MC FL2017B cartridge and they are great with my 10K OCI I do. Here is a pic..
[Linked Image]

I just bought a ton of wix xp on sale and have 2 k&n as well or I would try it.

When I was using cartridge filters on my VW's... when FRAM switched to Made-in-China ones (Instead of German ones), I stopped using FRAMS, due to the crushed filters after using them (when new, the pleats were nice and straight). the Chinese FRAM cartridges has the same construction as the Purolator above.

Maybe a Mahle filter is of proper length?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3066870&cc=1441857&jsn=413

Last edited:
Pretty disappointing for such low mileage on that filter. I would run Hyundai and Fram cartridge filters on my 07 SantaFe double that mileage and they would look almost new.

If you want to be able to use a fancy filter, you could look into converting to a spin on I believe the Ford BS4Z-6881-F oil filter adapter(spin-on mount) and ford 1S7Z-6840-AA or FEL-PRO 72949 gasket would work the Ford parts places seemed to be trying to get rid of them online it's only like $30 shipped to get the Filter mount and gasket.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
... Maybe a Mahle filter is of proper length? ...
The length shouldn't need to be held to a tight tolerance, as long as it's roughly correct and there's a spring in the housing to compensate for minor variations in length.

None of my cartridges have come out twisted or buckled like that.

Originally Posted by Kira

blufeb95: Are you saying the Ford adapter will fit the OP's Mazda engine?

The Fords and Mazdas of that era could have either a spin-on or cartridge filter. It's pretty simple to remove the cartridge system and replace it with a spin-on.

Originally Posted by Kira
So it's just too long a filter?

blufeb95: Are you saying the Ford adapter will fit the OP's Mazda engine?

The filter wasn't too long. Has the same height as the others. I know they sell adapter kits. I just have no real reason to. Uy one.

Last edited:
Same size as all of the other filters I have used for this vehicle. I don't know how you could even know that without seeing it in person. Pl15505 was the filter for a 2008 mazda 5. If you don't think it's correct look it up.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I have no issues with a slight compression flexing of the media. That just demonstrates that the ends were held securely. Ed

True point ... a little distortion in the pleats from a little crush when installed doesn't really hurt.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
Same size as all of the other filters I have used for this vehicle. I don't know how you could even know that without seeing it in person. Pl15505 was the filter for a 2008 mazda 5. If you don't think it's correct look it up.

Not saying wrong filter, saying wasn't installed properly

Originally Posted by adamsoil
Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen

Not saying wrong filter, saying wasn't installed properly

Yes, I have never changed my oil before. I must have put it in up side down.

Back