Help me talk him out of it...

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
In general, the engine has been around for a long time and used in a lot of vehicles, so it has been well tested. Despite that they had some issues early on, the 3.6L V6 Pentastar is a great engine, one of the most reliable engines available on the market right now.

And if he makes an oops and gets a bad one... it should be cheap to replace, since oodles of them were made.

I dunno, I still have reservations about FCA. They're better, but that's never been a resounding note of approval. A 2013 has quite a number of years and miles. But less than a 1998. Depending on his age I might vote for the newer car, even if it was "more unreliable" if only for the large increase in safety--your son may be the best driver ever, but then that means everyone else on the road isn't. There's something to be said for walking away from an accident, all the more so when you're not much of a gearhead and don't appreciate something vintage.

Maybe we need to put numbers to paper. What does a proper scanner for this newer car cost, and what are the costs for the typical repairs? Sometimes I think we wring our hands extensively when a $250 scanner and keeping some benjamins in an envelope would cover 99% of expected problems.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
He'll regret that one very soon. Pentastar 3.6 was garbage as is the car around it. He'll be able to buy another jeep with the repair bills...

The "WE HATE FCA!!!" love fest where you can spread your inaccurate opinions with other like minded individuals meets every Thursday at 6pm.

The v6 is good, though 2013 used the older style oil filter assembly which you do need to be careful with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by Brybo86
While I doubt the jaguar is super reliable , I love the looks of them...

Jaguar? Its a Jeep Cherokee.

Oh wow.

Eyhh I was thinking jaguar XJ.... They also have a 4.0... lol

Last edited:
You can't fault anyone wanting to move up from a 22 year old vehicle. XJs are what they are but no way did that 98 Jeep make it 22 years without fixing whatever needed fixed along the way. Can't deny the Challenger has modern safety features that might outweigh in a dad's mind any possible mechanical spots. Unless dad has a financial stake like co-signing, hard as it is sometimes you let them learn things on their own. Offer an opinion and stand down. Funny, BITD XJs were dismissed as not real Jeeps, now they're revered.

Originally Posted by Trav
While I doubt the jaguar is super reliable , I love the looks of them...

Jaguar? Its a Jeep Cherokee.

Oh wow.

Eyhh I was thinking jaguar XJ.... They also have a 4.0... lol

I initial thought the same thing until the op mentioned it was reliable. That was the tip off.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by AZjeff
You can't fault anyone wanting to move up from a 22 year old vehicle. XJs are what they are but no way did that 98 Jeep make it 22 years without fixing whatever needed fixed along the way. Can't deny the Challenger has modern safety features that might outweigh in a dad's mind any possible mechanical spots. Unless dad has a financial stake like co-signing, hard as it is sometimes you let them learn things on their own. Offer an opinion and stand down. Funny, BITD XJs were dismissed as not real Jeeps, now they're revered.

I think this is key.

It's a big difference if son is living on his own or has zero bills along with the means to finance a vehicle, compared to the vehicle being a reason he can't move out. A friend of mine made this mistake with a truck he bought. He could barely afford the truck, never mind living expenses. If the OP's son is in a similar situation, it might not impact him directly if he doesn't co-sign, but it might bring up other issues for him.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
You're son will figure it out one way or another.

+1

Some of my best lessons were learnt the hard way.
Other times, I've proven my father wrong with his advise.

Either way, everyone's learning!
smile.gif

Well-thanks for all the advice! He still lives at home, graduated from college (2 yr. associate's degree), works full time, has saved enough money to buy a car, but I had hoped to convince him to buy something a little more practical & reliable. Won't need a loan, or me to co-sign, but I had hoped to talk him into something a little more reliable & practical.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Please do. Ohio's winter season is no joke and that kid would be white knuckled often in a RWD coupe.

Or, with the right tires, having an absolute blast.

Pretty sure you can run 17" snows on a base Challenger.

I will note (and suggest you note to him) that a Charger is mechanically the same car, more practical, costs less, and probably MUCH cheaper to insure.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Please do. Ohio's winter season is no joke and that kid would be white knuckled often in a RWD coupe.

It's not that bad if you can actually drive and have decent tires. Only once did I have a "I might not be able to go up this hill" moment in my RWD 300 on all seasons.

Well-I guess "good" news-apparently Challengers have rear quarter rust issues in front of the rear wheels, BOTH of the ones we looked at had rust bubbling through! I think I finally have him talked into an Accord or Corolla, I told him to save his money-when he gets his own place with a decent garage we'll go down south & look for one.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
He'll regret that one very soon. Pentastar 3.6 was garbage as is the car around it. He'll be able to buy another jeep with the repair bills...

The 3.6 Pentastar is one of the most reliable engines of any brand. I have a 2018 Wrangler and it's outstanding ðŸ‘

I would talk him into a RT with a hemi, LX cars are [censored] dependable!

Back