Kitchenaid Mixers

I have proposed the idea of buying the fiancee a standing mixer for our anniversary gift.

I am considering the Kitchenaid Pro 600 series or their Pro Line 7 qt model.

Pro 600 series: https://www.kitchenaid.com/refurbis...rt-bowl-lift-stand-mixer.rkp26m1xer.html

Pro line 7 qt: https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...rt-bowl-lift-stand-mixer.ksm7586pca.html

She plans to use it several times a month and I would prefer to buy something that will last a while. It appears that the Pro Line model has a stronger motor, possibly all metal construction and the 5-yr warranty. The refurb one only has a 6 month warranty. The price difference is staggering though.

Both models have been out for 5+ years.

What do you guys recommend?

Making a lot of bread, especially large batches?

I think we have had a 6 quart bowl lift for several years with no issues... Not a lot of bread, though, just general mixing.

I would recommend the one that has the base that moves. Some models have the head that hinges. I always thought those would wear out quicker.

Umm... so was this her idea or yours? Did she look genuinely happy when you proposed this or does she just not want to hurt your feelings?

Buying something for your SO that places them in the kitchen can send the wrong message and lead to issues.
smile.gif

my wife has had a kitchenaid mixer for like 20 or so years , has never failed her yet...cant really remember how much it was at the time but wasn't cheap even then,,,,well worth the money I'd say

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Yep, get her a new vacuum while your at it.

Rod

lol, yes it is bad form to get someone a present that involves domestic labor, unless they specifically ASKED for one and even then... Get the mixer but get her something totally unnecessary that is hers alone for the anniversary present.

I recommend that you go to some cooking forum where they use these mixers a lot, to find out if they are refurbished because they break often.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Umm... so was this her idea or yours? Did she look genuinely happy when you proposed this or does she just not want to hurt your feelings?

Buying something for your SO that places them in the kitchen can send the wrong message and lead to issues.
smile.gif

It was my idea and she seemed fine with it. I think she does desparately want an upgrade to her current mixer.

I bought my wife a steam and dry iron for her birthday about 20 years ago. Her birthday is February 15th so she still wonders whether it was a Valentines gift or a birthday gift. We still chuckle about that gift after all these years. I don't know the model of my wife's Kitchenaid mixer but she commented how much she liked it a few days ago while she was using it to make a coconut pound cake. Stay away from all the optional gadgets available for it or you'll soon be in bankruptcy.

Refurbs are out of stock no?

These machines are fairly simple (We have a smaller one). I would not hesitates buying a refurb other than for cosmetic issues.

I can't assist with which model to buy. My wife's lift stand type is over 25 years old and she adores it. She used to do wedding cakes on the side. Buy the one she prefers. Buy once, cry once. They are worth every dollar.

If you can buy each other practical anniversary gifts that you will use and appreciate for decades to come, you are way ahead of the game. Kudos to you. We never were into frivolous trinkets with no practical value, so my opinion might be moot. My wife gets excited about a new garden tool or something to assist maintaining her chickens!

I have had my kitchenaid for like 40 years now. I have mostly cut out breads, cakes, cookies and really there simply is not much good for you stuff that needs a mixer. I do have the meat grinder, and the slicer grater thing, that gets used when I process a deer or make hamburger blend.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Refurbs are out of stock no?

These machines are fairly simple (We have a smaller one). I would not hesitates buying a refurb other than for cosmetic issues.

I got lucky - the color that she wants is back-in-stock:

https://www.kitchenaid.com/refurbis...rt-bowl-lift-stand-mixer.rkp26m1xer.html

Decided to move forward with this one for now. Could not justify the $300 price difference between this one and the Pro Line.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Yep, get her a new vacuum while your at it.

Rod

And a carpet cleaning machine.

I went to the gun store last week with my wife and bought a gun. I asked the wife if she had some cash. She whipped out the cash and said happy mothers day Steve.

Back