Mopar AW-1 autotrans fluid Fiat 500

Anyone know of a full synthetic replacement? Can't find the spec on this Mopar AW-1 fluid and it's about $17 a quart at the dealer. I don't believe in the filled for life at the factory that Fiat claims. I'm at 65,000 miles and would like to change out several times some of the fluid. It's well over 100 degrees here and the OBDII port on the car says I'm getting up to 94*C on trans temperature. This is a 2013 Fiat 500 Sport with an engine and trans tune---autotrans.

I was thinking Mobil 1. I'm also seeing Valvoline Max-Life and LubeGard.

Confused about what's compatible for the extremely hot temps we get here.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

You can use Maxlife with no problem
smile.gif

Castrol Full Synthetic is also a good choice

The Aisin transmission doesn't require anything special

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one. This will make future fluid changes much easier
smile.gif

There's no pan or filter but there is a drain plug (which has a small plug in that). Top of trans has a plug that uses a Torx T-55.
Okay, thought trans was special. A lot of manufacturers are not showing Mopar AW-1 on their compatibility list. A Google search doesn't help much. Understood that only a couple quarts come out each time so I'm planning on at least two changes over a few days.

All cars last a long time if you do normal maintenance; even your Ford F-150.

Originally Posted by CT8
i didn't know Fiats lasted long enough to need oil changes.
laugh.gif

My Brothers 2012 Fiat 500 (his DD) is well North of 140,000 miles and still pulling strong on just routine maintenance and Oil Changes!

Ok. Thanks for the help. I'm thinking of using Valvoline Max Life. Mobil 1 ATF doesn't give much information and hasn't responded to my email. I'll look into Castrol.

Originally Posted by CT8

A dealer tech on JRITS reddit told me if you keep up with the oil changes (to keep the Multi-Air valve mechanisms working correctly) 150,000 is quite do-able on these.

Okay, so I did three drain/refills over several weeks. Used the Valvoline Maxlife Full synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF. Quite happy. Fluid on the "sealed lifetime fill" came out black first two times. An occasional small trans whine that started last year is gone. Car shifts fine.

With the T-55 plug and all it sounds like a similar design to the 09G which is really an Aisin transmission. It turns out that the fluid is really WS but for the first generation it was Type T-IV. Depending on what your fluid cross references to you might be able to get it cheap at a Toyota dealer.

Originally Posted by CT8

I've got no skin in the deal, but a dealer tech told me they see a lot of these well past 100,000 miles.
If you change the oil to keep the Multi-Air working properly.

Back