Mack Tow-Truck, truck towing truck

866 c.i and only 375hp?

Heck my 6.0 PSD makes that from 365 c.i.along with over 500 lb/ft of torque.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by racin4ds
866 c.i and only 375hp?

smile.gif

The Cummins in our new Kenworth (9L, 542ci PACCAR branded as PX-9) is 350HP, 1150lb-ft. It's pretty standard for HD engines to have higher torque and lower HP. I remember even the old CAT OTR truck engines, the C16 (964ci) maxed out at 600HP in stock trim, but 2,050lb-ft though
wink.gif

Our previous Freightshakers all had 240-250HP 7L engines
lol.gif

866 c.i and only 375hp?

smile.gif

My Peterbilt was 855CI and 250hp. Add a Turbo and it becomes a 280hp.

Remember:

HP = Torque x RPM /5252

So if you make a ton of torque low, your HP can never be as high as if youre making it way up in the RPM band.

Plus, remember industrial engines are generally reeled in a hair so that they can be rated for more continuous duty. I'm not quite sure if this applies to diesels since there is no real "consumer" market for these behemoths, but if you look at Ford and GM's HD platforms with gas engines in the F650 range (the box truck/ambulance stuff), they are usually 25-30HP shy of the F250 gas engine ratings. I won't pretend to know how it works or why they do it that way, though. You'd expect any engine with airflow across the radiator to be able to sustain max HP indefinitely, at least in my book. Otherwise it's not going to last IRL!

866 c.i and only 375hp?

smile.gif

Torque is the magic number.
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Upped to 480HP and probably 2800 ft-lbs LOL

More like 1200ft lbs is all.

Yeah I have seen broken drive shafts on semis and they are very heavy, there is lots of torque that can't be compared to the diesels in the pick ups.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Upped to 480HP and probably 2800 ft-lbs LOL

More like 1200ft lbs is all.

Guy who did the tune reckoned 1,900...needed for towing fully laden semi's up the hills around here.

It's apparently the setup that they used for 3 trailers 110T payload in the middle of Oz road trains...

It sounded so good barking off the valley walls when I was out walking the other day...

Back