Oil requirements

Why do people still argue that you MUST use a manufacturers own brand of oil to protect your warranty ? I had a running debate with some guy on FB that refused to admit he was wrong and would not provide any documentation to back up his claim . He also said that automotive oils WILL burn up your engine . Feel free to do what you want but don't tell me I have to use OEM oils .

Just let him go. You know better, and that's all that matters at the end of the day. Hopefully others reading the posts will be enlightened by your part of the conversation and learn from it.

Originally Posted by nomas
Why do people still argue that you MUST use a manufacturers own brand of oil to protect your warranty ? I had a running debate with some guy on FB that refused to admit he was wrong and would not provide any documentation to back up his claim . He also said that automotive oils WILL burn up your engine . Feel free to do what you want but don't tell me I have to use OEM oils .

What people are arguing that? I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard anyone say that.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act discourages automakers from requiring that customers use their brand of XYZ. I'm not sure whether you brought that up because a lot of people forget about this legislation.

However, I have to wonder if your competitor is conflating oil certification with brand?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn

What people are arguing that? I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard anyone say that.

It was on a Facebook page specific to a particular brand of mowers .

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act discourages automakers from requiring that customers use their brand of XYZ. I'm not sure whether you brought that up because a lot of people forget about this legislation.

However, I have to wonder if your competitor is conflating oil certification with brand?

No , he specified Kohler oil for Kohler engines , and so on .

My understanding of the legal requirements when I was a lubricant field rep is that a manufacturer could not require only its brand for maintenance, but could write a requirements specification that others were free to access and attempt to meet. The OEM could also license approvals and advertise the competitor's product as licensed and vice versa. GM's "Dexos" Specification is a prime example. The OEM can require an oil vendor to pay for the license and prove their oil meets the spec. Some elect to do so, some do not (Amsoil is famous for not paying for licensing).

The user is obligated to show proof of change with correct oil, via a service garage or receipts form do-it-yourself. OEM's have deep pockets compared to their customers. Without proof of using an approved or meets-spec oil, you lose.

Back