Rotors turned at Oreillys today

Took my 2003 Accord front rotors to Oreillys today to see if they could be turned. They measured them and said they were within limits to be turned and it would be a couple of hours. 45 mins. later they called and said they were ready. They look great and price was $10 per rotor. That's what I call great service.

$10/rotor is cheap.

Make sure you measure the lateral runout of those rotors after install. You may be in for a nasty surprise - a lot of them are out-of-spec after they are turned on a bench lathe. You should see .002" or less, preferably .001" or less.

Originally Posted by The Critic
$10/rotor is cheap.

Make sure you measure the lateral runout of those rotors after install. You may be in for a nasty surprise - a lot of them are out-of-spec after they are turned on a bench lathe. You should see .002" or less, preferably .001" or less.

What causes that? Operator error? Lathe out of tolerance?

Had one turned for my grand marquis due to "lot rot". New part (rear) was $50 for some reason. $12 later and I was happy.

Originally Posted by Donald
$10/rotor is cheap.

All of the above. Also any out of round on the hub will be magnified on the rotor.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by Donald
$10/rotor is cheap.

All of the above. Also any out of round on the hub will be magnified on the rotor.

+1, and adapters in poor condition are a large contributor.

none of the O's do it in my area . machine shops charge about $15 to $20 per rotor. most of the time its cheaper to just by a new one.

Originally Posted by Electromotive
Took my 2003 Accord front rotors to Oreillys today to see if they could be turned. They measured them and said they were within limits to be turned and it would be a couple of hours. 45 mins. later they called and said they were ready. They look great and price was $10 per rotor. That's what I call great service.

So for another 20 bucks you could have bought NEW ONES......

Originally Posted by CKN

If the rotors could be re-machined, they are probably high-quality rotors to begin with. Good luck turning a $30 rotor. Those are throwaway rotors.

In 50 years , I do not think I have ever had a drum / rotor turned . If I am driving it , I run them until they are worn out .

If it is the car Wife drives , no longer have much problem with them , once I finally convinced her to not continue driving it , after it went metal to metal .

Before that , I would replace drums / rotors on her car , if they looked bad .

I am amazed . She drives a 2015 Chevy Sonic with 70,000 + miles on the clock . I have yet to do anything to the brakes . Cross my fingers and knock on wood .

One of my neighbors comes over whenever I work on one of the cars and tries to ask me about what I am doing. When I was doing the brake pads and rotors on my Mustang he couldn't understand why I didn't get them machined. I already had new Ford ones, but if I had to have them machined I would have had to drive another car to either a place to have them done or bring them to my work and do it myself on our lathe. Instead I just slammed on new rotors and called it a day. I was going to save the old ones, but left them outside and now they are a giant rust pile.

Good deal. Around Louisville KY they charge $15-20 each. Turn them if you can. Clean up the rust first as best you can.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by CKN

If the rotors could be re-machined, they are probably high-quality rotors to begin with. Good luck turning a $30 rotor. Those are throwaway rotors.

If you are implying that new aftermarket rotors contain less material than factory rotors, I have to disagree. While I have certainly seen differences in the construction and the quality of the machining, every new rotor I have measured has matched OE spec for the thickness of a new rotor.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
One of my neighbors comes over whenever I work on one of the cars and tries to ask me about what I am doing. When I was doing the brake pads and rotors on my Mustang he couldn't understand why I didn't get them machined. I already had new Ford ones, but if I had to have them machined I would have had to drive another car to either a place to have them done or bring them to my work and do it myself on our lathe. Instead I just slammed on new rotors and called it a day. I was going to save the old ones, but left them outside and now they are a giant rust pile.

Yeah, on most cars your time is worth more than the cost of buying new rotors.

The only time I see it being worth my time is if you are talking heavy truck rotors at $125 each.

Consider yourself lucky that you still have an auto parts place that turns rotors at a reasonable cost. It's becoming the norm that auto parts places are getting out of the business and so are many repair shops.

Back