Extract oil....not for me.

I could see the time saving benefits if you have a filter on top of the engine but that is all. I have a lift and during the time the vehicle is up in the air I do a thorough inspection of the brakes,suspension,steering,exhaust, CV/U joints. Check for leaks and generally look for anything out of the ordinary. Of course you can also do the other under the car fluid services as required. So I guess the question is, do folks that use extractors forego the other maintenance that requires being under the car. I see many flush the transmission without changing the filter, why bother? I guess it isn't too surprising on a board that the majority is fixated on the lowest cost /longest OCI available for their vehicle. Do oil extractor folks do the required inspections that require being under the car or do they skip them?

Not many people would argue with you if they had Lifts. If I had a lift, I would totally agree with you. When I found out that Mercedes dealers used extraction, I started using one. The filter is on the top and it's the only thing I can do on the car these days.
But you are correct in being able to inspect everything.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Do oil extractor folks do the required inspections that require being under the car or do they skip them?

I skipped 'em. In NH it goes on a lift once/year no matter what due to safety inspection.

Despite "never" being under the car I still caught a CV boot when it gave up, on my one car that I did topside oil changes on. [On that car the oil filter could only be changed topside. And it had a bellypan with at least 10 bolts holding it in place.]

So I guess the question is, do folks that use extractors forego the other maintenance that requires being under the car. …. Do oil extractor folks do the required inspections that require being under the car or do they skip them?

What other "maintenance" are you referring to?
It's not like everyone is driving around in a 64 Fury with greasable u joints, ball joints and tie rod ends.

I could see the time saving benefits if you have a filter on top of the engine but that is all. I have a lift and during the time the vehicle is up in the air I do a thorough inspection of the brakes,suspension,steering,exhaust, CV/U joints. Check for leaks and generally look for anything out of the ordinary. Of course you can also do the other under the car fluid services as required. So I guess the question is, do folks that use extractors forego the other maintenance that requires being under the car. I see many flush the transmission without changing the filter, why bother? I guess it isn't too surprising on a board that the majority is fixated on the lowest cost /longest OCI available for their vehicle. Do oil extractor folks do the required inspections that require being under the car or do they skip them?

If you can get the drain plug out then why not drain the oil. I have the Fumoto on my Subaru and I can just feel for the level to turn. So I do not have to get under very far.

Marine engines are what typically have used extractors I thought.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
So I guess the question is, do folks that use extractors forego the other maintenance that requires being under the car. …. Do oil extractor folks do the required inspections that require being under the car or do they skip them?

It's not like everyone is driving around in a 64 Fury with greasable u joints, ball joints and tie rod ends.

Exactly. Just because you're doing stuff doesn't mean your vehicle will last or drive longer or better.

My sense is that extraction is great for vehicles with the filter accessible from above. If one has to get under the car then the advantage goes away.

I do agree with the idea that getting underneath allows one to visually inspect for anything amiss. You can catch problems early on. That goes for above as well. A quick check around plus topping off washer fluids makes sense.

The filter on two of my vehicles is on top of the engine, but I still drain from below. For me, there is no advantage to extraction.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy

Exactly. Just because you're doing stuff doesn't mean your vehicle will last or drive longer or better.

So maybe Sloinker's use of the word 'maintenance' was misplaced but additional visual inspection is certainly a reasonable expectation when under a vehicle.

All it takes is one time of spotting a torn CV or ball joint boot early to make it worth while.

I have an extractor. I normally don't use them for oil changes on the vehicles. Primarily used for Lawnmower, Snowblower and fluid extractions for Power steering reservoirs, P/S lines etc.

Usually inspect stuff when I'm swapping winter tires twice a year and when I do oil changes.

In the owners manual, maintenance manual there are time and mileage intervals for all I noted. Many can only be done from under the vehicle.

One can reach an age where it is very difficult to crawl under to do the oil drain. At that point we have a choice of suck out the oil and replace or let someone else drain it. I will most probably do the suck it out method IF the design lets my get ~ 95% out. Ed

Even on cars with filters below, extracting all the oil from above makes for much less hassle and mess for me.

99% of the oil transports itself into the sealed extractor vessel, as if by magic. Then it's an easy, clean pour with the integrated spout directly into my recycling jugs.

Or I could let 5+ quarts of scalding hot oil come blasting out the drain hole that's 8" from my face as I lay on my back and hope I catch it all in the catch pan. Then slide the sloshing pan out from under the car, again hoping I don't spill more on the way to my recycling jugs.

Been using an oil extractor every chance I can for 15+
years and I'll never go back.

Plus, changing oil on outdoor power equipment with one is by-far the best way to do it.

Originally Posted by E365

Or I could let 5+ quarts of scalding hot oil come blasting out the drain hole that's 8" from my face as I lay on my back and hope I catch it all in the catch pan. Then slide the sloshing pan out from under the car, again hoping I don't spill more on the way to my recycling jugs.

Pretty dramatic...

This seems to say much more about the operator than the method.

Six things you're doing wrong here:
1. Scalding hot oil. (Cold is fine. Warm if you must).
2. Blasting out the drain hole. (Leave the fill cap on when draining).
3. 8" from your face. (Completely controllable).
4. Hoping you catch it all. (C'mon man...).
5. A sloshing pan. (Really?!?).
6. Hoping you don't spill. (Also completely controllable).

Each of these are easily eliminated by simply being deliberate and diligent in your work. Nothing more.

Originally Posted by Imp4

Six things you're doing wrong here:
1. Scalding hot oil.
2. Blasting out the drain hole.
3. 8" from your face.
4. Hoping you catch it all.
5. A sloshing pan.
6. Hoping you don't spill.

Each of these are easily eliminated by simply being deliberate and diligent in your work. Nothing more.

Of course they are. The extractor is just a vastly better method.

And for number 3., I bought my extractor initially to work on a lowered BMW. Even on Rhino Ramps your face is about 4" from the bottom of the engine. Far easier to extract from the top vs getting under it.

According to whom?

So here we are then at differences of opinion.
From my perspective, why spend the $50-$75+ for a tool that really isn't needed?
It's just a preference.
To each their own.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by raburn2906

Pretty dramatic...

Yes, on purpose. ...‚

Originally Posted by Imp4

So here we are then at differences of opinion.
From my perspective, why spend the $50-$75+ for a tool that really isn't needed?
It's just a preference.
To each their own.

Cheers!!!
cheers3.gif

In my case it actually was needed! I bought a used car once, did an oil change the next day and found out the oil drain plug threads were pretty badly cross-threaded. I bought an oil extractor as a temporary solution until I could get around to doing a proper Time-Sert as I didn't want to touch the drain plug until it could be fixed.

That's when I learned how wonderful of a tool it was. Plus it was a BMW with the filter cartridge on top.

Back