Recent Topics
Vehicle sighting - 1968 AMC Javelin
by Number_35 - 05/27/20 04:22 PM
Looking for help on an old tiller
by BarryBl - 05/27/20 03:28 PM
is a larger alternator a no brainer?
by apollo18 - 05/27/20 03:02 PM
Rock Auto Code
by BAJA_05 - 05/27/20 01:42 PM
Considering 2019 VW Jetta
by KrisZ - 05/27/20 01:34 PM
Scheaffers moly worth it?
by mpgo4th - 05/27/20 10:50 AM
Flare wrenches
by hallstevenson - 05/27/20 10:43 AM
2000 Volvo S80 T6 Oil Recommendations
by MattV922 - 05/27/20 10:07 AM
2012 Mustang V6, 75w-140?
by RDY4WAR - 05/27/20 09:46 AM
03 WRX 203k miles P.P. 5w40 Euro
by TurboJW - 05/27/20 09:28 AM
13 Corolla U341E Filter
by AJB0009 - 05/27/20 09:19 AM
Brakes Pulsate when Hot
by artbuc - 05/27/20 08:57 AM
Castrol Magnatec Lexus DI application
by AzFireGuy79 - 05/27/20 08:31 AM
Wearing Mask Reinforced
by madRiver - 05/27/20 07:34 AM
2017 Nissan Titan SV 5.6
by ThrowinRocks - 05/26/20 11:30 PM
Need Some People to Do a Ping Test
by ZeeOSix - 05/26/20 10:22 PM
Dumb parking question.
by PhuongFU - 05/26/20 09:38 PM
spin on fuel filter
by mobilaltima - 05/26/20 09:36 PM
Peak Cool Orange no longer GM DEXCOOL Approved?
by Matt1980 - 05/26/20 08:10 PM
Newest Members
heikie, BarryBl, MattV922, Bruce_S, Rwogs
71540 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
92 registered members (4WD, aquariuscsm, 53' Stude, A310, 10WSmuckers, ABN_CBT_ENGR, 7 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 35 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics305,939
Posts5,283,333
Members71,540
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
2020 F450 6.7L oil #5419026 05/02/20 10:04 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 364
SAJEFFC Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 364
Hi all, looking for some input on oil for a new 2020 F450 diesel oil. This is the new uprated 6.7 with the 10 speed and 4:30 gears. I ordered it in Dec. and it came in Mar 2nd, right before the plants closed. I bought it to pull a 43 ft 16K pound plus 5th wheel, my future retirement home. It will not see much towing for the next few years, maybe a 1000 miles a year towing and it is not my daily driver. I know I will get all kinds of recommendations of brands but I really want to stick to Motorcraft diesel oils. My main question is will the factory installed 10W30 be ok for now or should I go the 5W40 synthetic? Owners manual recommends 5W40 for severe use which includes towing over 1000 miles per oil change which I won't be doing until down the road. This truck brand new gets 18.5-19.5 mpg on a road trip, very nice with 4:30 gears on the 10W30. Thoughts oh wise ones?

Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: SAJEFFC] #5419037 05/02/20 10:15 AM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 15,221
C
CT8 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 15,221
5W-40 if it was mine but then I think the owners manual is the best place to start.


2015 F150 2.7
2018 F350 6.2
Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: SAJEFFC] #5419117 05/02/20 11:52 AM
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 141
R
ripcord Offline
Offline
R
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 141
If it were my truck, I would give it time to break in a bit before doing the first oil change. A couple of thousand miles would be totally reasonable. Then use whatever helps you sleep best at night. 5w40 is also a reasonable choice, but Motorcraft XO-10W30-QSD is SAFE to use in your truck and if you change it with that or any other WSS-M2C171-F1 rated oil at recommended intervals, the engine will likely be running strong till the day wheels fall off.

Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: ripcord] #5419134 05/02/20 12:07 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 364
SAJEFFC Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 364
Originally Posted by ripcord
If it were my truck, I would give it time to break in a bit before doing the first oil change. A couple of thousand miles would be totally reasonable. Then use whatever helps you sleep best at night. 5w40 is also a reasonable choice, but Motorcraft XO-10W30-QSD is SAFE to use in your truck and if you change it with that or any other WSS-M2C171-F1 rated oil at recommended intervals, the engine will likely be running strong till the day wheels fall off.

Thanks ripcord, that's kind of what I was thinking with the 10W30. It's not a cheap truck and I have no problem using the 5W40 either now or when I start towing full time just not sure it's necessary for the current usage.

Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: SAJEFFC] #5419325 05/02/20 05:48 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,806
C
Chris142 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,806
Ot: check each states licensing requirements. Your 16k+ trailer requires a cdl in some states. My state offers a non commercial CDLfor towing an RV trailer over 15k.


02 Wrangler Napa high milage 10w40
87 F250 Valvoline 15w40
07 fjcruiser Car lube plus 10w30
Z400 castrol T 10w40
Can am Maveric edge 5w40
57 case tractor Chevron sae30
Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: SAJEFFC] #5419329 05/02/20 05:59 PM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,123
M
mbacfp Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,123
I have been running 5w40 in my 2014 F550 6.7. It is a motorhome 16,000 lbs plus flat towing at 5,500 Ibs truck. My manual says 5w-40 for severe service vs 10w30 for "normal." Does your diesel supplement state the same for severe vs normal?

Had my upper oil pan redone under warranty twice and dealer puts in 10w30 irrespective of severe vs normal. So, I have 10w30 in right now...cannot tell a different feel wise. Nice truck OP.


