The sons of Lars Ulrich cover Eleanor Rigby

It was all "staticy" sounding....a harsh, roughened sound. Gotta be my ancient computer.

Don't get me wrong...I'm adaptable to any funk 'n frolic but this was clicky like sheded tape

Originally Posted by Kira
It was all "staticy" sounding....a harsh, roughened sound. Gotta be my ancient computer.

That guitar does sound very buzzy. Is that how it's supposed to sound?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Kira

That guitar does sound very buzzy. Is that how it's supposed to sound?

I think it's intentional? Harks back to Cliff Burton using a distortion pedal on the bass in the early years of Metallica. It sounds like a less refined version of what you hear at the beginning of pulling teeth (which shouldn't be surprising given how this was recorded versus a studio production).

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Is he doing all that on a bass guitar? That's awesome!

Yep, my hot take is that he was inspired by Cliff Burton.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

That's insane being able to play a bass like that! First time I've ever heard anyone do that.

That's insane being able to play a bass like that! First time I've ever heard anyone do that.

Sounds like you need to listen to some old Metallica. Look up "Cliff 'em all", it's a video, and you'll see arguably the greatest bassist of all time playing even harder than that. Cliff was absolutely incredible.

Sounds like you need to listen to some old Metallica. Look up "Cliff 'em all", it's a video, and you'll see arguably the greatest bassist of all time playing even harder than that. Cliff was absolutely incredible.

Right on,will do!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic

That gave me chills, thank you! Jimmy Hendrix of the bass as he is so often called. As an aside, Kirk Hammett looks like he's 14, LOL!!!
lol.gif

I have played bass for over 30 years; for a short while professionally. I operated a recording studio for several years. There is not a hint of irony or tongue-in-cheek humour in this statement:

bass guitar = pitched flatulence

A man goes on a vacation to a tropical island. As soon as the plane lands, he gets off and hears drumming. At first, he thinks, "This is pretty cool". He ends up going to a luau and hears the drumming. He eats lunch and hears the drums. He goes to the beach and hears the drums. He tries to sleep, but can't because of the constant drumming.

The drumming goes on for four days. The guy has to go down to the front desk because he can't sleep. He asks the manager "What is the deal with these drums! Make them stop. I haven't got any sleep this whole week!"

The manager of the hotel says "No. Drums don't stop. You don't want the drums to stop, sir."

"Why?"

"Because when drums stop… Bass solo begins!"

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
I have played bass for over 30 years; for a short while professionally. I operated a recording studio for several years. There is not a hint of irony or tongue-in-cheek humour in this statement:

bass guitar = pitched flatulence

A man goes on a vacation to a tropical island. As soon as the plane lands, he gets off and hears drumming. At first, he thinks, "This is pretty cool". He ends up going to a luau and hears the drumming. He eats lunch and hears the drums. He goes to the beach and hears the drums. He tries to sleep, but can't because of the constant drumming.

The drumming goes on for four days. The guy has to go down to the front desk because he can't sleep. He asks the manager "What is the deal with these drums! Make them stop. I haven't got any sleep this whole week!"

The manager of the hotel says "No. Drums don't stop. You don't want the drums to stop, sir."

"Why?"

"Because when drums stop… Bass solo begins!"

Groan
lol.gif

I also play bass, never professionally, I picked it up the summer before I went to University (so like 1997?) and have always just played casually for personal enjoyment or with friends. A buddy of mine who lived with me for a while, when he moved to London and we'd visit, his dad had a great RB bass that I always loved playing and so a friend of his would come over with some drums and we'd hammer out Neil Young, Metallica...etc. That's about the closest I ever came to playing in a group.

Back