Hertz Car Rental Fire sale Monday

I've bought 1 year old ex rental cars in the past and had no problems. They cosmetically had more dings and scratches but didn't suffer any major breakdowns from alleged abuse. Sounds like there will be some great deals in the used car market soon.

I bought 2 Fords in the 70's from Hertz in NJ. They had been NY airport cars. Never had any trouble with them. I don't think they serviced them very well back then.
Last night I found some 19 Tundras in Tx for around $30k. 15-25k miles. Crew cab, 4wd, tow pkg and bed liners.
Several 19 Yukons around $30k plus In Va.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Time to bring OJ out of retirement.

For a minute there I thought you were referring to needing someone killed and getting away with it.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Per Jeremy Clarkson, rental cars with an insurance plans are the fastest cars...... in the world.

And the best off road vehicle is a rental car.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by sloinker
Time to bring OJ out of retirement.

For a minute there I thought you were referring to needing someone killed and getting away with it.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Per Jeremy Clarkson, rental cars with an insurance plans are the fastest cars...... in the world.

And the best off road vehicle is a rental car.

wait...OJ was acquitted leave the guy alone.....
grin2.gif

I recently purchased a 2018 Chevy Cruze Premier with approx. 28000 miles from Enterprise and I am very pleased with it. Both interior and exterior are in excellent condition, the car drives well and the price was lower than similar offerings from Carvanna and CarMax with more miles. I searched extensively for the Premier trim and I found few worthy examples in the New York metro area. It is my first rental car purchase but the process was so transparent that it may not be my last.

Originally Posted by djb
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
2019 Kona AWD with 20K miles for $16K; if I were not so cheap, i'd be on it.

Is that a good deal? A quick search suggested that MSRP for a base model was under $20K.

IMO, yes AWD is > $1200 option and there is no destination fee (which is probably $1000); so bare bones, a car that is discounted over $6000 for 20K miles.

I'm surprised how many cars they have for sale with more than 80K miles. I would be shocked if I picked up a rental with that many miles. Usually, I get 20K or less, more than a few times I've received cars with less than 10 miles on them.

Originally Posted by CARJ
The prices are pretty crazy. Many 2020 models with 20k or fewer miles for way less than MSRP.

Car looses half it's value as soon as it leaves the lot
(for every mere mortal)

Prices would need to be much more aggressive to move me and looking there isn't any model they have for sale I would want.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
CARJ said:
(for every mere mortal)

Does anyone still believe this old canard?
One gets tired of reading it.

There was a bunch of 2018-19 Nissan Rogue AWDs within ~200 miles of me earlier today on the Hertz site for $13-14K. Don't see'em now.

Originally Posted by JTK
Is Hertz the only one going down? Are they even the largest of the rental car companies? Makes you wonder how this is going to play out for the business. Fewer cars, higher mileage on them, etc.

In terms of buying ex-rentals, I've never had a problem and have had a few domestic ex-rentals as well as Hyundais and Nissans. CVTs even!. My 2016 Quest and current 2019 Pathfinder might have come from Hertz.

I do browse the Hertz cars sales site from time to time. I paid just uder $24K for my 2019 Pathfinder with 23K miles on it in Oct 2019. You can buy a 2018 with 40K on it through Hertz now for around $16K. Wow. My resale went from Nissan bad to horrible.

I recall EAN Holdings (National & Enterprise) is the largest rental car company.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I recall EAN Holdings (National & Enterprise) is the largest rental car company.

Yeah, they do a lot of insurance rentals and also dealership rentals.

Originally Posted by earthbound
wait...OJ was acquitted leave the guy alone.....
grin2.gif

He was guilty in the civil trial, I don't think he ever paid though.

And again no sane person would brake torque or off-road a freaking Kona. But I want a Stinger GT2 AWD and with a former rental would be afraid of the forth and fifth laws of thermodynamics; 4) No good deed goes unpunished and 5) As horsepower and torque increase, responsible decisions decrease.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by JTK
Is Hertz the only one going down? Are they even the largest of the rental car companies? Makes you wonder how this is going to play out for the business. Fewer cars, higher mileage on them, etc.

In terms of buying ex-rentals, I've never had a problem and have had a few domestic ex-rentals as well as Hyundais and Nissans. CVTs even!. My 2016 Quest and current 2019 Pathfinder might have come from Hertz.

I do browse the Hertz cars sales site from time to time. I paid just uder $24K for my 2019 Pathfinder with 23K miles on it in Oct 2019. You can buy a 2018 with 40K on it through Hertz now for around $16K. Wow. My resale went from Nissan bad to horrible.

Enterprise announced they are laying off 2,000 employees here today.

Originally Posted by GZRider
And again no sane person would brake torque or off-road a freaking Kona. But I want a Stinger GT2 AWD and with a former rental would be afraid of the forth and fifth laws of thermodynamics; 4) No good deed goes unpunished and 5) As horsepower and torque increase, responsible decisions decrease.

LOL. I brake torqued the company Prius back in the day. Didn't really do much to help the mediocre acceleration. The only redeeming quality on that car was the fuel economy.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
CARJ said:
(for every mere mortal)

Does anyone still believe this old canard?
One gets tired of reading it.

Not only believe it, experienced it several times first hand.

Also take any brand new car then put it into any instaquote service and they apparently believe it too.

That's why if I get a car it's gotta be around wholesale or lower and I plan on running it into the ground. Selling it isn't really an option, trading it in very occasionally works out but usually can get the same deal with no trade.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
not seeing any great deals on their website near my zip code.

That's because there aren't any great deals, just fair, since they don't bargain I would wait

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CARJ
The prices are pretty crazy. Many 2020 models with 20k or fewer miles for way less than MSRP.

(for every mere mortal)

Huh? No they don't. Normal depreciation is about 50% in 38-40 months.

Originally Posted by GZRider

You brake torque whatever car the rental company gives you. It's just for fun, that's what they're for. When you're used to a much faster car, you tend to flog the rental. A friend of mine did off road a Jeep once, read the contract afterwards which said no off roading. They didn't know though because we gave it a car wash afterwards so it looked fine.

Back