Unknown sensor (?) destroyed during accident - 2011 Fusion

Please refer to the pictures for more information. This is a 2011 Ford Fusion SE with the 2.5 liter engine.

There was something here before the wreck. I'm not sure what it was. A sensor of some sort if I had to guess. Air temperature maybe? Two wire connector.

Need some assistance as to what it was, so I can replace it. Thanks!

BTW, this is my first attempt at bringing a car back after being totalled. No insurance payout on it, so the title will stay clear.

IMG_20200327_124009386.jpg

IMG_20200327_124111678.jpg

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
BTW, this is my first attempt at bringing a car back after being totalled. No insurance payout on it, so the title will stay clear.

1) How do know it was totalled if there was no insurance involved?

The connector on the car is rectangular in shape, with the corners rounded off. The ambient air temperature sensors that I'm seeing images of online, show a round connector, and then it threads into something else.

I'm guessing whatever it was, was bolted on just above the connector (in the close up picture), and some of it is still underneath the bolt.

TX12_Front__ra_p.jpg

TX12_Other__ra_p.jpg

Could it be a test connector or simply a spare for other model vehicles with similar harnesses for ad ons?

Last edited:
Well, a month later, and the car is done. I only had time to work on it during the weekends.

The grille, bumper cover, and driver's side front fender were repaired and reused. They are not perfect, but neither is the car. The car is 10 years old, with plenty other dents, dings, and scratches unrelated to the accident.

The hood, in the correct color, came from a junkyard in Rockford. It was the only painted body panel that was replaced.

Investment in repairs/supplies was $1400. Car has a clean title, as there was no insurance payout on the accident. What I learned along the way, to keep a car out of the junkyard, was priceless.

Now... the question. Will I ever do this again?

[Linked Image]

Looks like it came out well enough for a 10 year old daily driver. Certainly worth the $1400 and a little time on the weekend. With everything going on, this was the perfect time for a little project! You got lucky finding that hood in the same color.

Nice!!

I'm kind of surprised at the totaled status. The strip down pics above doesn't make the damage look too bad.

Did you ever figure out what that sensor was?

Originally Posted by JTK
Nice!!

I'm kind of surprised at the totaled status. The strip down pics above doesn't make the damage look too bad.

Did you ever figure out what that sensor was?

The sensor was an airbag sensor. Confirmed by our Ford parts man, bdcardinal. Thanks!

It is my belief that an insurance adjuster would have totaled it. I fixed it for $1400. Some of the parts were used, and some of the parts were repaired and reused. My labor cost was $0. A body shop would have added labor at $80 an hour.

A body shop would have charged way more for parts than what I paid. Assume a 50% markup on parts, and 10 hours labor at $80 per hour. That's $2900. Anything beyond that, and it is totaled. An insurance company wouldn't have put much money or effort into trying to fix a $3000 car.

Back