The Drive : MOBIL1 Annual Protection failure ...

I'm running it right now and it is highly touted here. It appeared to be a failure out of the gate but seems to have gained popularity here and with consumers.

When I purchased it at Walmart it was stocked on a prominent shelf. Six months ago it was collecting dust in the top shelf and looked to be headed for close out.

It's a good oil.

Originally Posted by odie
https://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer/12395/why-did-mobil-1-fail . Considering this for the '18 Accent due to carbon deposits . Good choice ?

Its effectiveness as a choice probably rests with the reason the deposits are forming and the oils property to mitigate it.

As far as the overall failure of the program, to me that's a textbook disconnect between the ivory tower marketing types relying on various studies that don't directly relate to the subject against people in the real world.

Not a property of the oil as much as the inability to sell a product at an unacceptable price point with no specific benefit in the face of things like warranty requirements a d a host of other traditions.

I think it boosted sales of M1 EP !

Well, even though I'm loaded with M1 AP, some M1 Truck & SUV, VME, and RGT … just went to TSC for dog food and there were two un marked jugs of M1 Truck & SUV … rang up $14.99 … !
These marketing attempts have been great for me … and they are great products !

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'm running it right now and it is highly touted here. It appeared to be a failure out of the gate but seems to have gained popularity here and with consumers.

When I purchased it at Walmart it was stocked on a prominent shelf. Six months ago it was collecting dust in the top shelf and looked to be headed for close out.

It's a good oil.

Gained popularity here because -- they had to drop the prices or very FEW were gonna purchase.

It's a good oil.

Well when you get done using that stuff let us know if you seriously think it head and shoulders above the Havoline you just took out.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

It's a good oil.

Well when you get done using that stuff let us know if you seriously think it head and shoulders above the Havoline you just took out.

That would be unanswerable unless I ran both for a long period of time and compared the results including viewing the intake valves.

Article is 3 years old. It didn't fail because it's still being sold. It's a great choice and arguably one of the best oisl on the market, bar none.

Meets all API/ILSAC specs, d1g2 certified and has a SA of .8 and can be run quite a long time.

I preface this by saying that I "get" the marketing aspects and attempts to grab as much market share as possible, but from my point of view, there are two things that Mobil needs to consider:

1. As the article states, no one wants to pay $50 for 5 QTs of oil; had they placed it squarely at $35 (which is where most of the stores that carried it discounted it to to move it initially), it would have had a better start out of the gate.
2. Mobil has too many "clashing" product lines without clarity as to what one lines does better than the other OR instead of the other.

Prime examples:
-- Mobil Super Synthetic. What is this oil and where does it fit in the overall line up? It is usually only carried by auto parts and grocery stores at a price per quart that most people walk right past. Why would i choose it over any other Mobil product?
-- Truck and SUV versus AFE and "regular" M1; what is the difference and which is better? Is there are difference or is this a marketing thing?
-- M1 EP High Mileage; who would choose this oil over the standard high mileage version?

Below is the current Mobil "1" synthetic PCMO line. Does Mobil need this many oils to cover the market or would it behoove them to simplify the line?
21.gif

Mobil 1â„¢ (5w-20 | 5w-30 | 10w-30 | 15w-50)
Mobil 1â„¢ Advanced Fuel Economy (0W-16 | 0W-20 | 0W-30)
Mobil 1â„¢ Extended Performance oil (0W-20 | 5W-20 | 5W-30 | 10W-30)
Mobil 1â„¢ Annual Protection (0W-20 | 5W-20 | 5W-30)
Mobil 1â„¢ FS (0W-40 | 5W-50)
Mobil 1â„¢ ESP (0W-20 | 0W-30 | 0W-40 | 5W-30)
Mobil 1â„¢ Formula M (5W-40)
Mobil 1â„¢ Extended Performance High Mileage (0W-20 | 5W-20 | 5W-30)
Mobil 1â„¢ High Mileage (0W-20 | 5W-20 | 5W-30 | 10W-30 | 10W-40)
Mobil 1â„¢ Truck & SUV (0W-20 | 5W-20 | 5W-30)
Mobil Superâ„¢ Synthetic (0W-20 | 5W-20 | 5W-30)

Price will drop dramatically when it is re-branded Mo Bu Wun. Me go long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

Below is the current Mobil "1" synthetic PCMO line. Does Mobil need this many oils to cover the market or would it behoove them to simplify the line?
21.gif

Without any identifying factors this has come up often in discussions with my peers in SAE and with XOM and others as clients directed toward this very question.

Here is the answer I have been given and personally I believe its pretty close to the truth because its basically the same answer I get across people in the same business but not just XOM. They all seem to sing the same song- maybe a different verse but the same. Not so much as the refinery level but at the branding/distribution sales part of the stream

The marketing companies they hire know people now use the net and are not as "led' by advertising claims as 2 decades ago and they troll boards like this and racing, cars etc. along with SEO data. trying to identify market niches, focus groups, buying patterns and all kinds of stuff.

They then come up with marketing ideas and ask what oil you got we can market as this ( insert words here)

Often they are told we already have "recipe X" and they may add some additive or something then a new niche product is born. If it sells it stays, it not it just goes away. They will do target markets and so forth. ( that's where they get all these tests you see where people "tried" this brand new product before it hit the general market)

Factually true or not I don't know but it is the common theme I have heard for years from people in those organizations on the R&D side

Did you leave out the Euro spec oils, such as 0W-40 European Car, on purpose or is it no longer made. To my (minimal) knowledge, that's the only 229.5 MB oil that they make. It's also the only one I'm interested in purchasing. So, yeah, they could pare that list down considerably IMO.

Originally Posted by JohnG

Did you leave out the Euro spec oils, such as 0W-40 European Car, on purpose or is it no longer made. To my (minimal) knowledge, that's the only 229.5 MB oil that they make. It's also the only one I'm interested in purchasing. So, yeah, they could pare that list down considerably IMO.

I thought that FS, ESP, and M cover the European cars?

Originally Posted by sloinker
Price will drop dramatically when it is re-branded Mo Bu Wun. Me go long time.

Funny yes, but every time I post a line like that I get banned for two weeks! ...¡

Originally Posted by 4WD
I think it boosted sales of M1 EP !

Well, even though I'm loaded with M1 AP, some M1 Truck & SUV, VME, and RGT … just went to TSC for dog food and there were two un marked jugs of M1 Truck & SUV … rang up $14.99 … !
These marketing attempts have been great for me … and they are great products !

Great point 4wd.

I think it helped the EP sales quite a bit... And regular M-1 too... Wally world near me and in the Richmond area west of me could have keep the other Mobil 1 oils on the shelves after AP came out...

Formula M 5-40 is 229.5 and so is the 0-40 you mentioned.

It's just like big grocery store brands. They crank out 100 different flavors of a product to essentially push their competitors off the shelves. And Mobil 1 without question has the clout with most retailers to do exactly that.

Most brands have a (3) tier lineup - Good, Better, Best. What Mobil has done is create a few tailored grades like AFE/SUV etc., which I personally do not like but that's where this has all gone. Shell is the worst offender.

A company like Driven has an approach that makes sense and that is rather than create one chemistry covering as many specs as possible, which does have it's pluses, they create the chemistry based on the need of the engine. Hence the DI oils etc.

Back