Holy Toro SR4?!

Picked this up off the curb tonight. Pretty old lady. Wheels need replacing along with the belt cover but it fires right up. First time seeing this Briggs with an oil filter.

Anyone know a suitable replacement filter off hand?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Snapper has a pro model.push.mower with a.larger than average B&S engine and an oil filter. I'm guessing it has an oil.pump instead of.aplash.lubrication.which is a plus

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Any idea what the specific model number is or does it have the serial number on it?

Here's the Toro info. And the Briggs engine code. Anyone know Briggs date lingo?

I'll look parts up in the morning. Wife isn't happy that I'm not at the dinner table.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Aparently the filter cross references to the Fram 4967 and the Wix 51394 and Napa 47356 , I think the Napa Platinum sale is still going on a PFL 47356 would probably last a good long time on it.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Roughly a 2005 vintage...

Yeah I did some Googling. Says it's year / mo / date with the 3rd set of numbers.
My 3rd set of numbers are 050307.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Snapper has a pro model.push.mower with a.larger than average B&S engine and an oil filter. I'm guessing it has an oil.pump instead of.aplash.lubrication.which is a plus

Some engines have an oil put that its only job it to pump oil through the filter.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Wix 51348 (3 1/2 inches long) or 51516 (5 inches)...

I use the 51516...

So for $6 the Napa PFL 41516 (rebranded 51516XP) would be a good choice.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Wix 51348 (3 1/2 inches long) or 51516 (5 inches)...

I use the 51516...

I just realized that's the equivalent to the Fram 3600, that's a pretty big filter, the can is about 20oz in volume, the media and what not takes up some of that, but you'd think it'd still holds like 10-15oz, and the mower only holds 20oz, do you prefill the filter before installing, or run it for a minute and top off the sump?

To avoid problems with the baseplate contacting the filter mounting flange, use the OE filters, the FRAM 4967 series filters or the STP S4967 filter. Save yourself the headache of an oil leak, where the filter mounts. DO NOT buy a Purolator or Carquest filter for this unit. The filter gasket is set too far into the filter.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by skyactiv

Some engines have an oil put that its only job it to pump oil through the filter.
The engine has splash lubrication. CT8 is correct, there is an oil pump in it, but it is only used to pump oil through the filter and back into the sump. The system is not pressurized so any oil filter the fits and seals will work. I'm not sure why B&S ever did this (likely just for marketing), it just adds unnecessary cost, complexity, and weight to the engine.
There are a couple of B&S lawn mower engine models that have pressurized oiling systems, but this engine isn't one of them.

Originally Posted by MParr
To avoid problems with the baseplate contacting the filter mounting flange, use the OE filters, the FRAM 4967 series filters or the STP S4967 filter. Save yourself the headache of an oil leak, where the filter mounts. DO NOT buy a Purolator or Carquest filter for this unit. The filter gasket is set too far into the filter.

This.

Also why on earth would anyone stick a Wix 51516 on such a small mower?

1. That's a good way to risk damage to the engine by pushing all the oil into the filter and out of the sump due to the small sump capacity and lack of full pressure lubrication
2. That's a good way to risk the giant filter sticking out to get caught on something while mowing and cause other damage to the engine block

There are cases where a larger filter is not necessary, and this is one of them. That is a very nice mower OP, nice score!

Thanks all. I'll probably grab the Fram out of convenience. Luckily I have a parts SR4 mower that'll donate its parts over. This will be a flip tho I'm tempted to keep it with its "cool" factor but my personal mower is another SR4 that's only 3 yrs old.

Back