Kamado Joe (Green Egg) Grilling Questions

Well, my neighbor got a Kamado Joe and I had to keep up. The aroma fills the neighborhood and his house is 2 football fields away. Took out a home equity loan so all is well.
Bought if from a local dealer so that makes me happy.

Anyways, I have multiple questions.

Which lump charcoal? Or do you use one for grilling and one for smoking?

Which are your favorite woods to smoke with?

What is your favorite way to start the coal?

What gloves do you use?

Do you use water in your catch pan?

If you like, share your favorite rubs for pork, beef and chicken.

I just finished smoking my first 15 lb prime brisket and it was devoured by 6 adults in 2 days.

And if you have any tips, I am all ears.

The one thing I have learned is to use a LOT of charcoal if you wanna get a 600-800 degree temp.
My neighbor and I found this out this week doing test runs.

To be honest with you, this is almost as much fun as changing my oil and coolant.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Well, my neighbor got a Kamado Joe and I had to keep up. The aroma fills the neighborhood and his house is 2 football fields away. Took out a home equity loan so all is well.
Bought if from a local dealer so that makes me happy.

Anyways, I have multiple questions.

What gloves do you use?

I just finished smoking my first 15 lb prime brisket and it was devoured by 6 adults in 2 days.

The one thing I have learned is to use a LOT of charcoal if you wanna get a 600-800 degree temp.

To be honest with you, this is almost as much fun as changing my oil and coolant.

I always use "Royal Oak" in the red bag

I use a heated rod to get it started...keeps the chemicals out of the process
https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-1...al+starter&qid=1588253138&sr=8-4

I never used gloves - I do have a pair of meat claws that work AWESOME!!
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Bea...meat+claws&qid=1588253311&sr=8-3

when smoking, I would soak the wood chips for several hours beforehand, wrap them in a foil ball, poke a couple holes in it, and just throw it on top of the charcoal.

I never used water, the design does a great job of keeping the wood moist

smoking wood selection depends on what meat you are cooking, and the desired results...have used many different types

Last edited:
My favorite lump is B&B. I use it for all temps. It came from Walmart clearance so I stocked up on 140#. If you want higher temps it's best to start with all new fuel. I keep a couple plastic tubs around for different fuels. I save the big chunks from the bag; used but still good, etc. Get chunks of different hardwoods, no chips. Buy them all, try them all. I use a lot of hickory, apple, pecan.

For ignition I buy fire staring squares from Amazon. The last purchase is Rutland, I'm almost done with the 144 pack from Midwest Hearth. It's looks like sawdust and wax. I light them with a pocket torch and they burn for about 10 minutes.

I have a gen2 KJ so I didn't get the Kontrol Tower vent, or better seal, but I found them from Smokeware.

I found a lot of recipes use rubs with all kinds of stuff. In the last 6 years of smoking I've come to appreciate the meat so I season with salt & pepper only. Get a spray bottle for misting. Smoke sticks to moisture so you can use water or my favorite, apple cider vinegar. No water, just the right temp. Before you put the meat on make sure the smoke isn't pronounced. The blue smoke when charcoal is smoldering will make your cook acrid and too smoky.

Get some 9mil or thicker gloves. I have some cotton gloves that I can slip on, then rubber. I can pick up a finished brisket or butt without pain. I also have welding gloves in case I need to move ceramics or grates.

Get some free apps for your phone. I have Traeger and there are good recipes. I also use the recipes from KJ, and Grilla Grills. Watch videos from Malcolm, Grilla, Kamado Joe, and especially Franklin! His restaurant in Austin has lines waiting every day for brisket. There's a free series on PBS.

It's a fun journey with lots to learn. I used chickens to practice to keep costs down. Last year I bought a pellet grill so that's my primary smoker. The KJ bakes and sears mainly.

I used to compete in KCBS BBQ contests. I used Royal Oak lump for everything. Hickory smoke wood with it for butts, added a small piece of cherry to that when cooking ribs. Apple or peach only for poultry, just a small piece. Hickory only or with white oak for beef (brisket).

For grilling (steaks, burgers, fish, etc), straight lump. I might throw a few small chips on for any of that.

