Leaf free gutters...

[Linked Image]

I've been happy with these. If memory serves, I paid around $4 per linear foot installed

Last edited:
I still have to go on the roof with a stiff broom and sweep off the leaves that mold themselves to the shape of the holes in the gutter guard. My other home has no gutters. 60 trees there make a lot of leaves.

I have a similar problem, but I get all kinds of different leaves, so I haven't figure out which leaf guard to get. So at different time of the year I will have:
* pine needles
* Some sort of cotton like thing
* weird seed that looks like worms
* large leaves usually in the fall.
* Maple seeds that look like spinners.

so far I have at least hire someone to clear it every year. II can't reach the top gutter at the house without a really tall ladder. I am not risking my life to clear tree leaves. I tried using a blower extension, but it's not powerful enough to clear it with the extension.

Paul

Originally Posted by Paul_Siu
I have a similar problem, but I get all kinds of different leaves, so I haven't figure out which leaf guard to get. So at different time of the year I will have:
* pine needles
* Some sort of cotton like thing
* weird seed that looks like worms
* large leaves usually in the fall.
* Maple seeds that look like spinners.

so far I have at least hire someone to clear it every year. II can't reach the top gutter at the house without a really tall ladder. I am not risking my life to clear tree leaves. I tried using a blower extension, but it's not powerful enough to clear it with the extension.

Paul

Something like this would work: Clean gutters with self-made shop-vac attachment

I use the back foam that is molded to fit in a standard gutter. It just stuffs into the gutter. The problem is these companies have to make a living. Their employees probably make minimum wage plus enough of a stipend to get guys to climb ladders 30 ft in the air. Then they have a service vehicle and have to buy the product. The owners usually have nice homes and maybe a Nascar Team. They advertise, sell franchises and on and on.

So most important is to pick the one that people believe in. Ask for references and most of all don't let your BIL get up on the roof and break his back. The lawyers love that sort of thing.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PW01
[Linked Image]

I've been happy with these. If memory serves, I paid around $4 per linear foot installed

There is something very similar to these on part of my house. And I'm not very happy with them at least as they're installed on my house. I'm dealing primarily with needles and some dirt and leaves. I'm pretty sure some needles and dirt are getting through, collecting at the downspouts and causing blockages. But the drain guards are bolted down and I can't get the bolts loose to see what's going on underneath. They would work much better if there were openings here and there so that I could wash under them. (I try to wash through the screen but that isn't very effective). Mine are made of aluminum and I've been thinking of using a hole saw to cut 3 - 4" round openings (with covers screwed on over these holes of course).

I have regular (cheap) drain guards elsewhere and I whip them off twice a year so I can keep the evestroughs themelves clean and free of debris. They work better than nothing but I'm not too happy with dealing with the ones above the first story.

Originally Posted by PW01
[Linked Image]

This is what I used. But to be in full disclosure, the only true solution is tree removal. I lived in my home for 35 years and wasted mucho money until I decided to cut the trees
down that were near my house. Problem solved. I also installed big gutters and big downspouts. This helped as well..

Now, regardless of reviews, my Mom's and my Daughter's house have these and they seem to work great. I just couldn't afford them at the time. The Leafguard style
works really good.

The mesh ones can get clogged with debris and stuff. Sorta takes away the joy when you gotta get on your roof to pressure wash the screens on your gutter. I ripped them
out and went with what I mentioned above. IF I had the money, I would get those that are solid and let the water run off.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
OK BITOG, I have a very tall house in the middle of a forest, and I am sick of cleaning the gutters. There are MANY different products out there, and so far the quotes have ranged by over 50%. ($3k to $5.5k) What works best? I don't ever want to think about cleaning a gutter again.

[Linked Image]

I live on a heavily wooded lot with Oak, Maple and Poplar and have not had a clogged drain since I installed LeafGuard 4 years ago. I use to have to get up on the roof and unclog the gutters several times a season both in Spring and Fall. They are expensive, but they simply work as advertised. The larger 3x4 downspouts keep the water moving, not allowing debris that does get into the gutters to clog at the downspout.
https://www.leafguard.com/why-its-better

Originally Posted by va2001ss
Originally Posted by DriveHard
OK BITOG, I have a very tall house in the middle of a forest, and I am sick of cleaning the gutters. There are MANY different products out there, and so far the quotes have ranged by over 50%. ($3k to $5.5k) What works best? I don't ever want to think about cleaning a gutter again.

[Linked Image]

I live on a heavily wooded lot with Oak, Maple and Poplar and have not had a clogged drain since I installed LeafGuard 4 years ago. I use to have to get up on the roof and unclog the gutters several times a season both in Spring and Fall. They are expensive, but they simply work as advertised. The larger 3x4 downspouts keep the water moving, not allowing debris that does get into the gutters to clog at the downspout.
https://www.leafguard.com/why-its-better

I know someone who installed these gutters and the oversized downspouts as well and their experience matches what you said. He did this around 15 years ago on a two story house and is now thankful as he cannot get up on ladders any longer.

I believe this particular design of gutter cover is far more efficient than the others, especially compared to the perforated screen type which still allow smaller debris to accumulate.

I am not aware of any gutter system that is maintenance free. If you have trees you will have problems with the gutters. You will still get sediment and finer particles in the gutters that will need to be cleaned out which means removing the covers which is more work. The only maintenance free is no gutter. I tell all my customers plan to clean them out twice a year.

My parents are in a similar situation. They tried some brand of gutter guard and it eventually got clogged. Even when it did work, the gutters taking larger areas of water on the whole front of the house couldn't keep up. Leaves aren't the only things going into gutters. There's also seeds, buds, tulip tree pedals etc.

I'd suggested oversized eves and downspouts. In theory, they'd get clogged less with the larger volume of water flowing through them.

I've noticed on our house whoever installed the gutters used large screws on the bracket between the eve and downspout so the screws were actually causing a clog as well.

Last edited:
Not mentioned, as the roof ages, you get the stone from the shingles going in to the gutters. Until I replaced my roof, I dealt with leaves and stone in the rear and stone in the front remembering using a garden trowel and filling a bucket with stone and decomposed debri. I don't see how the guards with the small opening screen prevent the stones from going in to the gutters and Leaf Guard. Does anyone know if you have an old roof where the stones are clogging the gutters if that is covered under the free gutter cleaning guarantee?

I had gutter screens on my last house and still had to clean the gutters every year. Now I just hire a local contractor who cleans them for $60.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
Not mentioned, as the roof ages, you get the stone from the shingles going in to the gutters. Until I replaced my roof, I dealt with leaves and stone in the rear and stone in the front remembering using a garden trowel and filling a bucket with stone and decomposed debri. I don't see how the guards with the small opening screen prevent the stones from going in to the gutters and Leaf Guard. Does anyone know if you have an old roof where the stones are clogging the gutters if that is covered under the free gutter cleaning guarantee?

Debris still gets into the LeafGuard system, it just doesn't clog it. I just replaced my roof 6 weeks ago and prior to that I was getting the "stones" from the old roof in the LeafGuard gutters. The difference is the debris that does find its way in, doesn't clog the oversized gutter bottom and downspouts. The system has been maintenance free for the 4 years I've had it.

I only use gutters where hard surfaces are below. The other areas I make sure that I have a good drainage slope away from the house with plastic sheeting covered by gravel, so splash back is minimal and clean. I also have 3' roof overhangs that help. The areas with just a basic gutter I blow out the leaves on occasion with my backpack blower and made a U shaped plastic pipe adapter as I can reach from the ground or a bit on the step ladder.

Back