2014 F-550 PSD..........M1 Delvac ESP 5w-40 + OEM
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
2012 Toyota Sienna LTD 3.5L V6
2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4x4 5.9L V8
Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: mbacfp] #5419353 05/02/20 06:38 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 364
SAJEFFC Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 364
Originally Posted by mbacfp
I have been running 5w40 in my 2014 F550 6.7. It is a motorhome 16,000 lbs plus flat towing at 5,500 Ibs truck. My manual says 5w-40 for severe service vs 10w30 for "normal." Does your diesel supplement state the same for severe vs normal?

Had my upper oil pan redone under warranty twice and dealer puts in 10w30 irrespective of severe vs normal. So, I have 10w30 in right now...cannot tell a different feel wise. Nice truck OP.
Yes my manual says the same thing, 10W30 for "normal" use and 5W40 for severe use which includes towing heavy etc. It has the factory fill 10W30 in it now with just 1500 miles on it so far. I may run that to 5K and the just switch to 5W40 and be done with it. Thanks for the compliment!

Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: SAJEFFC] #5419393 05/02/20 07:46 PM
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,123
M
mbacfp Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,123
Your welcome. I remember I changed mine over to Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 at 2,400 miles or so. I have some UOAs posted here with Valvoline and Delvac 5w-40 (CJ4). Oil viscosity shears down to a 30 weight as per my UOAs. No fuel dilution...mine regens at 500 mile intervals.

How often does yours regen? I'm now at 31,000 miles and other than upper oil pan repairs I love the truck.


2014 F-550 PSD..........M1 Delvac ESP 5w-40 + OEM
2018 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
2012 Toyota Sienna LTD 3.5L V6
2003 Dodge Durango R/T 4x4 5.9L V8
Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: SAJEFFC] #5419471 05/02/20 09:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 51
H
HighwayRanger Offline
Offline
H
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 51
My 2020 Ram 3500 Cummins manual recommends 10w30 for zero degrees and above, and synthetic 5w40 for temps starting below zero. It does NOT differentiate between severe towing or not. I wonder why Ram doesn’t seem to care about severe service (such as me towing a 20K fifth wheel full time.)

Even though I won’t be driving in subzero temps (I have wheels on my house, after all) my intent is to go with Rotella T6 5w40 at 10k, and every 10k thereafter.

Will my mileage suffer greatly?

Roy


2020 Ram 3500 Laramie LB, DRW, 4x4, H.O. Cummins TD, AISIN, 3.73
2016 DRV Mobile Suite Fifth Wheel
(2) Honda eu2000i Generators
Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: Chris142] #5419768 05/03/20 08:51 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 364
SAJEFFC Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 364
Originally Posted by Chris142
Ot: check each states licensing requirements. Your 16k+ trailer requires a cdl in some states. My state offers a non commercial CDLfor towing an RV trailer over 15k.
Yep I've discovered Texas requires the class A CDL when over 26K pounds combined GVWR, I'm at 30800 lol.
shocked2

Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: mbacfp] #5419771 05/03/20 08:53 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 364
SAJEFFC Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 364
Originally Posted by mbacfp
Your welcome. I remember I changed mine over to Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 at 2,400 miles or so. I have some UOAs posted here with Valvoline and Delvac 5w-40 (CJ4). Oil viscosity shears down to a 30 weight as per my UOAs. No fuel dilution...mine regens at 500 mile intervals.

How often does yours regen? I'm now at 31,000 miles and other than upper oil pan repairs I love the truck.

Frankly I only have 1500 miles on the truck so far and have not noticed it do a regen. You can usually tell because the avg mpg readout on the dash takes big hit then raises back up when it's done.

Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: SAJEFFC] #5425874 05/10/20 09:07 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 258
S
SEBZX79 Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 258
Your 450 is probably 8 to 9k lb.
I would have the trailer derated so you are at 26k

Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: SAJEFFC] #5425995 05/11/20 03:39 AM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 441
C
CleverUserName Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 441
I’d be using the thickest oil I can in that truck with a fuel additive that has MMT or FBC in it.

Ford still uses main injection for DPF regeneration which higher cylinder wear than emissions systems which use a 9th injector.

Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: HighwayRanger] #5426195 05/11/20 09:30 AM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,814
A
A_Harman Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,814
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger
My 2020 Ram 3500 Cummins manual recommends 10w30 for zero degrees and above, and synthetic 5w40 for temps starting below zero. It does NOT differentiate between severe towing or not. I wonder why Ram doesn’t seem to care about severe service (such as me towing a 20K fifth wheel full time.)

Even though I won’t be driving in subzero temps (I have wheels on my house, after all) my intent is to go with Rotella T6 5w40 at 10k, and every 10k thereafter.

Will my mileage suffer greatly?

Roy


No, the fuel economy may drop 0.5%, so you probably won't notice.


2008 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel/G56
1985 Z51 Corvette track car 355/6-speed
2002 Camaro Z28 LS1/6-speed
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel/NV4500+GV
1972 GMC 1500 shortbed project truck 307/SM465
Re: 2020 F450 6.7L oil [Re: SAJEFFC] #5427290 05/12/20 11:59 AM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 25
A
ABChop Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 25
I’ll be running Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 0w40 In my 2020 F350.
I ran it in my 2015 F350 with great results. I had a Blackstone analysis done on every change from new. And tried a few different oils. The Delvac esp is great oil.
And yesI run it year around. From +35c to -45c. Tow year around for work with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™