Ventless/ sealed auto battery

Is there such a thing anymore? Preferably in the size 151R.

The DieHard Platinum on my Jeep is sealed, but last I knew that battery was discontinued.

Try an AGM battery, they're still vented but not as much. I have a 12 year old AGM battery in my car and the terminal posts are pristine because it doesn't really vent and there's a vent tube for it anyway.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Try an AGM battery, they're still vented but not as much. I have a 12 year old AGM battery in my car and the terminal posts are pristine because it doesn't really vent and there's a vent tube for it anyway.

Are AGM batteries expected to last that long? If they are, it would sure beat buying lead acid batteries.

Originally Posted by wwillson

Are AGM batteries expected to last that long? If they are, it would sure beat buying lead acid batteries.

Accidentally double posted so I changed this. The AGM's are gaining traction. We put one in my son's Silverado. Three years so far without problems but too early to tell.

Last edited:

Just a terminology note. AGM ( absorbed glass mat) are still considered lead acid but have a glass mat between the plates that wick the acid up instead of the plates being immersed in the liquid acid. Not sure about the longevity. The other type of lead acid battery would be considered conventional or flooded.
smile.gif

Last edited:
My biggest concern is battery ooz-age leaking out like what is seen on the octagon capped JC batteries at Walmart.

All the Benz's I have owned have/had AGM batteries and the normally last 10+ years.

Having said that, they put their Batteries in Trunk or under the seat and not subjected to temperature extremes.

The Duracell and EverStart branded batteries made by East Penn are sealed - as in, no removable cell caps - but are vented. As was previously mentioned AGM batteries are vented, too. I'm pretty sure all lead-acid batteries have to be vented in some way.

Originally Posted by DallasTexas
All the Benz's I have owned have/had AGM batteries and the normally last 10+ years.

Having said that, they put their Batteries in Trunk or under the seat and not subjected to temperature extremes.

Great point ^^^^

In the trunk away from heat in the motor compartment is extremely helpful to battery longevity...

Originally Posted by dlundblad
My biggest concern is battery ooz-age leaking out like what is seen on the octagon capped JC batteries at Walmart.

Often times you get terminal corrosion because there is imperceptible seal leakage where the post goes into the case. People here at BITOG claim that East Penn/Deka batteries don't have this problem as much.

Originally Posted by bbhero

Great point ^^^^

In the trunk away from heat in the motor compartment is extremely helpful to battery longevity...

Back when I had my Lincoln LS, I replaced the factory battery at almost exactly 7 years out of necessity(1/04 build date, replaced 1/11). It rode in the spare tire well, and was vented by way of a hose running out of the car. The battery I pulled out was pristine enough that it could have passed as new, and I'd not really even touched it in the time I owned the car. I put another Motorcraft in it, and it looked every bit as good when I sold the car.

I have no idea who makes the batteries for Motorcraft, but apparently those at least were both high quality batteries, and the mounting/vent arrangement kept them exceptionally clean.

It depends on what part of the country and whether the battery is in the engine compartment or somewhere else. AGM's sometimes don't last as long as lead-acid in places like the south and southwest and/or in an engine compartment.

AGM batteries vent at ~1% of other non-sealed batteries. The AGM batteries have a glass mat to wick electrolyte. They are also called Valve-Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA), because they are "sealed" with a valve that opens if and only if the internal pressure (from overvoltages due to high rate/high voltage charging, electrolyzing the water in there) goes too high. Otherwise it stays shut to allow the H2/O2 to recombine.

OP, Id recommend considering an AGM battery if you are set on having it be "sealed". Not entirely sure why it matters in many/most applications, but that's your call.

Mine is in the trunk so that's probably partly why it lasted so long. Regardless, AGM batteries are supposed to last longer than regular batteries anyway. But some newer cars tend to not charge up the battery that much so they end up not lasting as long.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
AGM batteries vent at ~1% of other non-sealed batteries. The AGM batteries have a glass mat to wick electrolyte. They are also called Valve-Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA), because they are "sealed" with a valve that opens if and only if the internal pressure (from overvoltages due to high rate/high voltage charging, electrolyzing the water in there) goes too high. Otherwise it stays shut to allow the H2/O2 to recombine.

OP, Id recommend considering an AGM battery if you are set on having it be "sealed". Not entirely sure why it matters in many/most applications, but that's your call.

All AGM I have encountered are vented to exterior of cabin.

"But even AGM batteries face challenges. "AGM batteries will perform well in the heat, but the life span will be hampered due to loss of water from the high temperatures," says Jeff Barron, research lab manager for Interstate Batteries. Barron explained that while some traditional batteries, known as "flooded," can have their water replenished (with distilled water) to extend their service life, AGM batteries are sealed."

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ts-your-car-battery-what-to-do-about-it/

Mine is in the trunk so that's probably partly why it lasted so long. Regardless, AGM batteries are supposed to last longer than regular batteries anyway. But some newer cars tend to not charge up the battery that much so they end up not lasting as long.

Another very good point Wolf ^^^^^^

Originally Posted by JHZR2

All AGM I have encountered are vented to exterior of cabin.

Do they not leak then? My wife's Volvo is setup similar. The battery is in the trunk and is vented by a tube that runs below and out the car.

I don't remember it leaking, but the battery is way too big for my needs. H11 I believe.

Got around 8 years out of the last battery IIRC.

Last edited:
Back