Android 10" tablet?

I am looking for an ebook reader, wifey wants something to play youtube videos in kitchen. We both have computers to do computing work on, so these tablets would get a very light use. Amazon kindle fire 10 inch is going for 150; Android tablets for 100.

Now I've learned not to cheap out when buying computers. With previous laptops (before my current one), I was quite happy to replace, because they were overheating and giving me other problems. This current laptop I have (I paid a lot more for this one), is almost like new at 4 years. So I realize that you get what you pay for.

But still--is there a reason I should be shy of a $100 tablet, for such light use cases?

Last edited:
Very happy with my eight inch Fire. Also have a seven inch. Had the mid range Samsung eight tablet which lasted about three years, other than not being part of the Chromoverse for seamlessly swapping bookmarks, I'm very happy with the Fire-- as good as the Samsung selling for twice as much. Don't mind the Silk browser at all, imported all of the Chrome bookmarks without any problems. To me eight inches is the sweet spot for tablets. although I've never had a larger one. A cheap eleven inch Chromebook sans touch screen plus an eight inch tablet covers the bases for me more than paying extra for one device that serves both purposes.

Always amazed that people who are incensed after buying a Fire with offers. The only thing that comes up is a display based on their guess of what you want to buy when the thing's off. Obviously Amazon is giving you much more hardware for the money in the hope you'll buy stuff from them.

Last edited:
I have the Fire10, 9th generation. Love it, but I prefer the paperwhite for reading.

Originally Posted by csandste
Always amazed that people who are incensed after buying a Fire with browsers. The only thing that comes up is a display based on their guess of what you want to buy when the thing's off. Obviously Amazon is giving you much more hardware for the money in the hope you'll buy stuff from them.

I've got a Fire HD 8 also. There are hacks on YouTube that show you how to get rid of all the Amazon ads, etc (it's really only on the screen when the tablet is asleep) and make it a full Google type android device which means you can then also download any App from the Google App Store. But I just ignore those ad now, doesn't bother me. And Amazon has their own App Store, so enough for me ... don't need the Google App Store for my use. If you buy stuff on Amazon, the Fire HD makes it very easy to buy stuff, no surprise there.

I had an Acer 10" tablet , Great; now I have a Amazon Fire 10. Two things, battery life is poor, and I can't download Android apps, otherwise a very nice tablet, Great screen resolution.

To my wife,storage is everything. She likes audio books, and they can take up some space. Even expandable storage is little help because the Kindle app/Amazon Audiobooks app do not take full advantage of it. To me this has always been the greatest failure of Android in general. There are only certain tablet or phones that will let you use an SD Card as internal storage, and I haven't found them yet!

That being said, it's still good to have an SD Card slot on a tablet. I just recently read an article that said WalMart is offering, or about to offer 2 NEW tablets that have 32 GB of internal storage as well as plenty of ram (like 3gb), I would look into those very closely since they will be offered at "around" $100.00. You won't recognize the brand name, and I can't remember what it is, I know it's definitely NOT Samsung. I don't know if they will offer an SD slot.

A 10" tablet can get really heavy when reading, watch out for that. My wife prefers an 8" format Samsung for audio and choosing titles. For handheld reading, the new Paperwhite is excellent. Especially with a little lap pillow (Barnes & Nobel).

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
I had an Acer 10" tablet , Great; now I have a Amazon Fire 10. Two things, battery life is poor, and I can't download Android apps, otherwise a very nice tablet, Great screen resolution.

Go search YouTube ... there are tons of videos that show how to make an Amazon Fire tablet a full blown Android that can download any Android App.

Originally Posted by JohnG
There are only certain tablet or phones that will let you use an SD Card as internal storage, and I haven't found them yet!

Fire tablets do allow the SD card memory to act as internal storage.

I'm not worried about a 10" tablet being heavy--when I read this way I'm sitting down if not lying down.

I looked at the paperwhite, but I couldn't find on in 10" form. I really like the 10" ipad my daughter has, but the 7" kindles are just too small, so I want to stick with 10".

Wifey has a 10" Samsung too, and likes it for the morning news/videos, even some reading. But when it comes to serious reading, it's the paperwhite.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Just buy the $300-$400 iPad. They have much longer support of OS, nice screens and last 4-5 years.

We are long time iPad users (on one now that's a 2015 and son has 2014) …
(of course wife/daughter have newer)
We all have iPhones and the Apple Watch too … love the device interactions
So … at one time it was widely said that Apple is more secure …
Thoughts on that in 2020 ?

I have the 10" Fire HD tablet and it's great. Not a powerhouse like my iPad for work but it's great for watching youtube and other light duties.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by madRiver
Just buy the $300-$400 iPad. They have much longer support of OS, nice screens and last 4-5 years.

We are long time iPad users (on one now that's a 2015 and son has 2014) …
(of course wife/daughter have newer)
We all have iPhones and the Apple Watch too … love the device interactions
So … at one time it was widely said that Apple is more secure …
Thoughts on that in 2020 ?

The issue with android is each manufacturer likes to release their own tweaked version of Android, which means updates can take awhile or be non-existent.

Don't most tablets last that long-iPad or not?

Originally Posted by 4WD
madRiver said:

Back