autos queue at Port of Long Beach

https://www.autonews.com/retail/vehicles-pile-calif-ports
(largely from Bloomberg)

Nissan Armada SUVs, Rogue crossovers and Infiniti sedans - ship drops anchor for several days rather than unloading.

"Dealers aren't really accepting cars and fleet sales are down because rental-car and fleet operators aren't taking delivery either," said John Felitto, a senior vice president for the U.S. unit of Norwegian shipping company Wallenius Wilhelmsen. "This is different from anything we've seen before. Everyone is full to the brim."

The majority of the quarter million cars imported from Japan last year came through West Coast ports, mostly via L.A. and Long Beach, according to IHS Markit PIERS data. Some East Coast ports such as in Brunswick, Ga., are experiencing higher-than-normal inventory, but industry officials say the main logjam is on the West Coast.

"It is very abnormal for a container ship, a car carrier or a cruise ship not to go right to the berth, discharge and be on their way," said Kipling Louttit, executive director of the Marine Exchange of Southern California, a non-profit that monitors commercial ship traffic.

Out at the airport, the rental car lot has more Nissan vehicles on it than our local Nissan dealership does.

Apparently, Nissan would rather pay to store them on the ship...

While I surely would love to hear all about how cars are delivered to dealerships and rental agencies.....
....I gotta say I ain't gonna walk around being puzzled about this.
Obviously it would be cool to accurately guess the future and play whatever market elements you can.

These won't be ripples in a pool. These ripples will be bouncing off obstacles and other ripples.

Someone asked on a Volvo board for people to guess where the prices of used VOLVO cars would go because of this disease.
Last time I checked the majority was guessing down. I guessed up because all the different pipelines are upset.

Are people going to keep their cars longer? Were they going to trade up? Will they trade up and give their current Volvos to their relatives?

Such a juggling act....."you mean the economics involved?....No, I mean pretending to know what you're talking about"

Kind of like the 6 o'clock news. We meet people who parrot a sentence or two from the news and they act like they know what's going on.

They won't be able to turn this experience into a college economics course for 2 years. It'd sure be interesting.

The bigger they are (economic systems) the harder they fall.

Do I need to note that I'm using the universal "you", "we" and "us" ?

Car Pro said today he's seeing a rebound in used car prices … but some good deals on new stuff … That can mean trade in time for a few …

DMV has been closed in NY since the 'pandemic' hit....before that the lines were out the door as 'undocumented' people
were granted the right to Drivers Licenses....A regular person (non-dealer) can't get a used car registered now so I'm sure there
are some deals on used cars if you aren't in a hurry to register it.

It is ironic that liquor stores are deemed 'essential' but DMV is not?

Originally Posted by pbm
DMV has been closed in NY since the 'pandemic' hit....before that the lines were out the door as 'undocumented' people
were granted the right to Drivers Licenses....A regular person (non-dealer) can't get a used car registered now so I'm sure there

Yeah … pot shops rock on in lots of places … but have a friend who has waited over two months for pancreatic surgery … still not scheduled. …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by pbm

Yeah … pot shops rock on in lots of places … but have a friend who has waited over two months for pancreatic surgery … still not scheduled. …

Yep, that is bass ackwards.

Author Larry Correia's wife is also on hold for surgery. It's nothing important...just cancer treatment!

Someone is cooking the book. If you unload and flood the market with too much inventory then your prices collapse, your book value collapse, your stock price and debt value collapse.

This is likely not only Nissan but I'd not be surprised a lot of other companies just want to get pass their current quarter and then dump all the stuff.

I think Hertz is filing bankruptcy, and people are not upgrading their rides if they are not driving them, everyone is expecting recession to come soon so they are tightening their belts right away.

Last edited:
Back