07 Accord 2500rpm shudder

My brother just sent me this video and said his car is doing this exact same thing. Shudders at 2500 rpm and doesn't want to rev higher. It's an 07 Accord EX-L with the 2.4 engine. 167,000 miles. Check engine light is on.

Step 1: Read codes with scan tool.
Step 2: Reset codes

Drive. If it persist or returns go to step 3.

It may be a rev limiter that is imposed by the computer due to the fault.

Step 3: Research code, evaluate what failed (part, wire, etc.)

Last edited:
Cel code would be a place to start......

Did you read YouTube comments ?

OP of video says air filter was completely plugged

He changed it and problem hasn't come back.......

Screenshot_20200501-104916.png

Last edited:
Whenever a check engine light is on, get the code.

On the older models with timing belts, if the belt skips back a tooth it won't rev over about 3000, but that is unlikely with a chain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brybo86
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I told him to run to AutoZone and have them read the codes for him.

Tell him to look at the air filter

Will do,thanks!

Of course if it is the AF, OP will have to endure being beaten with a wet noodle on BITOG.

Any chance it could be a VTEC issue like a solenoid? I'm not a honda guy.

My guess is something is wrong with the throttle body. The fuse or relay for the throttle body or the throttle position sensor. My bet would be the throttle position sensor. This needs to be confirmed by scanning the codes. Check the air filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378

On the older models with timing belts, if the belt skips back a tooth it won't rev over about 3000, but that is unlikely with a chain.

It is very common on these K series motor with the chain to jump teeth. Normally happens on cars that burn oil and the oil level is allowed to run low.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
Originally Posted by mk378

It is very common on these K series motor with the chain to jump teeth. Normally happens on cars that burn oil and the oil level is allowed to run low.

This most likely is it. I'm at 285K but my oil levels are normally never below 1/2 quart low.
My mechanic friend told me two years ago to "take care of that timing chain."

Originally Posted by MParr
My guess is something is wrong with the throttle body. The fuse or relay for the throttle body or the throttle position sensor. My bet would be the throttle position sensor. This needs to be confirmed by scanning the codes. Check the air filter.

👆
This i would check first

Is this a trick question? Have the codes read and go from there

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by MParr

👆
This i would check first

Third. Might be in safe mode. May also need an idle reset.

I have read of similar issues on Honda forums. From what I have read, it sounds like the VTEC issue. On these cars the iVTEC engages at low RPM, usually around 2200-2400rpm. If the screen is plugged, it will not engage and will prevent revving higher. Usually caused by lack of maintenace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PknGSpDsmiI

He went by Autozone on the way home from work and got the codes read. They told him just to change his oil and it'd more than likely fix the problem. If I'm reading his report correctly, it says to replace the iVTEC screen? His next stop, got his oil changed and problem went away. He's not really a diy'er. He has a guy who's been doing he and his wife's oil changes for a log time. Here's a picture of the readout he texted me:
[Linked Image]

My brother just sent me this video and said his car is doing this exact same thing. Shudders at 2500 rpm and doesn't want to rev higher. It's an 07 Accord EX-L with the 2.4 engine. 167,000 miles. Check engine light is on.

Is this your video? Because in the video, it's a 2005 Accord.

With those codes, I need to ask, Is the Engine Low On Oil??? If it is, that might be the culprit. These engine uses oil pressure to control the VTEC. If not enough oil pressure, that will cause those codes to pop up.

I got 2 Honda Accords, both over 200k miles original engine and transmission, I do not have those problems.

Originally Posted by painfx

Is this your video? Because in the video, it's a 2005 Accord.

With those codes, I need to ask, Is the Engine Low On Oil??? If it is, that might be the culprit. These engine uses oil pressure to control the VTEC. If not enough oil pressure, that will cause those codes to pop up.

I got 2 Honda Accords, both over 200k miles original engine and transmission, I do not have those problems.

No,it's not his video. It was just a video he found searching online that mimicked his car's issue.

Back