Car insurance coverage

Pew

Hi folks,

I literally just saved 40% by switching from Progressive to Geico (thanks to the folks here that reminded me I needed to get re-quoted.) I'm looking through my policy now for my daily driver 2015 Focus SE (185K miles; 1 year left to pay off) and I have the limits I have below. Should I change anything? What would you guys have? Can somebody also please clarify why the collision and uninsured motorist can't be carried at the same time?

For You and Others
Bodily Injury Liability: $50,000/$100,000
Property Damage Liability: $50,000
Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: $50,000/$100,000
Underinsured Motorist: $50,000/$100,000
Comprehensive: $250 Ded.
Collision: $250 Ded.
Emergency Road Service: $5
Rental Reimbursement: $30/Day, $900Max

I have the following discounts:
Good Driver Discount
Military Price Track
Anti-Lock Brakes
Continuous Insurance
Anti-Theft Device

I'm going to add on accident-forgiveness. It's supposed to be an extra $21/ 6 months but somehow it drops my premium another $6. I've been in two not-at-fault accidents and hit some curbs over 6 years ago in my previous car but nothing since.

Last edited:
Check to see if you get any discounts for:
1) Good driving OR Accident free
2) Accident Prevention Course / take online and discount good for 3 years
3) Anti-Lock Brakes
4) Anti-thieft devise
5) Daytime running lights

I save a lot because I don't have Collision

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Check to see if you get any discounts for:
1) Good driving OR Accident free
2) Accident Prevention Course / take online and discount good for 3 years
3) Anti-Lock Brakes
4) Anti-thieft devise
5) Daytime running lights

I save a lot because I don't have Collision

Thanks, I just edited my OP to add the discounts I have:

Good Driver Discount
Military Price Track
Anti-Lock Brakes
Continuous Insurance
Anti-Theft Device

Geico offers a defensive driving discount but I haven't taken a defensive driving class to be eligible for it.

Those Liability Limits are extremely low - I regularly see Liability Claims from rear-end accidents exceed $100K. You may want to revisit that section very closely.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Those Liability Limits are extremely low - I regularly see Liability Claims from rear-end accidents exceed $100K. You may want to revisit that section very closely.

+2, and if they have more on the line they'll fight harder to defend you.

Originally Posted by eljefino

+2, and if they have more on the line they'll fight harder to defend you.

I don't think he actually posted collision coverage. Usually it's a separate number like 100/300 or 250/500. He only posted that he had a $250 deductible. Those other 50/100 are probably state minimums. You could bump those up too.

I've been with Geico for years and I shop around every year. Still cheapest by a long shot, of course I get the Berkshire-Hathaway 20% discount. I've never had a claim so can't comment on their actual service.

If it's garaged you might be able to get an additional reduction for that as well. I go with $1,000 deductibles on both comp and liability...others may disagree but with the savings in premiums do the math and it won't take long to come out ahead. Yes, you are rolling the dice that you won't need to make a claim before the break-even point but I've had Geico for years with 3 vehicles and no claims...if you're willing to up them to even a $500 deductible you'll save more too.

Had someone crash in to me who had Geico. To their credit-they called me after the accident-then it all went downhill after that.

They insisted that I take my vehicle to their contracted repair shop-20 miles away, when there was a body shop that I had a relationship with three miles away. After much back and forth-I told them where to shove it and made a claim on my own insurance. My insurance company through subrogation with Geico got them to pay 97% of the claim.

Never Geico-after my experience.

Your experience my differ......

Last edited:

Yes they are low. I have Geico and I got a $1 million liability umbrella policy for $159 a year. However they require you have at least $250,000/$500,000 on your auto insurance to qualify for the umbrella.

I would increase liability; I had coverage like you currently have, up to a year or so ago, and then (you can search for the thread here--I posted about it beforehand, and I recall one or two at least talking about legal problems they had, or might have, if coverage was limited to 100K) I had it raised to 250K/500K. This especially makes sense if you have a home or savings that could get wiped out in a claim against you or your car.

