Hydralic Oil in trtactor

Got an old Belarus 250AS. Been a good cheap Model A workhorse. It simple and got the job done.

Hydralic Oil. Its time to change it again. The Ruskys Operation Manual calls for 30wt Motor Oil. They built this Tractor to work on Collective Farms so it as simple as possible Fuses are a length of diffrent size wires. That simole. The hydralics are a pump, Valves and a single Cylinder double action cylinder with a Screen Filter. I am thinking the 30 wt was used so they would not need to supply Hydralic Oil/Fluid.

Would Regular Tractor Hydralic Fluid Work. With this simple setup it seems it would be even better.

Use whatever they tell you in the manual. Those Belarus are simple, easy to maintain and indestructible.
Their worse side is the electrics, is yours ground positive? A lot of people didn't know this and fried the system way back then.
smile.gif

That kind of thinking is similar to the U.S. military using JP-8 to run just about every engine in Afghanistan.

The Pennzoil and Shell tractor fluids I used to sell were 10W-30. I'm sure they, or another product in that grade would perform well for you.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
How difficult is it to source 30 wt oil ? Detergent or non-detergent ?

15w-40 is the new 30wt.

Not to hard if you have a tractor supply nearby or other farm type store typically. Although like stated earlier 15w40 will also work.

Main concern I would have would be compatibility with other oils.If you don't use your remotes or share equipment,the 30 wt will be fine according to the manual.If you have another tractor or share equipment with cylinders,it could be a problem.In My Op.

None personally but never always had the same oils in my tractors and this is what I have always been told.One of the reasons the industry went to a standard Universal Hydraulic Oil Spec. Good oils of this type have anti foam additives as well as some others.It also is about 20wt,I believe.

Reactions: wdn
Are we replying to this 4 month old thread because we are bored, LOL?

An SAE 30 wt. engine oil would convert to an ISO 100 hydraulic oil. I wonder if this simple system would leak down, maybe overheat on the thinner oils recommended above. Probably should use at least an ISO 68 fluid.

I have a 1949 Farmall H and I have always used #30. I have used both detergent and non detergent, the reason for
thiis weight oil is the pump will leak with transmission fluid or like fluids. There is no problem in cold weather and I
run it for a bit to warm up. Please take this for what I have read in manuals, and this tractor and I grew up together, for me from
1964 and still have. The engine I put in shell rotella 10W-30 and very good cleaning and oil pressure.
Thank you all for the wonderful advice and information!

Back