Refurb tablets?

I am seeing Lenovo refurb 10" tablets for 80 on amazon. This comes with a special 90 day return (appears to be NQA) policy, as opposed to 30 days for new product. I can save $20 x 2 (for 2 tablets I want to buy), plus get an extra 60 days return. Both Lenovo new (the new tablet I'd get if I don't get refurb) & refurb are 16 gigs ram, quad core cpu.

So my question is--have any of you bought refurb tablets and been unhappy with results? How long did it take you to regret it?

Got a refurb eight inch fire a couple of months ago. For all intents it was new. I'm sure someone bought it, said "I don't like this 'pitch me goods' opening screen" and returned it. Ninety percent of the reviews said the same thing. Ten percent were people that got badly abused units, units that had the former owner's accounts, etc. Of course people who are screwed over are more likely to review than happy customers.

I have a Lenovo Tiny Thinkcentre running Ubuntu Mate, a Lenovo Chromebook and a Moto E4+ that just keeps going. That's a brand I like. In fact, my Fire is my only non-Lenovo device that's in constant use.

Last edited:
My current 4yo lenovo laptop is still going strong--much too strong for me to replace now. On the other hand, it might just be that I paid $800 for it. All I know is that is is going to last quite a while longer. I learned not to go cheap on laptops.

I guess I haven't learned that lesson for tablets yet.
cool.gif

Purchased 3 iPads and 2 iPhones from Apple as refurbished, and do not regret it -- they are as good as new with the same warranty as new units.

I purchased iPad 1st gen refurb and regretted big time because Apple stopped providing upgrades right away after I got it. It still works but I can not download any apps, even the older versions from apple store because it won't connect to apple store due to the discontinued API. Lucky me that I had bought GoodReader app before the fiasco and it is still on iPad. That is only one way I can use my iPad.

Then I got Motorola Xoom, refurb. Within 6 months, the screen went bonkers. It was out of its 90-day warranty but I still emailed Motorola and they repaired it for free. Even that tablet is running strong but again, no updates.

So now I have decided, I will not buy any electronics, whether new or refurb unless I know that I will be provided support (at least upgrades) for a couple of years or there is a Lineage OS community following the device.

If this is the device you are looking at, https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ZA470006US-Touchscreen-Snapdragon-Android/dp/B07RD1R31Y, I would pass.

Next, I plan to buy Amazon 10" tablet when it is for $100. Just know that it can not be repaired so if you decide to keep more than 2 years, buy protection plan (it can be rooted and/or google apps can be installed with some tweaks)

Yeah that was the unit I was thinking about.

As far as updates--all we want is to watch youtube videos, and read ebooks. And access one website where I will read content and enter scores (numbers as grades). Very light stuff, both my wife and I already have desktop & a laptop for doing more serious computing--so I'm not sure that a lack of an update will be a problem--also that is a recent enough laptop, so its not like I'm buying a device that is years old.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
I purchased iPad 1st gen refurb and regretted big time because Apple stopped providing upgrades right away after I got it. It still works but I can not download any apps, even the older versions from apple store because it won't connect to apple store due to the discontinued API. Lucky me that I had bought GoodReader app before the fiasco and it is still on iPad. That is only one way I can use my iPad.

Then I got Motorola Xoom, refurb. Within 6 months, the screen went bonkers. It was out of its 90-day warranty but I still emailed Motorola and they repaired it for free. Even that tablet is running strong but again, no updates.

So now I have decided, I will not buy any electronics, whether new or refurb unless I know that I will be provided support (at least upgrades) for a couple of years or there is a Lineage OS community following the device.

If this is the device you are looking at, https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ZA470006US-Touchscreen-Snapdragon-Android/dp/B07RD1R31Y, I would pass.

Next, I plan to buy Amazon 10" tablet when it is for $100. Just know that it can not be repaired so if you decide to keep more than 2 years, buy protection plan (it can be rooted and/or google apps can be installed with some tweaks)

It could be well used i.e. a tablet used by a student in a lease program. The battery might not qualify to be replaced during the test phase, but isn't exactly new either.
I have a tablet and never use it. I don't like the form factor.

Originally Posted by paulri
Yeah that was the unit I was thinking about.

As far as updates--all we want is to watch youtube videos, and read ebooks. And access one website where I will read content and enter scores (numbers as grades). Very light stuff, both my wife and I already have desktop & a laptop for doing more serious computing--so I'm not sure that a lack of an update will be a problem--also that is a recent enough laptop, so its not like I'm buying a device that is years old.

If you don't plan to use it for more than 2 years, it should work, but if you want to use it longer, expect difficulties even with YouTube or loading simple newspaper websites. Looking at specs, I would pass. I have learned the hard way, not to buy an entry-level device.

BTW, whatever you decide, take a look at https://vanced.app, no ads on youtube. If you like to log in YouTube to save your preferences then its a little work but otherwise just install the app and done. I use rooted version but you should choose a non-root version.

I have a RCA 10 inch tablet running Android that I have had for 3 years. It has been everything I could ask for. When we travel that is all I take and my phone. It has an HDMI plug on it. I download movies to it from Netflix and play them back when we are camping on the camper TV. It has stronger wifi than my wife's 4th gen iPad. I use it everyday. Bro-in-law and I were traveling from texas when his radiator let go. We locked it up and found a McD's and used their wifi to locate a new one and the correct antifreeze. We found it all at an OReilly and we were back on the highway in a couple of hours. Walmart had it on sale at christmas for $79.00 and free shipping. It also has a detachable keyboard. I never use it , Not sure where it is now. I certanly have gotten my moneys worth.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
I have a RCA 10 inch tablet running Android that I have had for 3 years. It has been everything I could ask for. When we travel that is all I take and my phone. It has an HDMI plug on it. I download movies to it from Netflix and play them back when we are camping on the camper TV. It has stronger wifi than my wife's 4th gen iPad. I use it everyday. Bro-in-law and I were traveling from texas when his radiator let go. We locked it up and found a McD's and used their wifi to locate a new one and the correct antifreeze. We found it all at an OReilly and we were back on the highway in a couple of hours. Walmart had it on sale at christmas for $79.00 and free shipping. It also has a detachable keyboard. I never use it , Not sure where it is nowy. I certanly have gotten my moneys worth.

Who makes RCA? Still Thomson? I do see (or saw) RCA at Wally World but haven't thought about them in a decade. Think they owned the GE electronics trademark as well.

Last edited:
I'm going to pickup an amazon fire hd8 kindle for basic, internet and email use maybe Skype calls.

Back