I had the chance to by a(n)________and didn't do it.

Now you're kicking yourself in retrospect that you didn't buy what vehicle?

For me: 1993 LandCruiser. I went through about 5 other cars when I could have gotten a fam car and an off roader for off roading.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Now you're kicking yourself in retrospect that you didn't buy what vehicle?

For me: 1993 LandCruiser. I went through about 5 other cars when I could have gotten a fam car and an off roader for off roading.

Oh man, where to start...

1969 Torino Talladega
1969 Road Runner 383 with four speed manual and factory A/C
1970 Cyclone Spoiler(429 CJ)
1972 Jensen Interceptor
1988 E30 M3(for $8k)
2003 E46 M3(no options save H-K audio, heated seats, and Xenons

Not me but a really nice resident of a retirement home that I worked for years ago was offered a real Original Ford GT for $40,000 back in the late 80's. It now sits in a collection in Colorado. His wife told him only an idiot pays that mind of money for a car and no he's not getting one. Needless to say that would have been quite the investment as they are 8-12 million for one now.

I had an 85 318i. Wish I hadn't traded in. Bullet-proof, slow, but fun

I love the E30 3 Series. I want to get one before prices go nuts- a 325is preferably.

A 1996 (?) Special Anniversary Edition of a Saab 9000. not dead certain about the year or which anniversary
A 200? Nissan Leaf electric car. Found out it was a tour d'force Japanese showpiece car. I immediately ran back to the seller's house and it was gone.

Thanks to the OP for making me feel real bad. (Ha-ha)

I know I am a Ford guy, but I had a chance to buy a 98 Camaro Z28 that had been very tastefully modified about 15 years ago for $8k and passed up on it. Also had a chance to buy a 04 GTO that I knew the original owner and he would have sold it to me for cheap, instead he sold it to a friend of mine who has proceeded to kinda ruin it.

Try to beat this:

Summer 1976, recently married living in the Bay area.

Sunday SF paper ad Ferrari of Los Gatos 1967 Ferrari 330GTC $17,500. Nice but not mint.

Saw it, drove it. Also in the showroom not advertised a MB 300SL roadster, not the Gullwing. $20,000

Didn't drive it. Immaculate unrestored.

Salesman said same owner was motivated, could have both for $35,000.

I could afford one but not both. I walked.

That Sunday was the German GP where Niki Lauda had his horrific accident (movie RUSH).

15 years later, Barrett Jackson auction Phoenix, that same Ferrari (I recorded the VIN) bid to $270,000 but didn't meet reserve.

I was not a bidder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MCompact
I had an 85 318i. Wish I hadn't traded in. Bullet-proof, slow, but fun

I love the E30 3 Series. I want to get one before prices go nuts- a 325is preferably.

thumbsup2.gif

Many buyers in the US don't realize how much cheaper they are (as well as other classics) up here in Canada - especially on the West Coast.
You can save thousands on them and since they are over 25 years of age, importing into the US is a breeze.

Actually, there;s a seller nearby me who's selling an e30 M3 Evo2 edition for 125,000 Canuk bucks (which is like 30K USD)!
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/bmw/m/r...orup=1_6_6&pc=V6B%204K8&sprx=100

There have been a few, but these stick out:

New 1994 NAS Land Rover Defender, knew they were only going to sell them here for a few years, knew they'd hold value, knew they'd be a blast to own and still let them go...
Early 70's BMW 3.0CS, just beautiful, had a chance but had just graduated college and had more responsible things to be spending money on....should have bought it
'88 or so Peugeot 505 V6, the Sport model w/ alloys and the little trunk lip..so French and a bit weird...had a chance to get a low mileage time warp one, now where would you ever find one again?

And lastly; a Nanchang CJ-6...someone really needed to get out of one fast, once in a lifetime low price, had a few folks to go in w/ me and walking away was probably one of the best decisions we ever made
grin.gif

1973 BMW Bavaria. Drove great. Had a 3 speed automatic transmission (sad!) No rust. One dented fender, poorly bondoed. Seller-disclosed minor brake fluid leak. Skinny tires, 175/80R14 or thereabouts. (175R14) $1500. Dude already had an offer of $1500, asking price. I also offered asking price, and a case of beer. Guess he liked attention? I wouldn't be cow-towed into paying more than asking, so I walked. Car was amazing-- glass everywhere, real skinny pillars, lots of room and tasteful chrome. Mostly hard surfaces. No pleather.

Same car reappeared six months later in a different town, so I figure someone bought it and found some gremlins, so I let it go.

1998 Lincoln town car with 80k miles for $800. Was the guys MILs. Florida car, no rust. I saw the ad at 11pm and emailed, but didn't call the number, b/c I didn't want to be rude. I called the guy the next morning, was 2nd in line, but 1st to show up. Dude held the car for #1 and sold it on the spot when they showed up. Drat.

Plymouth Superbird back in 1983, guy wanted $5,000 for it. I did not have the cash, but I probably could have made a deal with devil to buy it (and perhaps should have).

Two stick in my mind.
One a Turner (betcha not too many or you know what that is) and the other a Lancia Flaminia ragtop (betcha only a few more know what that is).
These were both original cars in very nice condition without a lot of use.
The Lancia would have run $3500.00 in 1980 while the far more rudimentary Turner could have been bought for maybe a grand and a half.
I offered $800.00 for the Turner when I could barely afford that and was shown the door.
The Lancia scared me so I spent my $3500.00 on an MGB instead.
There were later Lancias (really nice shapes with Fiat mechanicals) available as new cars for cheap and some were quite nice.

Good friend of mine growing up and graduating high school with. His Dad lost is business, lost his son and had his house foreclosed all within 18 months. He started drinking heavily after that and got really depressed. Had a 1970 Dodge Challenger 440 4 Barrel with auto trans with less than 40k on it. Drunk one nite -- said he would sell it to me for 7 grand. This was in 1992 and I was only 19 at the time. Tried talking my Dad into co-signing and Dad would not go for it. His Dad moved out to the other end of the State to live with his Daughter. Never seen or heard from him or what happened to the pearl white/black top Challenger.

Back