Any Rotor Foundries in U.S.??

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if there are any actual foundries left in the U.S. that manufacture rotors from scratch. Or, is the example below cast in China and the "blank" is machined in the U.S.? What exactly is a blank? Thank you.

This MOPAR rotor states "Made in U.S.A." on the OEM sticker:
[Linked Image from moparpartsinc.com]

Originally Posted by Trav
Google is your friend. There are foundries in the USA making brake rotors.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brake+rotor+foundry+USA&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I'm actually surprised, especially if they manufacturer for ordinary passenger vehicles and not specialized commercial trucks and such.
Nice to know Trav!

I want to buy from US suppliers and vendors if at all possible, then from Japan/Europe/Canada, then other third world countries like Mexico, Viet Nam, ect...
Lastly from China.

OP which vehicle is that rotor for?

Last edited:
The Subaru OEM brake rotors for my outback were made in USA. The pads were Japan made. Nothing Chinese that day.

I didn't know there was worse than Chinese. Not all things they make are awful but when you get something Chinese because it was not expensive it can be garbage. I wonder how awful the Korean rotors are. I am imagining rotors that warp way too soon or always sound like fingernails on a chalk board when you use the brakes. It can;t be good!! I am imagining Hyundias and Kias with these rotors.. It is a horrible thought.

Brembo is an Italian corporation , the Plant in Homer Michigan is gearing to start Casting instead of importing blanks .

if you want worse than Chinese, try India/Pakistan. Other than the flight, I do not mind going to China. Much of India is really oppressively HOT and room ac is intermittent at best.

Rod

Wow, there are a lot of naive people who have absolutely no idea of what's going on overseas. Judging quality by an entire nation? You need to see some of the factories out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Wow, there are a lot of naive people who have absolutely no idea of what's going on overseas. Judging quality by an entire nation? You need to see some of the factories out there.

You betcha! Excellent point. As a child, I remember the stigma associated with "made in Japan".

Yes. I actually work at one. Fritz Winter in Franklin, KY. We make rotors for Mercedes, BMW, and VW. I work on the machining side. We also make rotors for big trucks for a aftermarket supplier in NC. So if you bought a Mercedes built in Vance, AL we more than likely made your rotors. I know before we shut down we are in the process of getting approval to make rotors for Akebono. We also just started making cast iron blocks for John Deere I think, just rough castings, no machining on our part. Plant just made millionth rotors this summer.

Brian

Last edited:
Back