6 Months OCI Extended??

Hello everyone. I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla that I only put about 6,000 miles per year. I do 80% city driving and short trips. So severe service, and I change every 6 months (on the dot) with a Fram Tough Guard and Valvoline Max Life. I became quite ill (still haven't received a Corona virus) and unable to change my oil. It's been going on more than 7 months now. Will this be okay? It's been a reliable car for me since I bought it 3 yrs ago. Only had to replace a rear hub bearing and horn sensor.

Yup, absolutely no trouble with what you've suggested.
Toyota calls for a 6 month/5,000 mile OCI. Say, 4500 miles and 9 months should not present any problems whatsoever.
I'd change it when you're able and not lose any sleep over it. The Maxlife you're using is certainly better than what was around 15 years ago, what Toyota based their interval on, and it's even a synthetic blend. Good oil.
Only thing I'd say is just make sure the level is in range.
Stay healthy and safe out there.

If you aren't driving all that much and occasionally take it out on the highway for 20 minutes or so every couple weeks you'll be fine... after all it is a corolla.

i don't see no harm carrying out an extra month.. corolla's are easy on oil.

maybe you can get the car to a trusty service station in your town.. have them do a full synthetic oil change than you'll be good for 10k changes.

IMHO, with that many miles driven a year, even thou most are in city and short trips - just get quality full synth oil and a better oil filter and start doing it once a year.
Oil and filter may be a bit more $$ but you are doing it once a year vs twice which should make it cheaper if you consider annual oil changes expenses.

I advise leaving it until you feel well enough to change the oil.

MaxLife is a quality oil, I don't think you are asking too much of it.

Originally Posted by dubber09
IMHO, with that many miles driven a year, even thou most are in city and short trips - just get quality full synth oil and a better oil filter and start doing it once a year.
Oil and filter may be a bit more $$ but you are doing it once a year vs twice which should make it cheaper if you consider annual oil changes expenses.

Also, this ^^

If you want to stick with brands you're used to, Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic with a Fram Ultra filter would be an excellent choice for a 1 year OCI in your case. For that matter, even Supertech synthetic would do a good enough job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Hyperscn64
Hello everyone. I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla that I only put about 6,000 miles per year. I do 80% city driving and short trips. So severe service, and I change every 6 months (on the dot) with a Fram Tough Guard and Valvoline Max Life. I became quite ill (still haven't received a Corona virus) and unable to change my oil. It's been going on more than 7 months now. Will this be okay? It's been a reliable car for me since I bought it 3 yrs ago. Only had to replace a rear hub bearing and horn sensor.

Seriously if you lived closer I come over and do your OCI for you but a couple more months on the Valvoline Max Life isn't going to hurt a thing. Get well.

Last edited:
Like what has been previously said, switch to an All Synthetic 5W30 and an Fram Ultra Guard and you'll be good to go with a 1 year OCI. That is exactly what I am doing.

Hope you get better soon.
I'd do exactly what you do. Take care of your car and it takes care of you!

welcome2.gif

Like others have said; "don't worry and change it when you can"
Now, just think of getting better.

Last edited:
My father doesn't drive much so I change his oil every 12-18 months (about 3000 mi.). It's fine, oil doesn't disintegrate after six months, just do this:

Originally Posted by HyundaiAbuser
If you aren't driving all that much and occasionally take it out on the highway for 20 minutes or so every couple weeks you'll be fine... after all it is a corolla.

i followed a consistent one oci per year in may, 8-12k mile, on a 2004 toyota corolla and 2006 toyota highlander, both base 4cyl, that came to us used with about 25k miles each. mostly suburban driving with some more long highway trips on the corolla. mostly m1, but always a synthetic of some brand. both not one hiccup over a dozen years. based on bitog consultation, my current snowbird yaris gets a 1.5 year, 4k mile ish oci with semisynthetic, lately valvoline. regular 1 hour highway drives when im using it. a great little beastie. my 2.5 passat is spec'd to one year/10k mile oci with euro synthetic, which it gets on schedule at the vw dealership, also runs great.

If it's mine-twice a year oil change with synthetic on sale and with fumoto valve and change oil filter once a year.

Thanks everyone. What about the concept of using the same oil for a number of OCI's to get the full benefit of their add packs? I see some here like to switch around brands of oil every OCI?

I use same oil in Sportage and different ones in Forte.

My reasoning for different ones in Forte is due to car's mileage I had to use HM oil a couple of times to close very slow rear main leak (after the seal was replaced twice). I just buy what's cheap and on sale - Valvoline Daily Protection (it's a semi syn in 5w-30), SuperTech full syn, MaxLife, Mobil1 HM, etc. Sportage is still getting Penn Plat and at times Penn Ultra Plat.

Just don't overthink it, don't catch the OCD bug many on here have.

Thanks everyone. What about the concept of using the same oil for a number of OCI's to get the full benefit of their add packs? I see some here like to switch around brands of oil every OCI?

Where do you read some of these facts?

I usually pick an oil I like for the specs and price and stick with it until (I think) something better comes along.

Back