FJ Cruiser Diff/Transfer case oil

Family member just picked up a 38k 2013 FJ Cruiser TT 4x4 with the automatic. I've heard a lot of discord on their forums about 75w-90, 80w-90, 75w-140, etc. The truck will be mostly used for on-road 40/60 hwy/suburban driving. I'm wondering what the word is here. I plan on using Valvoline Syn 75w-90 in the f/r diffs and t-case....just due to the fact I can get a good deal on it after coupons.

Last edited:
Go for it.
It won't matter which syn you use -- Valvoline, Chevron Delo or my personal favorite, Mobil1 syn.
It's just the act of doing it.
smile.gif

My Tacoma has basically the same driveline. I'm using Mobil1 Delvac 75w90. Works great.

My old 4th gen 4runner likely had the same running gear and I used it all (Valvoline, M1, Castrol, Supertech, etc.) and it was all fine, any name brand 75w90 synthetic or even non-syn will work perfectly fine.

I use 80w90 Castrol limited slip dino gear oil in the Tundra in my sig rear diff as it has a clutch based LSD and some owners of these same trucks with LSD reported issues with synthetic out back not playing nice with the clutches even with additive, not sure if it's true but the old school stuff has been fine , still working perfectly at nearly 200k, 75w90 non-syn in the t-case and front diff

Last edited:
I remember reading a tip on diff oil changes, It was meant for older neglected vehicles, but still a good idea. Make sure you can get the fill plug out before you drain it. You know-just in case....

Back