Leaf free gutters...

OK BITOG, I have a very tall house in the middle of a forest, and I am sick of cleaning the gutters. There are MANY different products out there, and so far the quotes have ranged by over 50%. ($3k to $5.5k) What works best? I don't ever want to think about cleaning a gutter again.

Last edited:
too high for my sissy rear end... ;-)

back of house.jpg

I've tried a few and none of them worked very well. The latest I've seen is the very fine stainless steel screen. My neighbor sells them here in Florida.

My house has ONE SINGLE GUTTER, by the pool, and believe me, that's more than enough to irritate me.

If I would give anyone advice, it would be to eliminate gutters entirely. This is possible here in Florida because of the sandy soil, and no mud to splash onto the house. The soil also drains almost immediately due to the sand.

There are ways to do this up north too of course, such as stone covered surfaces at the ground level (with drainage). I've even seen concrete poured right up to the foundation for runoff, if the water has a place to go.

Those downspouts going into the ground will eventually plug up too. They need to be surface drains IMO.

Yea I have never seen one that worked well. Either they they do not block the leaves well enough or the other issue is many seem to block a lot of water during heavy rains as the water runs right over them.

We have already taken care of the run-off problem in the back, but I still feel like I need gutters to protect the foundation. No, I don't have water problems (at least not yet)...

92060496_10222739513653483_977385577039003648_n.jpg

92462940_10222739514413502_5400244036902584320_n.jpg

Originally Posted by walterjay
Tree removal is the most effective method.

That is a heck of a lot of trees to remove...

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by walterjay
Tree removal is the most effective method.

That is a heck of a lot of trees to remove...

Not a problem that's what you call firewood!

If you have pine needles you need a fine screen. Leaves are easier.

Look on YOUTUBE for people taking about these. There is one guy who installs them and is standing next to a dumpster showing you various types he has taken down and replaced. He seems to know the most. Watch his video.

Have you priced having someone clean your gutters yearly?

I have them on a house I bought (in DE) and leaves and small branches end up sitting on top of the leaf filters and need to be removed.

I think inside corners can be an issue. Lots of water running down a valley so they often install some deflectors so the water does not blast past the gutters. The deflectors can cause leaves to collect.

My NY house has no gutters except for areas over a deck. Too much water was bouncing off the deck back at siding and french patio doors.

Last edited:
I put Amerimax Hoover Dam Galvanized Steel Gutter Guards on my gutters.

Back