I have baked a fresh loaf of bread, grilled some tomato slices, corn, etc. at a BBQ contest on Friday night ancillary contests. People even bake cakes in them. They are very versatile. The LAST thing I use my Primo ceramic cooker for is smoking. I just have had better luck/success with a Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker. I also built a 165 gallon reverse flow offset stick burner last year. Only used it once, but we are getting a small group together Saturday and I think it's about to get a real test put on it.
smile.gif

My suggestion is to not go crazy with trinket accessories that are all piled up at the ceramic grill dealer until you've used it 10-15 times. You'll figure out that you probably don't need all that stuff.

My only impulse splurge since initial purchase was the DoJoe. thooks, good advice on the 10-15 times.

Originally Posted by Brybo86
Did u buy a genuine Kamado Joe brand or a knockoff?

OEM

What I use:

Which lump charcoal? Or do you use one for grilling and one for smoking? Cowboy. It's hard to find lump charcoal in NJ and I've this brand and another one and the other when wouldn't light consistently. It would light and go out.

Which are your favorite woods to smoke with? Hickory but I don't use a lot of wood. The lump imparts enough smoke for me.

What is your favorite way to start the coal? soak a cotton ball with 91% isopropyl alcohol under a small charcoal tent in the bottom center of grill. Never had a problem getting a fire to start.

What gloves do you use? I don't use gloves

Do you use water in your catch pan? No.

I just finished smoking my first 15 lb prime brisket and it was devoured by 6 adults in 2 days. Where did you source this meat? It's hard to source the right meats in NJ.

And if you have any tips, I am all ears. Need to learn to control the temperatures. Holding 225°F is not easy and takes some practice. Not sure how your grill is vented but I want to build a vent cap so I can grill in the rain. The electronic PID temperature controllers are cool but very expensive.

The one thing I have learned is to use a LOT of charcoal if you wanna get a 600-800 degree temp. That's really hot. Got my grill that hot a couple times for pizza but it's uncontrollable.

I was gifted a Big Green Egg about 15 years ago. Everybody's experience is different, but I'll give you my answers to your questions. Be advised I can be a cheap Charlie.

1. Lump charcoal. Use that exclusively, no coal and chared waste wood "charcoal" briquets ever see the inside of my grill. Brand doesn't matter. Mostly use genuine Mexican charcoal made from mesquite because it fits my price point and is readily available.
2. Favorite wood. Large chunk mesquite. Available many places, but Bass Pro seems to have the best price. My wife prefers mesquite so 99% of my grilling and smoking is done with that. The large chunks double as fuel (a bag of charcoal lasts me a long time) and no soaking is required. I've also achieved good results with apple (salmon) and hickory (primarily pork). When at an alternate location I smoke/grill with wine grapevines and oak because of the availability with good results (not using the BGE though).
3. Favorite starter. My only criteria is quick, clean, and on hand. Used the little fire pellets until I ran out. Tried a number of alternate methods. Since we always have isopropyl alcohol around I've settled, by default, on using a cotton ball or paper towel soaked in that for a starter. Unlike petroleum products, the alcohol burns off quickly and cleanly.
4. Have special heat/fire gloves but never used them.
5. Never use water. Never needed it. The Egg, like the KJ retains moisture well.
6. My wife makes the rub. She tries to match Emeril. If I don't have hers around I just make do with what I have. Our motto is there is no such thing as too much garlic.

I make a chili with mesquite smoked beef. The mesquite is so heavy the vapors would strip the paint off of a barn. Pretty much my signature dish.
The one thing I don't have i could use for turkeys, large hams and the like is a round stone to reduce radiant heat. Being the cheap Charlie I am, I use workarounds.

Big Green Egg owner here for about 3 years now.
The egg and all the accessories are eye wateringly expensive.
I would not own one save for the fact that I won it in a raffle.
Komodo Joe or others brands work just as well so don't think you need to shell out for the BGE.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I just finished smoking my first 15 lb prime brisket and it was devoured by 6 adults in 2 days. Where did you source this meat? It's hard to source the right meats in NJ.

And if you have any tips, I am all ears. Need to learn to control the temperatures. Holding 225°F is not easy and takes some practice. Not sure how your grill is vented but I want to build a vent cap so I can grill in the rain. The electronic PID temperature controllers are cool but very expensive.

As others have said, prime brisket was readily available at Costco until very recently.

Holding 225°F is very easy but it takes patience to learn your grill.
My technique for a large size BGE is to take the thermometer up to about 300-350°F to get everything heated up. No hold time at this temp, just make it to that point. Then, the bottom air vent is set open to the width of the knuckle on my pointer finger and the top is set just over half way open. Then just WAIT for temp to stabilize. From start to finish take about an hour but from there it will be rock steady at about 240°F for 8 hours or more.
This is based on a clean grill filled with unused charcoal.

