Curve ball

So one of my newest trucks needs plugs. With 40k miles!

This despite being AC/Delco iridium fine wires. Completely shot, worn to the insulator!

I have run these plugs 200k miles in other vans but not with the new 6.0 with VCT.

Can anyone explain how the interval was shortened so drastically?

Are you the person driving the truck? Maybe you have a wannabe Nascar driver on your hands
smile.gif

Do you have a multi spark ignition system? Those fire several times per cycle so could wear out quicker.

It may not be the plugs themselves, but something with the engine that is off... i.e., spark timing, air/fuel mixture.

Bad batch of plugs? Maybe they made a lot (as in a production lot) with substandard metal.

Were these factory plugs or Amazon/eBay purchases? There are a LOT of fakes on the market. The scammers will take a cheap plug, turn down the center electrode to make it look like a thin wire plug and weld a new tip on.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
So one of my newest trucks needs plugs. With 40k miles!

This despite being AC/Delco iridium fine wires. Completely shot, worn to the insulator!

I have run these plugs 200k miles in other vans but not with the new 6.0 with VCT.

Can anyone explain how the interval was shortened so drastically?

Please send us a pic of the worn plugs, also showing us the AC Delco plug model numbers. I suspect the wrong plugs were put in. I got 180,000 miles on a set of AC Delco plugs and they were still running great. They were the ones from the factory.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Is this a L96 engine Express/Savana?

Even under the severe service schedule, 97,500 miles is the interval for the plugs. I'd say either a bad batch if they are all like that, or it may have some sort of hidden problem that needs to be diagnosed.

Originally Posted by ripcord
Were these factory plugs or Amazon/eBay purchases? There are a LOT of fakes on the market. The scammers will take a cheap plug, turn down the center electrode to make it look like a thin wire plug and weld a new tip on.

Could be this. I need to pull a plug from my truck as i bought iridiums on amazon.

Interesting, I haven't seen anything extreme with the NGK made Delcos outside of 1 or 2 plugs, Certainly not all 8 at such low mileage & the VVT 6.0L has been out since 2007 in the GMT900 platform.

trying to post pics, coming soon!

I tell ya, I've had a ton of these trucks and this is the worst set of plugs I have ever seen in 48 years of driving and fixing cars or trucks!

Back