Old Bobcat Skidsteer Fluid

Hi all. Long time listener, first time caller. I can usually look through the forums and find my answer, but I can't find this one anywhere.

I'm looking at getting an old Bobcat 600 (1970-ish) that has been upgraded with the VH4D engine, so it's effectively a model 610. One of my first jobs will be a fluid change, but I'm not exactly sure what fluid to use. The manuals for this machine specified various fluids over the years, but the design of the machine didn't change (and any design changes could or should have carried over to older machines through replacement parts) The manuals, depending on the revision, either say "an approved oil" or specify 10W-30, 10W-40, ATF (non-specific formula) or in the latest revision I can find, "Black Gold" which seems to be an obsolete Bobcat house brand. So, effectively, it seems like they'll function on pretty much anything, and people are successfully running all of the above.

What would you suggest for the application? Preferably something readily available and not obscenely expensive (I'd rather not buy 20 gallons of Royal Purple at $60/gallon).

This is a clutch machine, not hydrostatic, so the single reservoir serves as hydraulic fluid (~3,000 psi system), chain case lube, and wet clutch lube. It serves everything on the machine except the engine. My main concern is finding a fluid that will give me smooth operation and good clutch life. Since these clutches are used to steer and operate the machine, I'd classify them as medium speed, medium load, medium temperature, but very high slip. What should I be looking for in that respect? Even the premium hydraulic fluids make no mention of wet clutch applications. Would universal tractor fluid be a good choice? It mentions PTO clutches and wet brakes.

I may be overthinking this, but I figured I'd ask before I go buy 20 gallons of whatever.

Thanks.
-Drew

I would not sweat the choices for lube at all. 10W30, 10w40, or 15w40 dino oil for the engine and farm/tractor supply Dexron type transmission fluid. Rural King has 5 gallon buckets of Dex/Merc type fluid for ~$10 a gallon.

I worked maintenance at a foundry mid / late 1970's . They had a BobCat front end loader to move sand .

It had a left and a right hand " tiller " which controlled front / reverse . As you said , these controlled clutches . Sprockets and chain drive , on each side ( which was a hollow space ) .

Each side space acted as a reservoir , for Dexron ATF , Guessing Dexron I or which ever was current for that time period . The lower part of the chain " loop " ran in the ATF for lubrication . The ATF also served as the hydraulic fluid to operate the bucket in front .

The gasoline engine drove a pair of cone shaped pulley and belt , providing variable speed drive .

https://www.walmart.com/search/?page=2&query=dexron&sort=price_low

Back