Good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
My wife and I bought a large Big Green Egg about five years ago. We love it. We only use BGE charcoal and start it with the BGE electric starter. We bought the EGG Genius which maintains the a set temperature and can be adjusted and monitored with a smartphone or computer.

I have owned a large BGE for at least 12 years... I will never go back.
Use only lump.
Like others, typically Royal Oak... look for the made in USA bags... they have an American flag on them.

If you want high heat, go with Mesquite lump.
Be careful when exceeding 600f, you can melt your gasket.

Learn to burp the cooker so you don't get burned by the fireball.

Best lighter ever.
https://looftlighter.com/

Good info, no nudity http://www.nakedwhiz.com/dogfront.htm

Royal Oak

Anything except mesquite will get it done, unless you like licking ashtrays. I like hickory + apple or cherry for pork, apple or cherry for poultry, and hickory + pecan + oak (if I can find it) for beef

Propane torch

What gloves do you use?

Commercial linen kitchen towels to handle bbq foods. I have tools to handle anything else that's hot (grates, ceramic, etc)

No

Beef = Morton's kosher salt + coarse black pepper
Pork = Morton's kosher salt + coarse black pepper + paprika (for color)
Chicken = Varies by mood. Lots of recipes out there, find one that sounds good and give it a try

A temperature controller from the likes of BBQ Guru, Flame Boss, or the ThermoWorks Signals + Billows is worth the investment if you BBQ alot. It's like cruise control for smoking. The Kamado Joe iKamand is another option, though there were significant hardware and software issues when they launched. Not sure if that's been fixed.

Don't rely on the thermometer in the dome for BBQ. Get an alarm thermometer with multiple channels so you can measure temperature at the grate and food temp. All temperature controllers monitor temp at the grate and many have a food probe too, so you can bypass this if you get a controller.

Get a good instant read thermometer, like a ThermoWorks ThermoPop or ThermaPen, even if you have a multi-channel alarm thermometer or controller.

Don't get stuck thinking you can only smoke at 225 degrees. The guys and gals who run some of the best pits in the world regularly see 280.

Aaron Franklin's Master Class is a great thing to ask for as a birthday or father's day gift.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Big Green Egg owner here for about 3 years now.
The egg and all the accessories are eye wateringly expensive.
I would not own one save for the fact that I won it in a raffle.
Komodo Joe or others brands work just as well so don't think you need to shell out for the BGE.

Originally Posted by Leo99

As others have said, prime brisket was readily available at Costco until very recently.

Holding 225°F is very easy but it takes patience to learn your grill.
My technique for a large size BGE is to take the thermometer up to about 300-350°F to get everything heated up. No hold time at this temp, just make it to that point. Then, the bottom air vent is set open to the width of the knuckle on my pointer finger and the top is set just over half way open. Then just WAIT for temp to stabilize. From start to finish take about an hour but from there it will be rock steady at about 240°F for 8 hours or more.
This is based on a clean grill filled with unused charcoal.

Good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

I have an Acorn and the temperature is about 400°F at those settings. To get to the mid 200s, I need the bottom barely open and top barely open. I bought a temperature controller thing but haven't used it yet. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0764T8386/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I recommend this to the OP, a wireless monitoring system. I have an older and less expensive version of this and it works great: https://www.bbqguys.com/primo/digital-remote-bbq-thermometer

Originally Posted by MCompact
My wife and I bought a large Big Green Egg about five years ago. We love it. We only use BGE charcoal ...

I can tell you that you are paying 2-3x the cost of Royal Oak Charcoal that's in a green bag. Royal Oak produces and bags about 85% of the lump charcoal that is out there. They make virtually all store brands, Sysco Lump for restaurants and many more.

The BGE labeled lump might be a little more "filtered", but it comes from a Royal Oak facility.

Originally Posted by thooks
I can tell you that you are paying 2-3x the cost of Royal Oak Charcoal that's in a green bag.

Prices at my local Ace:

Royal Oak 8.8 lb = $9.99 ($1.14/lb)
Big Green Egg 10 lb = $14.99 ($1.50/lb)
Big Green Egg 20 lb = $28.99 ($1.45/lb)

Yeah, Royal Oak makes the lump in the BGE bag. Yeah, it's more expensive per pound. It's certainly not 2-3x more expensive.

Back