FRAM Tough Guard date code

Got 12 older FRAM Tough Guards cheap off eBay. Wondering what the manufacture dates are.

[Linked Image]

2012 & 2013. No way it's 2002 & 2003. Or is it? Like the diamond plate graphic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MrQuackers
2012 & 2013. No way it's 2002 & 2003. Or is it? Like the diamond plate graphic.

I dunno, did the filters in 2012 or 2013 say AlliedSignal on them?

No grip coating, may be 2002 & 2003

How cheap was this score?

Last edited:
No grip coating, may be 2002 & 2003

How cheap was this score?

Well, the boxes that they were in said 1997

All 12 filters were $17 and free shipping
grin2.gif

Last edited:
These date codes don't follow the Fram date code used today. I'm thinking "F" is the year and the 3 digest after "F" is the Julian calendar day.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
These date codes don't follow the Fram date code used today. I'm thinking "F" is the year and the 3 digest after "F" is the Julian calendar day.

I guess that'd make sense that they were made the 265th and 321st day of 97'. I think the Allied name was dropped off of products before the year 2000.
When did Fram stop using those PTFE coated red colored gaskets?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

A google search is useless too. Made in Ontario Canada
08.gif
34.gif
10.gif

[Linked Image]

Stude ... contact Fram and see if they can look-up the date code.

There was a time when the Tough Guard filters had a screen to filter the bypassed oil.

One filter to the altar
laugh.gif

Nah, when I run one 10k I'll chop it. Had a chat with FRAM, they had no info since part # was Allied Signal part #

Those are pretty old. I personally wouldn't run one till I had cut and determined the ADBV wasn't hard as a rock, and at that age the glue could be a concern. It could be dried out, cracked and flaking off. Horrors!

Was that enough to get you to cut one???
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Those are pretty old. I personally wouldn't run one till I had cut and determined the ADBV wasn't hard as a rock, and at that age the glue could be a concern. It could be dried out, cracked and flaking off. Horrors!

Was that enough to get you to cut one???
grin2.gif

Oh I guess I'll cut one. Pretty bummed FRAM couldn't decipher the date of manufacture.

Back