Driven DI40 Specs

Great option for those needing a 40 grade that have a GDI engine.

HT/HS - 4.2
TEOST - 18.2
Viscosity@40C - 81.8
Viscosity@100C - 14.0
VI - 178
Ash Content - .72

The DI line contains mPAO.

"Testing also revealed that increasing the level of Molybdenum reduces the tendency of these abnormal combustion events. Driven Racing Oil's DI line of synthetic Direct Injection engine oils provide excellent protection from Low Speed Pre-Ignition by delivering cutting-edge lubricant technology specifically developed for direct injection engines. Every Driven DI oil utilizes an advanced additive package designed to reduce abnormal combustion and protects against soot related wear. Featuring a lower volatility base oil that reduces crankcase vapors and carbon buildup on intake valves, Driven DI oils also reduce turbocharger deposits as evidenced by exceptional performance in the TEOST turbocharger deposit test."

For $14/qt it better be good. Given the likelihood of DI vehicles making it past 100k at this point, I think I'll pas and stick with something a bit more mainstream and lower cost.

Hard to see what actual value add this provides compared to something like M1 0w-40, IMO. The moly claim is interesting, and the low volatility is useful, but? I don't even see a NOACK value.

I hear you. I do wish their data sheets were better. I think the reason why some don't post Noack is because Noack values can range when testing, so I'm told. And companies end up going with te lower value, as expected. With that said, Driven does make top notch oil. The SA is .722 and they use mPAO. I haven't seen a VOA of the DI oils but I think they contain over 300ppm of moly which is also good at helping with LSPI.
cheers3.gif

Bumping this thread up, not much discussion here about the Driven Di40. Curious if anyone has any experiences with it, especially used oil analysis?

Great option for those needing a 40 grade that have a GDI engine.

HT/HS - 4.2
TEOST - 18.2
Viscosity@40C - 81.8
Viscosity@100C - 14.0
VI - 178
Ash Content - .72

The DI line contains mPAO.

"Testing also revealed that increasing the level of Molybdenum reduces the tendency of these abnormal combustion events. Driven Racing Oil's DI line of synthetic Direct Injection engine oils provide excellent protection from Low Speed Pre-Ignition by delivering cutting-edge lubricant technology specifically developed for direct injection engines. Every Driven DI oil utilizes an advanced additive package designed to reduce abnormal combustion and protects against soot related wear. Featuring a lower volatility base oil that reduces crankcase vapors and carbon buildup on intake valves, Driven DI oils also reduce turbocharger deposits as evidenced by exceptional performance in the TEOST turbocharger deposit test."
At .72 ash content and 4.2 HT/HS, looks like a good oil for CF-2 applications also like old school 2 stroke Detroit Diesels. 🤣

One of their 5w30's had a Noack of 11% which I thought was kind of high for an oil of this price range.
Without knowing what’s “under the hood” of that oil, but hinging off of trends seen in other oils, high Noack has generally been an indicator of fairly thin base oils supplanted by heavy doses of VIIs to place the oil in a given grade. This gives a “great” high viscosity index for those drawn to it like a moth to the flame, but the oil pays for it with a higher Noack than an oil formulated with a more viscous base oil and a lower amount of VIIs.

Like I said, I don’t know for sure what Driven’s makeup is, but I remember the original TGMO VI of like 227 carried a Noack % around 15, just below the limits…

Here are a couple blackstone used oil analysis I tallyed up in Porsche 997 (Various) (Not my car). Users noticed significant decrease in wear when switching from Mobil 1.

Driven DI40.jpg

Last edited:
Without knowing what’s “under the hood” of that oil, but hinging off of trends seen in other oils, high Noack has generally been an indicator of fairly thin base oils supplanted by heavy doses of VIIs to place the oil in a given grade. This gives a “great” high viscosity index for those drawn to it like a moth to the flame, but the oil pays for it with a higher Noack than an oil formulated with a more viscous base oil and a lower amount of VIIs.

Like I said, I don’t know for sure what Driven’s makeup is, but I remember the original TGMO VI of like 227 carried a Noack % around 15, just below the limits…

It is apparently a mPAO oil, 100% if I remember reading somewhere, no esters. Their properity advantage is they figured out a way to add additives into a 100% mPAO. True or not true, but that was the theory on the Rennlist. It's a popular Porsche oil due to it's Moly (Aluminum Cylinder bore scoring), higher ZDDP.

Here was a thread on this forum:

Wear metals look good (low) but so does that TBN. TBN is a questionable though.

Back