Rotella 15W40 T6 Synthetic

I noticed this oil at Walmart and I have been searching for a readily available high quality oil for my 87 Mustang with a built up roller motor. It only comes out in warm weather so cold starts aren't really an issue. My buddy who builds engines for a living said not to use any Rotella products because they will foam at high rpms. Now I have used Rotella T4 in lots of older motors but never anything that revs to 7000. The 5w40 has given me oil consumption issues in the past as well as any 10w30 oil I've used which is why I'd like to try this stuff. What's everyone's thoughts on this oil?

Your buddy has no idea what he's talking about. Not sure if that weight is ideal but Rotella T6 has a proven track record in numerous applications.

T6 15W-40 is what I used in all my Japanese motorcycles. Those things don't even break a sweat at 7,000 rpm. No foam. Not that this applies to you, but it gave me the best shift quality of any other oil I tried.

Foam. What a crock of baloney. The HDEO oils since the Cat and International HEUI engines have had more anti foam than I would bet any other oils on the market. I have used HDEO is my big block flat bottom drag boats and they were 8,000 rpm engines. I used the same oil that I used in the wife's 2002 F250 with the 7.3 diesel engine

LOL Foam... I also use the T6 15-40 or M1 15-50 in [censored] motorcycles one of which is supercharged with zero issues Foam or otherwise. and the gear shifting is where you can feel it like butter. There is unicorn squeezins in these add packs :). I would not hesitate putting that stuff in that car. You may also notice the oil pressure stays up better too.

Thought HDEO uses the same foam test as NMMA 4 stroke oils …
Only foaming I ever heard of was a Suzuki with PCMO, not HDEO …

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
T6 15W-40 is what I used in all my Japanese motorcycles. Those things don't even break a sweat at 7,000 rpm. No foam. Not that this applies to you, but it gave me the best shift quality of any other oil I tried.

T6 15w40? does such a thing exist?
confused2.gif

I used to run T4 15w40 in my SV650s all the way up to 12k rpm's with no issues.

Here is a VOA for it, 1080 ppm zinc which should be fine for a flat tappet cam.

Being a 15W40 and a synthetic it should have a very low polymer VII load for great shear stability. It would also have a very low Noack volatility too, it would be nice to know the actual volatility % but I've not seen it anywhere but it would have to be well under 10% IMO.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5069502/

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote

I ran it in my '97 Jetta and '05 Yamaha bike, great oil.

Wish we had T6 15W-40 here in Europe, we only have something similar to T4 which is Shell Rimula R4X 15W-40, an old school Dino SL / CI-4 / E7 HDEO with 1200-1300ppm ZDDP, i've used it for about 4 years but the only local place that carries it sometimes goes for months without having it in stock... then there's Rimula R6M 10W-40 which is a GTL Full-syn HDEO with 1400+ppm of ZDDP but no gas engine specs sadly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
. then there's Rimula R6M 10W-40 which is a GTL Full-syn HDEO with 1400+ppm of ZDDP but no gas engine specs sadly.

My LC & OPEs loves it....

Autodoc has it...

Back