Did a Stupid Thing

I have what was a meticulously maintained Craftsman 23 V-twin Intek lawn tractor. 15 years old didn't use a bit of oil. Today I rolled through some dog $hi* and hosed off the front tire before the engine cooled. I knew I shouldn't do that, but figured the water wasn't hitting the engine block. Apparently it was, because it started leaking oil after I started it.

I'm assuming the is block cracked, but wonder if it could be anything else. If you can think of anything else to check, I'd appreciate it.

Look carefully for where the oil is coming from. It may not be a cracked block. That would be unusual.

I don't know man. My son has washed our tractor down after use and I doubt he let the thing cool.

Maybe the water cleaned off part of the block and dripped down? Kind of a steam clean effect?

As suggested above, is it really leaking oil? Did the oil level drop? I don't really think hosing off the front wheel will cause an oil leak.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Pictures of the leaking location???

Originally Posted by Zaedock
I don't know man. My son has washed our tractor down after use and I doubt he let the thing cool.

Maybe the water cleaned off part of the block and dripped down? Kind of a steam clean effect?

That's what I thought, but the oil is clean and fresh. It pools here before dripping off the frame. Can't see any other place.

[Linked Image]

IMG_0583.jpg

Last edited:
I'd be really surprised if the block cracked because you washed the front tire.

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
I'd be really surprised if the block cracked because you washed the front tire.

Me too! Didn't leak a drop before. Oil level stayed the same the whole season.

I have one, and I think you can get one at Advance or Napa, a UV dye kit would be helpful in this scenario where you can't clearly see the block.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Make sure that FRAMer DAMMER isn't squirtin oil over there.

Thanks. I'll check that again tomorrow. I watched that while it was running. It would have to be a fine mist for me not to notice, though.

I've had to do the same thing to my mower with never a problem. Take that tin covering the head off and take a look around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kestas
Does this have an aluminum block? Those aren't as prone to quench cracking as iron blocks are.

It's aluminum.

I have one, it started leaking oil and I thought it was the seal on the bottom.

After several months I thoroughly cleaned everything to look for it.

The crankcase halves bolt together, the bolts had come a bit loose. Tightened all of them and it stopped leaking, a couple years later I needed to do it again.

Originally Posted by ondarvr
I have one, it started leaking oil and I thought it was the seal on the bottom.

After several months I thoroughly cleaned everything to look for it.

The crankcase halves bolt together, the bolts had come a bit loose. Tightened all of them and it stopped leaking, a couple years later I needed to do it again.

Thanks. I'll check that tomorrow, too. Just seems like an enormous coincidence to have this start right after the water.

hose my entire mower off almost every time I get done using it...not the engine but water has splashed onto the engine...the steam came rolling off , never had a problem...do the same with my push mower

Originally Posted by jkasch
I have what was a meticulously maintained Craftsman 23 V-twin Intek lawn tractor. 15 years old didn't use a bit of oil. Today I rolled through some dog $hi* and hosed off the front tire before the engine cooled. I knew I shouldn't do that, but figured the water wasn't hitting the engine block. Apparently it was, because it started leaking oil after I started it.

I'm assuming the is block cracked, but wonder if it could be anything else. If you can think of anything else to check, I'd appreciate it.

Personally I cannot see any relation to the act referenced and any damage to the block (I use my Hotsy all the time on equipment both cold and hot and if they were that fragile then a mud pulse or rain would destroy one- so now we know what didn't happen)

I would suggest topping it off full then getting some good degreaser and really clean it off good.

If you got a compressor blow it off or park in sunlight ( or do it wet)

Crank and let sit and watch for oil.

possible head gasket, PCV, the O-Ring at the filler tube, pan gasket.

If you say its pooling then it should be relatively easy to spot especially if you see where the puddle is

I doubt you cracked the block. That oil filter may have came loose it looks a little dirty around that area. I would change the filter because it could be leaking at that point. I hosed off a hot riding lawn mower engine once and ruined the coil.

Back