Do you care if your engine compartment is clean?

While working on my sister in laws vehicle and noticing various possible fluid leaks in the engine compartment area it made me think about cleaning it to better see where leak is. This led me to think about how often people clean their engine compartments due to dirt, grime, fluids etc.

I bet over 40+ years of driving I may have only cleaned the engine compartment a handful of times. I also never did something like sprayed protectant on rubber parts to shine them up.

How about you guys? Are you anal about a clean looking engine?

As long as it's not rusty, I'm happy
smile.gif

I prefer them to be somewhat clean. It makes working on them easier, spotting problems easier, and it just looks better.

I clean the engines in my trucks once about every 2 years. They don't get that dirty.

Here's my 1994 Explorer, picture taken around 250K miles...
[Linked Image]

Water getting hydraulically applied into the nooks and crannies of an engine/wiring under the hood is just wrong and can cause problems. Luckily the days of seeping oily mess under hood are gone and other than dust it stays clean on its own.

Last edited:
Yeah, I like to have my engine bay clean. Cant say spotless that you could eat off clean though. I usually use 303 Protectant to wipe things down that is black. Just a old soapy rag for other things in the engine compartment.

Yes

A can of scrubbing bubbles shower spray
Let soak for a couple of minutes on a warm engine
Rinse with soft shower setting on hose

Gets it twice a year whether it needs it or not ðŸ‘

Also clean the under carriage as well every time I wash
And spray with Chemical Guys under carriage spray once a month

Last edited:
I clean all my vehicles engines every Spring, to get the salt and junk off. I actually touch up the radiator and other grounding points with some paint if needed too.

Have to make 'em last in the rust belt. I even clean my company car - 'cause I'm a nice guy.

For a daily driver, no. I don't understand why others go through the effort of keeping their daily drivers engine compartments spotless. Then again, The most off roading I do is my backyard.

Weekend toy/show car? Yes, I'd keep it clean.

My most important area on my vehicles gets and stays clean. I cover the alt with a big towel, use only rinse and DO NOT hit any connections up close. The wand never gets closer than 18". Never a problem either. Knock on wood.................

clean all my vehicles engines on a regular basis. been doing it for 30 years or more. i even do it when i am helping someone fix something on their car. i just can't stand a dirty engine compartment. to me , a clean car both inside and out means a loved car

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Water getting hydraulically applied into the nooks and crannies of an engine/wiring under the hood is just wrong and can cause problems. Luckily the days of seeping oily mess under hood are gone and other than dust it stays clean on its own.

I found this out the hard way on my 1988 300 ZX in about 1990. The dealer said something about water In the engine compartment had damaged a couple of electrical components, I can't remember exactly what. I didn't comment but I do remember it cost almost $500. Since that lesson, I use Simple Green in a spray bottle and just hit the high spots.

Every time I wash the car the engine bay gets wiped down.

Correct.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Correct.

Yup once the connectors get wet the corrosion process starts.

I wipe them but never hose them down.

UD

Back