Ford 4.2L V6 water pump question

Coming back to this awesome resource as my very amateur skills assemble this back together.

Questions:
1. Do I need to apply any silicone based gasket maker to any of the mating surfaces if there is a gasket already included? Attached picture for reference of what the gasket looks like.

2. Recommended torque specs are 15-22 ft/lbs. But what if there is fluid on the threads such as oil or whatever else may be around? Should the torque spec be lower?

Thanks for the help!

AM-259932295.jpg

I know nothing about that make & model engine , but I have installed my share of water pumps over , maybe 50 years .

Have never used a torque wrench on a coolant pump . Just tighten it until it is tight .

I commonly use non hardening Permatex to " glue " the gasket to the removable part . Let it " dry " long enough to hold the gasket in place while getting everything lined up & then start installing fasteners .

If you ever have to replace it again , you throw away the old pump and do not have to scrape sealant from the engine .

All manufacturers never recommend any RTV on top of gaskets as that could cause sealing issues. They can even deny warranty claims because of it. So just make sure the surfaces are clean with no pitting, and install dry.

It also takes almost no time to get a torque wrench so why not do it property. Clean the threads as best as you can and torque to spec.

Yes, install it exactly as the manufacturer tells you to do so. Do you have a service manual? You may be able to find the information online, perhaps on Autozone's website.

Back