speeder in michigan.. 180mph!

Just got done reading this in the michigan news.. here in michigan the state police caught a guy doing 180mph on I-75 in monroe (south of detroit, going towards ohio). All it said was that it was a 2016 Dodge.. I'm thinking.. ok, what dodge doesn't have a top speed limiter? And if there was a computer flash that removed the limiter, I'm thinking only a dodge challenger or hellcat? demon? does anyone know what dodge would do this speed?

And maybe I'm getting old.. lol.. I like speed, but wow.. maybe not 180mph worth at 1145 at night..

here's a link to the story..

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/michigan-state-police-catch-speeder-going-180-on-i-75

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
I wonder what the speed rating of the tires on that vehicle were?

If it was a kitty, I expect the tires were sufficient.

My old E39 M5 was capable of ~190Mph (north of 302Km/h) with the limiter removed. IIRC, the top speed of the non-Hellcat Charger SRT should be close, IIRC, my 2014 was 180Mph? A [censored] Kitty (mew mew!) would easily do it.

LOL, maybe it was one of those 1000 hp Hellcats modified by John Hennessey............varoooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A few years ago a handful of us BITOG members were invited down to Texas for the "Pennzoil Experience" and besides a wonderful visit to the Pennzoil laboratories in Houston, we also visited Johh Hennessey at his shop and got to ride with him on his test track in a modified Camaro. I got up to about 150mph in my ride and the steering wheel was just a tad twitchy! YouTuber ChrisFix was with us also. Lots of cases of Pennzoil Ultra sitting in his shop!

I know they've been getting a little frisky on I-75 & I-71 here, for about a month the OSHP would just sit in the medians & watch them go by, but they've been nailing them the last couple days. 180 is insane, one pothole & it's all over, junk splattered for a couple miles when something breaks & the inevitable rollover happens...

Originally Posted by 02SE
My 5th gen Viper had a claimed top speed of 206 mph. It's significantly faster with 400rwhp more than stock, and some altered gearing.

thumbsup2.gif

2016 Challenger according to the video clip. Ticketed for going "more than 25 over the speed limit." I wonder if there's any extra consideration for going 110 over the limit?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
IIRC, the top speed of the non-Hellcat Charger SRT should be close, IIRC, my 2014 was 180Mph?

I've seen 175 mph listed as top speed for Charger SRT. 182 mph for Challenger SRT.

Dodge claims a Hellcat tops out at 199, and the 392 can hit 182.

Fun fact, Charger hellcats can hit 204 because they're more aerodynamic.

Originally Posted by samven
I wana know what they used to pull him over.
lol.gif

I imagine it was a Little Nash Rambler if legend holds true.

Around a week ago the O.P.P nabbed a hellcat , clocked him at 271kph which on the part of the 417 highway he was traveling is limited to 110kph. He is now walking.

Lately, I've been making regular trips between the San Francisco Bay Area and the Central Coast Wine Country. While cruising Hwy 101 at a sedate 80 to 85mph last week during the late afternoon (the speed limit is 65 or 70, depending), I was getting passed by many people going 90 to 95. Given the greatly reduced traffic plus the high quality roadway, these speeds seemed quite reasonable.

Scott

I was traveling through Missouri on 13, and its limit is 65mph. I set the cruise on 80, and had 2 in the median just watch me go by. Traffic was very light though, as well. Any other time it would have been ticket city.

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
The guy probably read I-75 as 175 and was just doing "5 over"

lol.gif
... could be.

Back