Windshield replacement costs!??

I hate dealing with glass. With Ford it ships direct from Carlite/Carlex. About 90% of the time it some in cracked or shattered. They either deliver it in a box strapped to a pallet, in a free standing box with no protection, or literally loose.

The last time I needed a windshield replaced was approx. 2015 on my 2008 Corolla (no fancy cameras etc..)
It cost me $180 and I've had no issue with it since....In approx. 2007 I had to replace the windshield on my
2002 Buick Century and it cost something similar....again...no issues afterwards.
Both times I had it done in the South Bronx (where I worked) where there is a lot of competition...
hence...good prices.

PS: Both times my windshields were cracked by debris (stones, gravel etc..) flying out the back of a dump truck
on the highway.....it happened again in 2017 to my Focus on Rt. 4 near Orlando, Fla. but I stopped at Walmart
and bought the epoxy kit and made a successful repair before the chip spread...no issues since.

I keep a wide berth from dump trucks on the highway and would be happy if the regulations were more
strictly enforced regarding them....

Last edited:
I did just have a windshield replaced on a 17 Subaru without the eyesight stuff. $275. They used a bit too much adhesive so the plastic moulding pieces barely hit the hood when you open the hood. Looked at a dealer lot and there's about 1 or 2 mm of clearance so I kind of shrugged my shoulders. Took it back and they said they could remove and reinstall. I contemplated but realized it didn't leak water or have wind noise so I just pop the plastic moulding out before opening the hood now LOL

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Also avoid these DOT codes. Absolute junk that should not be sold:

DOT 459 (Fuyao China)
DOT 563 (Xinyi or XYG)

Even if the glass has "stickers" indicating some better quality brand (Pilkington, etc) go by the silkscreened DOT code which doesn't lie about the origin.

And finally - ask that they remove the existing glass with a wire line cutter and not a blade. This prevents unnecessary marring to the metal and surrounding paint. They should also use a urethane that requires the car to sit for 15-30 minutes before you drive away. If they just throw it on and let you drive off, there's a good chance you'll have to go back some day due to leaks or misalignment.

The OEM front windshield on my Subaru Crosstrek took its first rock and cracked from side to side when I took my first left turn. It was replaced with a Fuyao that has taken no less than five rocks and is still going strong. There are chips all over the glass, but no cracks. I'll take the Fuyao any day of the week.

Highway driving is a [censored].

Last edited:
Just replaced windshield on a 17 Honda Accord Hybrid base It only has Lane Assist camera on the windshield. Price was $421 for the installed glass. I had to sign waver that calibration was not done. Honda dealer will charge $150 for calibration. I've been driving it around without calibration and the Lane Assist is working fine.......I don't think I need calibration.

Originally Posted by Tundragod
Just replaced windshield on a 17 Honda Accord Hybrid base It only has Lane Assist camera on the windshield. Price was $421 for the installed glass. I had to sign waver that calibration was not done. Honda dealer will charge $150 for calibration. I've been driving it around without calibration and the Lane Assist is working fine.......I don't think I need calibration.

Was the windshield OEM?

I don't think it is OEM. Label in the corner says, Pilkington. I went to a local company called K&M glass. I got two quotes and this was the cheaper one.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I'll give you an exact number. I just paid $739.41 to have the windshield replaced on our 2010 Honda Element. I had them use OEM Honda glass.

That's an exact number, $739.41.

Scott

That video does not have any fancy cameras. How come you did not opt for aftermarket? It would be around $200 only.

2018 F150 was $740ish. Local glass shop that the local ford dealer uses instead of doing it themselves. OEM glass the exact same as came from factory, wiper defrost, etc. I could be wrong but I think the light sensors above mirror stay with the truck.
And the Lane keeping and adaptive cruise sensor is in the grill IIRC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Reddy45

Also avoid these DOT codes. Absolute junk that should not be sold:

DOT 459 (Fuyao China)
DOT 563 (Xinyi or XYG)

FYG isn't that terrible - I would certainly take it, it's the better Chinese glass. XYG is sneaky - I've seen PGWs with that DOT code and they also have a contract with AGC Automotive Americas for their replacement glass. FYG also has DOT 747 and their Moraine, OH plant is DOT 1038.

I was in a Cruze as an insurance rental when my car had the cat stolen - all the glass on it was FYG, all OEM GM marked except for the windshield which was probably done by Safelite and it's aftermarket FYG. Optics were fine.

Originally Posted by nthach

FYG isn't that terrible - I would certainly take it, it's the better Chinese glass. XYG is sneaky - I've seen PGWs with that DOT code and they also have a contract with AGC Automotive Americas for their replacement glass. FYG also has DOT 747 and their Moraine, OH plant is DOT 1038.

I was in a Cruze as an insurance rental when my car had the cat stolen - all the glass on it was FYG, all OEM GM marked except for the windshield which was probably done by Safelite and it's aftermarket FYG. Optics were fine.

01.gif

There is nothing wrong with DOT 459 FYG. At least two aftermarket FYG windshields, and an FYG from the factory, all no problems
smile.gif

The "aftermarket" FYG for your Cruze is probably the exact same as the factory windshield minus the GM logo. It's not XYG being sneaky; it's PGW and AGC that are being sneaky--they're the ones who contracted it out to XYG
smirk2.gif

But I agree, XYG is garbage. eXtremelY Garbage
lol.gif

If you do get your glass replaced I personally would not let the installer come to me. I would rather place it in their shop and let them do it there. They do it in a workshop with all the tools in a controlled environment. Safelite here has a garage type shop where you can bring it to them. I like that option better because sometimes problems happen in the field and then your windshield doesnt get done right.

Back