Washer/Dryer Tuneup

On year two of our washer/dryer. We didn't get the warranty. No problems but does or do you recommend getting them serviced?

I had cheap ones for a lot of years and they charge 125 for a visit so I figured I could get 3 / 4 years out of them and buy another.

Ones I have now are decent.

Probably just like everything, they could use some tightening/adjusting?

Just chattin' here.

For newer machine with fancy water saving features or front loader, just throw it away when it die.

For old fashion top loader build in the 90s and earlier, repair as needed by yourself. Calling someone and then tell you it is not fixable or cost more to fix is not a good idea.

Originally Posted by CT8
What would be serviced on a washer and dryer ?

Seals that leak, pump that leaks, bearing that got worn through, switch that broke, timer that broke, fuse that burnt out, etc. When I tore apart my dryer to fix the stuck bearing I replaced all wearable parts like the plastic glide, bearing, belt, etc.

Only use OE or FSP parts, not the no name Chinese parts (they barely last 1 year).

Last edited:
I built my home 16 years go. The original washer and dryer were Whirlpool front loaders. The dryer is still going strong. Washer is on #2. So far so good. It's me with 3 kids. We do about 6 loads a week. I do have gas for the dryer. I have nothing to do with Whirlpool. Hope this helps.

Had a 15 yr old Maytag front load washer crap out once. Other than that, had to replace a heating element on a Kenmore dryer. Only maintenance we do is clean out the lint screen.

Coop I've never done pm on any washer/dryer I've had. Just repairs on a as needed basis. On a washer I would scrap the hoses that come with the unit and upgrade to braided ones. The dryer needs a clean lint filter before each use and the exhaust ductwork needs to be cleaned periodically. It's just my wife and I now. It's amazing how long appliances last when you have don't have kids around.

Go buy one of the long flexible dryer vent brushes, clean the vent filter and run the brush through the vent tube. Check to see if your washer has a filter, usually at the bottom behind a small door. If it does open that drain and clean the filter with some white vinegar and rinse in clean water. Check your hoses to the washer if they are the bare rubber type or do yourself a big favor and replace them with the type that have the metal mesh around them. Thats about all there is to it. Other than going out to pick up the hoses and brush it should take about 15-30 min. and cost less with new hoses than the call out fee for a service tech.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by CT8

Seals that leak, pump that leaks, bearing that got worn through, switch that broke, timer that broke, fuse that burnt out, etc. When I tore apart my dryer to fix the stuck bearing I replaced all wearable parts like the plastic glide, bearing, belt, etc.

Those are repairs, not "service". The OP means servicing as in 'preventative maintenance'. Unless you are suggesting that people should replace seals, bearings, switches, etc on a routine basis "just in case".

Laughable ho many people throw away front load washers when it is an easy $40-$50 fix. Front loaders don't have a transmission they have a rotor assembley and the rotor gear strips after years of use - easy fix, takes about 20 minutes IF you DON"T know what you are doing and follow a YouTube video!

Originally Posted by CatCam2
Laughable ho many people throw away front load washers when it is an easy $40-$50 fix. Front loaders don't have a transmission they have a rotor assembley and the rotor gear strips after years of use - easy fix, takes about 20 minutes IF you DON"T know what you are doing and follow a YouTube video!

Interesting
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by CT8

Save your money for repairs later on.

I have a Front load Kenmore washer and dryer (Whirlpool from 2002). On the Washer needed to replace the pump (DIY from Amazon $60). Still going strong. There are plenty of videos on Youtube for repairs and the Whirlpool parts are easy to get.

Originally Posted by samven
Go buy one of the long flexible dryer vent brushes, clean the vent filter and run the brush through the vent tube. Check to see if your washer has a filter, usually at the bottom behind a small door. If it does open that drain and clean the filter with some white vinegar and rinse in clean water. Check your hoses to the washer if they are the bare rubber type or do yourself a big favor and replace them with the type that have the metal mesh around them. Thats about all there is to it. Other than going out to pick up the hoses and brush it should take about 15-30 min. and cost less with new hoses than the call out fee for a service tech.

This guy actually answered OP's question.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by samven

This guy actually answered OP's question.
thumbsup2.gif

And make sure the dryer is vented with an actual 4" semirigid or rigid pipe, not the airflow restricting/plug me flimsies...

I would not pay to have them serviced. But if front loader you can get at the water pump and clean out the dog hair and change that can get stuck in there. For the dryer you can take off the front cover and clean out the lint.

Back