PPE-gloves

Will be handling lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, and kerosene.

Is there a specific glove that will allow me to handle all of the mentioned chemicals and possibly others.

Would like to buy a reusable glove

And last question, if not reusing gloves (one time only use), does thickness matter?

Not sure if I should be posting this question here but if it needs to be moved then please do.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Others can chime in, but I believe nitrile disposable gloves can handle those liquids. You can also find re-usable, chemical resistant gloves if you prefer that style. I've found that the thicker nitrile ones are far less prone to ripping or tearing like some of the thin ones are. I reuse them several times.

You should be fine. The brand we have at work can withstand acetone.

The mil thickness does matter IMO especially if you're buying from HF. Then again, if you're just going to be holding a brush, you should be fine. Mechanic work with the thin ones are a definite no go though.

Better gloves pay off if you're doing work.

With this virus going around it's funny to see all the gloves thrown down on the ground. Must be a macho thing.

Ha, you can tell who doesn't pay for their own gloves....they're the ones who throw 'em on the ground after one use.

I use kitchen gloves from dollar store, thicker and I use the same to handle fish and to do gardening, I can wash them at the end and reuse them.

Nitrile will work. I use 6 mil nitrile disposable gloves. Nearly impossible to find at the moment, but they will hold up well to those chemicals. The 6 mil is tear-resistant.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Nitrile will work. I use 6 mil nitrile disposable gloves. Nearly impossible to find at the moment, but they will hold up well to those chemicals. The 6 mil is tear-resistant.

These (6 mil) are what I use for work; and I carry a box in my car with me to different job sites: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Venom-Steel-100-Count-One-Size-Fits-All-Nitrile-Cleaning-Glove/50370846
These gloves are black outside and white inside so you can easily see when you have a hole. (this is NOT mentioned in their description).
They are a little higher priced than lots of "disposable" gloves, but a single pair sometimes lasts me all day. Hint: I put baby powder/talc powder on my hands prior to using the gloves. They come on and off much easier, and perspiration is usually what makes them fall apart.

If you need high dexterity, sure go with 6mil or thinner but expect them to tear far more easily. I use 9mil nitrile and keep debating going with something thicker, but the thicker you go, the more important that you get a good size match because they don't stretch as much.

The cheaper, lower quality gloves often have thinner spots, that mil thickness is at the thickest points, not the thinnest. I mean they all have thinner spots but the QC on cheaper gloves, can make them a false economy if you got them thick with the intention for them to hold up long enough to be reused "some" of the time (depending on task).

Ironically I first got turned onto nitrile gloves not for automotive use but for making hot sauce with super hot peppers. Latex doesn't cut it, pepper oil goes through them and you're in for a day of pain.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where one can actually by Automotive Nitrile Gloves? Seems like it is out of stock everywhere including Harbor Freight.

Not going to find them at HF. They donated all of their stock to hospitals.

You're going to be hard pressed to find some right now.

Back