Ford 9.75 Rear Diff Cover with Drain plug recommendation

Should be a 9.75 axle. Its a little different because it is a full floater on the Transits with rear hubs. You should be ablw to get away with any diff cover for a 9.75", there is lots of room under there. Without getting into the argument over the "flat back" thing that seems to rustle feathers here, just get whatever one seems to work best for you for whatever you want to spend.

I installed this one on my 2018 F250
So if your van has a Sterling Ford 9.75 rear end
This will work

DC2D51F6-CDE6-44BC-8D34-49A7446B31C2.jpeg

Originally Posted by kstanf150
This will work

I am losing it i thought the Stirling was 10.5 or something.

CT
I saw the pool beneath the rings, I will clean it the first time and then do frequent drain and fill.

Gasket sounds great, when you say grease, do you mean just apply some fresh gear oil to it?

BD
Lol, Banks came out with some youtube videos on how the flatback messes with fluid flow. The banks one runs $400, cough cough.

I just want one that has a drain plug that I can have on my hand quickly. I want to avoid going to dealer...

So any 9.75 ford cover will fit? I will check the clearance again,

This will work

KStan,
Which cover is this? link please.

lol, This is my first ford and I am losing it with the tranny and diffy not having a drain plug.

F150's get the 9.75 semi-float C-clip
F250/350's get the 10.5 full-float (the previous Sterling was the 10.25)

The Transit gets a version of the 9.75 with a full float hub that includes the studs on the face.

The rear diff cover part numbers for a 9.75 and 10.5 are not the same. Not sure what the difference is.

Was thinking about using either one in a Jeep project.

Originally Posted by CT8
This will work

I am losing it i thought the Stirling was 10.5 or something.

2018 F250's never came with a 9.75.

The options were Sterling 10.5 or Dana275 (HD tow).

Part Number 7092

Ford Sterling 9.75" Ring Gear
, 12 Bolt, Straight Fins

Part Number 9594

Ford Sterling 9.75" Ring Gear, 12 Bolt, Patterned Fins

Part Number 7086

Ford Sterling 10.25" & 10.5" Ring Gear
, 12 Bolt, Straight Fins

Part Number 9513

Ford Sterling 10.25" & 10.5" Ring Gear, 12 Bolt, Patterned Fins

The site you posted lists different PN's for the 9.75 vs the 10.25/10.5
Again, not sure what that difference is.

Your right I'm sorry about the 9.75

The 250 is a 10.5 but looks the same
Sorry for the misled

Mine of my 250 looks just like the 9.75

Last edited:
Your right I'm sorry about the 9.75

The 250 is a 10.5 but looks the same
Sorry for the misled

Mine of my 250 looks just like the 9.75

No need for apologies, just didn't want the dude to order the wrong cover.

I always wondered what the difference is as the center sections look identical. I've been looking into these more for my rock crawler build, as they are cheap and plentiful in the boneyards.

The 9.75 is 34 spline shafts and approximate strength to a Dana 60. The 10.25/10.5 is closer to a 14 bolt.

Your correct those a really good rear ends. Mine has the
e-locker which is really nice when off road

Get a big nut and matching drain Bolt and have it welded onto the stock cover for $10 and call it a day. Most aftermarket suggest usage is for additional capacity or cooling which you're not interested in.

Originally Posted by stockrex
CT
I saw the pool beneath the rings, I will clean it the first time and then do frequent drain and fill.

Gasket sounds great, when you say grease, do you mean just apply some fresh gear oil to it?

BD
Lol, Banks came out with some youtube videos on how the flatback messes with fluid flow. The banks one runs $400, cough cough.

I just want one that has a drain plug that I can have on my hand quickly. I want to avoid going to dealer...

So any 9.75 ford cover will fit? I will check the clearance again,

The diff cover listed for the Transit in the catalog is the same as a F-150 with a 9.75".

There was a thread on the Banks cover here a while ago that went on forever. My personal opinion is that the Banks one looks cool, but the tests seemed skewed to show his cover was the bees knees and holy good god is it expensive.

Ford would have used RTV as a seal. The Lube Locker gaskets are pretty spiffy if the cover has a flat flange. Mag HyTec uses a giant o-ring type seal thingy.

I have a 2018 transit 350, 148" wheelbase low roof. It wasn't too bad changing the differential fluid. There was an old metal gasket with a rubber seal on it. I don't know if that was factory or not, as I acquired the vehicle used. I needed to clean up some surface rust on the mating surfaces. I put in a 9.75" lube locker that has worked well.

If I were to put in a new cover, I would do one of the PML covers that kstandf150 posted. I actually seriously considered those, but decided to drain and fill the old fashioned way. I'd look at how much clearance you have though. It's not the spare tire that gets in the way, My transit has a sway bar that is pretty close to the differential cover.

Last edited:
Spicer 10023539 Differential Cover

How about this one? half the price of the others and FORD actually rebrands this one and sells it as Ford part.

Yes, I need to check for clearance, I will be changing oil today and I will take some pics.

How do I know if I have a Limited Slip diffy, can I run my VIN?

Originally Posted by stockrex
Spicer 10023539 Differential Cover

How about this one? half the price of the others and FORD actually rebrands this one and sells it as Ford part.

Yes, I need to check for clearance, I will be changing oil today and I will take some pics.

How do I know if I have a Limited Slip diffy, can I run my VIN?

Do you have the owners manual ?
If so look at the decal on the door post for the axle code and match to the Manuel

I ended up buying the FORD performance part diffy cover, which is a Spicer Diffy Cover.

it came with a gasket but gasket was pretty beat up as there was NO packing material in the box that used to ship the HEAVY cover and gasket.

Here is a pic:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Qs
1. Do I use the gasket that came with it? is yes, any additional gasket material or sealant application needed on top of the gasket?
2. Torque, how much do I torque the bolts?
3. Fill Capacity - what is the capacity with the new cover? factory spec is around 2.6 qts with OEM cover, wonder how much more I have to fill with this cover?

Back