PUP vs PP... can't find PUP locally. Is there a difference???

Used PUP in the first two oil changes in my new car. 22.5K change is coming up. Amazon is running weeks behind I guess still and I need to change it soon.
So what is the difference in PUP and PP? I can get PP at the local Walmart. It would stand to reason that the U in PUP means it is a better oil... or is this just marketing fluff? ...or is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum some super oil?

According to my research with the PQIA and many Blackstone Lab reports, not much. PUP might have 2648 calcium and PP might have 2517 calcium. Phosphorus might be 745 compared to 751. Nothing to make a measurable or noticeable difference in the long run. Consistent OCI and filter is the key. Synthetic name brand oils with the API seal are all good. I use PP for my GDI 2019 Sorento for the lower NOACK but will do something else if the price is right.

Last edited:
"Better" ? On paper, maybe and that's a big maybe. Will it make any difference in the real world ? Nope.

Interesting topic! I would like to know too.
My "gut" feeling is that you can absolutely use PP if can you can get it locally. PUP is not that magical oil over PP. Try Walmart.com

I was curious what Penzoil said about these two oil 'types' (not looking at technical stuff for now):

Penzoil Ultra Platinum - (SN/GF-5) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus Technology is a first of its kind full synthetic motor oil made from natural gas and designed for COMPLETE PROTECTION. Redesigned for modern turbocharged engines - API SN PLUS, API SN and all previous categories.

Pennzoil Platinum - (SN/GF-5) Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Technology is a first of its kind full synthetic motor oil made from natural gas and designed for COMPLETE PROTECTION. Redesigned for modern turbocharged engines - API SN PLUS, API SN-Resource Conserving and all previous categories.

They even created a comparison chart for their various oils and these two have just (2) variances. 1) PUP is "for European vehicles" and 2) offers "extreme performance". What ? What is that supposed to mean ?

I used both and would buy PUP is price is about same as PP otherwise PP is a very close second to their best - PUP. There is absolutely no reason to sweat it, use PP and if you so desire - use PUP on following oil change and on.
To me PUP ran a bit quieter and smoother, only enough to notice if you pay close attention.

PP and PUP both have SN+ approvals but PP also has Dexos1 Gen2, which might be a better choice for TGDI applications (reduced timing chain wear, etc.).

All I can say is PUP gave me much smoother and quieter engine vs Mobil1 which I used for a LONG time (did not try PP)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
On the Pennzoil website PUP gets three stars for " Extreme Performance " while PP does not. Obviously they're doing a poor job of backing up that claim.

I really hope no one decides on that oil based on this reference alone ! What in the world is that supposed to mean ?

I looked through the various VOA posts from both and the only real difference is that PUP has a bit more in the add pack and does not carry the dexos1 gen 2 license. I can't imagine that the differences would be noticed over the lifetime of the engine. Run PP and be happy.

Has anyone purchased a jug of PUP that had a sealed top? I've ordered it from Wally's and Amazon before. The non sealed top made me iffy on ordering it again.

*Maybe* PUP has additives that PP doesn't and that do not get measured in the typical analysis or *maybe* the quality of the additives in PUP (PPDs and VIIs for example) are higher than those in PP.

Just wondering out loud. I certainly do not know. All I do know is that I have never seen PUP 0W-20 at a price I thought was reasonable. I have been able to buy some 5W-20 and 5W-30 though.

PP is fine. Apparently, PUP has more detergent / dispersant add pack as SOPUS initially advertised heavily how much cleaner it kept pistons and ring packs in the GM 350 test. They even showed pics of supposed identical tests between PUP & M1, with PUP observationally substantially cleaner. Then they said PP doesn't keep quite as clean.

That marketing blather may still be on SOPUS website, though it's long in the tooth by now.

P.S. - Fleet Farm (upper midwest) is having big sale on Rotella T6.
5 gal. pail reg $129.99 now $74.99. That's $15 per gallon!! Then the slap a mail-in rebate on it and you're down to $39.99 = $8 / gallon. Unreal.

1 gal jugs reg $26.99 now $19.99 per gallon. Mail-in rebate reduces to $12.99 per gal.

I didn't see limits on quantities Perhaps SOPUS is on sale all over? I can't attach a pic from my laptop. It's online and in their paper flyer. Guessing SOPUS warehouse is full and they need to cut their losses or sell at cost?

Good breakdown. Yes, they are different. PUP has higher detergent levels and borate esters.

It was and is a great oil! Marketing was fantastic with the Ferrari in the factory and BMW in Alberta,Canada during winter. Availability was a issue and at times it felt like trying to get a PS5. I think PUP and PP get dinged for people showing additive fallout in the container 🫙. I got to try it out thanks to Gina at Pennzoil. I later moved up from the 0w20 to 5w30 and thought it ran better.

Back