Why is Pennzoil Plat Dexos certified while Ultra Plat not?

I would assume the ultra is the superior oil, why it's not Dexos certified? Different additive package? Cost to Pennzoil? Random reasons?
I don't have a GM vehicle! And I'm between using these 2, which is better (better wear protection, cleaning and/or performance)?
Thanks

PS: Sorry if discussed before

Last edited:
Ultra is better, purely out of the tiering of products. But Platinum is their Go-to jack of all trades in the market. According to their marketing, Ultra is meant for "extreme" usage, so I assume high speed driving, short distances (severe service), or light towing. Apparently Ultra has better cleaning properties according to their marketing, as well.

As for why it isn't Dexos Certified, who knows. It can likely beat the spec, but that's a question they'd have to answer.

Personally, if you're taking short trips in the city and want to do yearly changes, go ultra. If it's a daily driver where you're on the highway and doing 6month/yearly changes, go platinum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I'm guessing GM not wanting to pay Pennzoil the dough to put their logo on it?

Uh, it's the other way around sir

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Uh, it's the other way around sir

Duh! My brain got its wires crossed haha
33.gif

Originally Posted by shanneba
maybe because the Ultra is not "resource conserving", the regular Ultra is "resource conserving"

What?

It's probably because the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum cannot meet the maximum Noack requirement of dexos1 Gen 2, which is 13.0% (12.5% for dexos1 Gen 3). It probably meets it for 5W-30 but since it doesn't meet it for 0W-20, they don't certify the entire line.

It was indeed reported to have higher Noack than the Pennzoil Platinum, albeit no data was available for 0W-20.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...platinum-and-ultra-platinum-noack-values

It could also be because it has sulphated ash (SA) > 1.0%.

Therefore, the answer is that the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum probably does not meet dexos1, because of higher Noack and/or higher SA.

Originally Posted by buddylpal
Originally Posted by shanneba
maybe because the Ultra is not "resource conserving", the regular Ultra is "resource conserving"

What?

There was a Pennzoil Ultra Platinum of the old oils. The new oils is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum PurePlus Technology. Basically, it was all before Pennzoil\Shell switch to natural gas.

Originally Posted by BucDan
There was a Pennzoil Ultra Platinum of the old oils. The new oils is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum PurePlus Technology. Basically, it was all before Pennzoil\Shell switch to natural gas.

The original Pennzoil Ultra was PAO-based, which is long gone. That was a legendary oil. When the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum came, they replaced the PAO base oil with Group III+ base oil. Then the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus (PurePlus = Pearl, Qatar GTL) came.

We're looking at a low volume product, which could be facing re-formulation due to new specifications SP and GF-6.
Until those specs are set in stone, why would a company that historically doesn't apply for licensing unless it makes sense to do so, make the application with the possibility, however remote, that it will need to re-apply?
If SOPUS wants PZL Ultra to be Dexos licensed, they'll formulate so it can be. The licensing will happen on their and GM's schedule(s).

*While Pennzoil did not want to spend the money for DEXOS certification with GM - they have a marketing problem : What to do with Ultra ?

Last edited:
Back