Breaking in the new smoker

Finally got around to getting a smoker. I've never had one before, but I've wanted one for quite some time. It's nothing fancy, but it works great! It's a Weber Smokey Mountain which I got for right around $350 or so. Ran a dry run on it just to get some of the oils off, but threw on a small, 4 lb boston butt for me and the wife this weekend. It had the shoulder blade removed so it looked a little funny while cooking, but it tasted great and made some awesome sandwiches! Cook time was around 8 hours, unwrapped, at 250F and pulled off at 203F internal. Seasoned it with a pair of Meat Church dry rubs, which was a first for me. They're pretty darn good, although a bit on the pricey side.

20200425_180744.jpg

20200425_181541.jpg

Originally Posted by JustN89
Finally got around to getting a smoker. I've never had one before, but I've wanted one for quite some time. It's nothing fancy, but it works great! It's a Weber Smokey Mountain which I got for right around $350 or so. Ran a dry run on it just to get some of the oils off, but threw on a small, 4 lb boston butt for me and the wife this weekend. It had the shoulder blade removed so it looked a little funny while cooking, but it tasted great and made some awesome sandwiches! Cook time was around 8 hours, unwrapped, at 250F and pulled off at 203F internal. Seasoned it with a pair of Meat Church dry rubs, which was a first for me. They're pretty darn good, although a bit on the pricey side.

I usually smoke pork meat to an internal temperature of 150/155*.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

Around there is when pork is cooked all of the way through (I usually shoot for 145F), but with the boston butt, you don't start getting tender meat until 200F or so. Some pull it a bit early, around 195ish, but i've noticed that it's a little tough and dry if pulled before at least 200F. I threw a bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin on the grill a few weekends back though. Pulled it off at 143F, let it rest and finish cooking wrapped on the counter. It was great!

WSM was my gateway smoker over 10 years ago! Now my back yard also has a pellet smoker and kamado.

I found that Kingsford Competition briquettes work well. They are an all-natural, no filler version from Kingsford.

I don't go by temp when cooking shoulders or any roast for that matter, when it starts to fall apart is when it's done.

OP the crust on that looks really good.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter

Around there is when pork is cooked all of the way through (I usually shoot for 145F), but with the boston butt, you don't start getting tender meat until 200F or so. Some pull it a bit early, around 195ish, but i've noticed that it's a little tough and dry if pulled before at least 200F. I threw a bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin on the grill a few weekends back though. Pulled it off at 143F, let it rest and finish cooking wrapped on the counter. It was great!

I don't like pulled pork AT ALL! I rather have my pork meat in chunks, or sliced.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I don't go by temp when cooking shoulders or any roast for that matter, when it starts to fall apart is when it's done.

OP the crust on that looks really good.

Yeah, I go by how the meat feels when I stick it with the temp probe- I was looking for a room temperature butter level of resistance. I just noted what the temperature was and figured I'd share since that's a little more detail/accurate than me just saying "it felt right". Thanks!

Back