Last edited:
Buy as much insurance as you can afford. Uninsured/Underinsured motorist especially. Bump up that bodily injury too.

Thanks guys, I'm still playing with their insurance calculator online. How does the following sound (changes in bold)

Bodily Injury Liability: from $50,000/$100,000 to $500,000/$500,000
Property Damage Liability: from $50,000 to $250,000
Medical Payments:$5,000

Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury: from $50,000/$100,000 to $500,000/$500,000
Underinsured Motorist: from $50,000/$100,00 to $500,000/$500,000
Comprehensive: $250 Ded.
Collision: $250 Ded.
Emergency Road Service: $5
Rental Reimbursement: $30/Day, $900Max
Accident Forgiveness

All of this added on and I still save money over Progressive.

Originally Posted by CKN
Had someone crash in to me who had Geico. To their credit-they called me after the accident-then it all went downhill after that.

They insisted that I take my vehicle to their contracted repair shop-20 miles away, when there was a body shop that I had a relationship with three miles away. After much back and forth-I told them where to shove it and made a claim on my own insurance. My insurance company through subrogation with Geico got them to pay 97% of the claim.

Never Geico-after my experience.

Your experience my differ......

I've heard horror stories about Geico too but I bit the bullet, tried them and got lucky with my Evo's claims with Geico. It was pretty seamless but I was on the opposite end of the check.

Last edited:
One other thing, looks like you may be a vet. Give USAA a look see. I almost pulled the trigger with them a couple years ago but Geico was too much cheaper with my corporate discount.

For Bodily Injury Liability, 100/300K is what I suggest unless you're young and don't have any assets to lose should you cause a nasty accident. That amount is a good compromise between cost and protection. If you have the money and/or need extra protection (lots of money/assets) go higher.

Originally Posted by azjake

Yes they are low. I have Geico and I got a $1 million liability umbrella policy for $159 a year. However they require you have at least $250,000/$500,000 on your auto insurance to qualify for the umbrella.

The issue being is that Geico doesn't write homeowners (If you own a home). It can get "messy" if you have two insurance companies involved on a claim-in regards to your umbrella policy.

You need to look at your own financial picture to help determine what liability limits to carry. If you rent your house and don't have a ton of assets, the $50/100k is fine. If you own a house and have some money, definitely bump it up. I will say I never saw anyone have their personal assets gone after in many years of working in insurance. Not saying it doesn't happen but it's very rare. Now if you like to drink and drive, speed and crash into buses full of highly paid surgeons, get the extra insurance.

Originally Posted by CKN

The issue being is that Geico doesn't write homeowners (If you own a home). It can get "messy" if you have two insurance companies involved on a claim-in regards to your umbrella policy.

Yeah, messy, but probably two sets of lawyers. One will probably just cave and pay the limit of the policy and the other set fights it in court for their share of responsibility. I used to think 1 million was enough but hospital bills can easily go up like crazy and if there are long term health implications, I would think 2-5 million should cover that. I don't think the extra cost between 1 and 2 million is that high as there are very few cases where the judgement goes that high.

Thanks folks, I increased all my coverage. I room with a friend that owns a townhouse and I really don't own much. The only expensive thing I own is the focus and my computer LOL. I'm extremely attentive when I drive.; I used to speed a lot years ago but now I just want to drive without any drama and issues.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by CKN

Yeah, messy, but probably two sets of lawyers. One will probably just cave and pay the limit of the policy and the other set fights it in court for their share of responsibility. I used to think 1 million was enough but hospital bills can easily go up like crazy and if there are long term health implications, I would think 2-5 million should cover that. I don't think the extra cost between 1 and 2 million is that high as there are very few cases where the judgement goes that high.

You only have to worry about a max judgement if you have assets that high. For example-most home owners are millionaires in Southern California. If you own a house (the vast majority in nice areas are pushing one million) and if you have any money at all in the bank) that's what you need to protect. Any Lawyer will run an "assets check" from public records should you be at a partially at fault or at fault accident-or other situation.

Back