Do you care if your engine compartment is clean?

Every two years here with engine degreaser,used leaf blower or compressor hose to dry.But I covered those electrical connector and the alternator,put rug on air filter inlet,drive around after

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Water getting hydraulically applied into the nooks and crannies of an engine/wiring under the hood is just wrong and can cause problems. Luckily the days of seeping oily mess under hood are gone and other than dust it stays clean on its own.

Electrical connectors are weather sealed. In the shop we shampoo and pressure wash engines every day. Never an issue, just avoid the alternator.

Only time I've ever had an issue with washing the engine bay was back when engines had distributor caps and plug wires
Those days are long gone
Thank goodness !!

I prefer a fairly clean engine. I remember, though, that Click and Clack were against engine cleaning, as they thought it was too risky for electricals.

I wipe engine bay parts down by category.

Black metal on a given session. Those big black air hoses on another.

I have known people who live on long dirt drives who've had 1/4" of soil on every square inch of underhood everything.

Nope. My cars don't leak so they aren't oily, but they get really dusty here in the desert.

I've pressure washed under the Jeep's hood a couple times though and used some engine degreaser.

Originally Posted by ET16
I prefer a fairly clean engine. I remember, though, that Click and Clack were against engine cleaning, as they thought it was too risky for electricals.

With pressure washing maybe, but if I can't run a garden hose over my engine without problems, that's a problem. I drive in rain and stuff.

I've never had a problem with electronics personally, though I did see it every now and then years ago when I worked at an auction where we would pressure wash some engine bays.

I like to take a long drive immediately after to make sure things are dry. Some connections get sprayed with connector cleaner (aerosol rubbing alcohol).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nick1994
Nope. My cars don't leak so they aren't oily, but they get really dusty here in the desert.

I've pressure washed under the Jeep's hood a couple times though and used some engine degreaser.

Never pressure wash the engine bay
That's when you have problems
Gentle spray from the garden hose is all that's needed

i use the remainder of what's in my car wash bucket and gently spray the whole engine compartment down. I try not to direct water to fuse boxes, etc. My engine bays always look clean. Some stay new looking. I've never had an issue having done this since the 1980s. I do realize there's risks, so I guess I've been lucky.

I'll do it once a year or so. If you keep it clean it doesn't take much to keep it clean. Never high pressure. I use 303 on it after it's dry. My engines still look good when they hit 100k. And I hope they still look good when they hit 200k

I'd bet if you ask guys like Cline who makes his living working on cars and trucks
I bet he appreciates a customer who keeps an engine bay clean
Makes his job somewhat easier

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Water getting hydraulically applied into the nooks and crannies of an engine/wiring under the hood is just wrong and can cause problems. Luckily the days of seeping oily mess under hood are gone and other than dust it stays clean on its own.

Electrical connectors are weather sealed. In the shop we shampoo and pressure wash engines every day. Never an issue, just avoid the alternator.

They are...until they aren't. Time and severe service conditions and heat take their toll, maybe you can be certain for five or six years, but then....well ...

It's a good practice to clean it up a bit and use some black restorer on the hoses and plastic parts before you vehicle goes into the shop. Tech pops the hood and sees the engine bay is clean. Psychologically, he'll know if you're this detailed oriented, he usually won't try to pull a fast one on you, generally speaking.

Yes.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by gman2304

I found this out the hard way on my 1988 300 ZX in about 1990. The dealer said something about water In the engine compartment had damaged a couple of electrical components, I can't remember exactly what. I didn't comment but I do remember it cost almost $500. Since that lesson, I use Simple Green in a spray bottle and just hit the high spots.

Funny - A 300ZX was my initiation into water damaging connectors - not mine a good client of mine that I hung out with on a regular basis,

I watched him struggle with everything turning green.

Had motorcycles that got wet constantly with no problems...

UD

Last edited:
No. I never clean under the hood. Does look very cool when it's clean but I don't bother. It's supposed to be dirty under the hood.

Back