How often do you think average person gets oil changed?

NH state inspection is once per year so I suspect people do it at least once per year in my state. My parents seem to do that with their 2000 Forester and 2000 Tundra rarely driven.

I have a friend who panics if they go even 100 miles over their 5,000 mile interval...to the point where they schedule an appointment immediately and go the next morning. They will also agree to all of the upsell maintenance the dealer pushes on them. Their car is way over maintained, but they typically get 130,000 drama-free miles out of a car before trading so whatever works I guess.

I have another friend with a performance car who goes once a year for an oil change, is still on the original wiper blades [car is 6 years old], and still has the original tires on the car [summer tires]. They did need a new battery a few months ago, but used a battery tender every night for a few months before finally biting the bullet and getting that new battery.

Most of my friends and family, though, go in for an oil change when they reach the mileage showing on the reminder from the last oil change.

I personally use the OLM on my car and go in (or change it myself depending on my schedule) when it hits 10% or less. I let it get down to 3% one time, and the dealer service advisor admonished me and said that was too low and I should never go below 30%. OK, whatever.

My regular customers, and I think this may go for most of the population, go by the oil change light. They usually make it to me shortly after the light is on.

In my opinion, folks may be changing their oil mostly on time but they are NOT checking the oil in between changes and that is the real bad issue. I regularly get cars for oil changes that are 2 and 3 qts low because they don't check it. Extended oil changes + not checking the oil = disaster. I also cannot count how many people, when asked if they checked their oil, will respond that yes it is 34%....they never pulled the stick. The think oil life is oil level. Stupidity runs amok.

I can tell you that my family is the "when they remember" type, and even mileage stickers don't help. My grandfather is the exception, and likely where I got my mechanical gene from. He is a 'service all of his equipment every year and cars by the books' type of person. He grew up very poor, did his own repairs on his cars, and ran a machine shop.

Judging from my experience with my family's vehicles, I'm sure oil life monitors have actually increased the frequency of service on many vehicles that would not have gotten it otherwise. My dad will get annoyed enough by the oil change light popping up on his 2013 Grand Cherokee that he will tell me it needs an oil change. Same with my mom and her Honda.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
My regular customers, and I think this may go for most of the population, go by the oil change light. They usually make it to me shortly after the light is on.

In my opinion, folks may be changing their oil mostly on time but they are NOT checking the oil in between changes and that is the real bad issue. I regularly get cars for oil changes that are 2 and 3 qts low because they don't check it. Extended oil changes + not checking the oil = disaster. I also cannot count how many people, when asked if they checked their oil, will respond that yes it is 34%....they never pulled the stick. The think oil life is oil level. Stupidity runs amok.

I do think the percentage counter is a stupid system. I have many family/friends/customers that believe the percentage is also the oil level, and to be fair, unless you are mechanically minded or have read the manual to understand how the system works I could see how they would think that.

Something like BMW's system from the 80s and 90s where it had different color lights on the dash that would count down until service is due makes a lot more sense than a dumb percentage which really means nothing. I've had customers bring me cars that needed oil changes with 25% left because they thought on a longer trip they would cause engine damage since they only had oil that was "25% as good".
33.gif
A maintenance light that comes on every 5-10,000 miles isn't as bad in my opinion.

Originally Posted by pbm
Probably twice a year for the average vehicle...in the USA.....some more often...some less often...

To me that's often enough. But, I've been practicing extended OCIs since 1990 with no ill effects. My 2012 Mazda3 has an awesome maintenance reminder that you can set to your own liking (miles AND number of days). In my case it's 15,000 miles or 365 days.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Most of my friends service their vehicles according to the maintenance schedule, probably because their cars have maintenance lights that are too annoying to ignore.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most newer cars have maintenance minders that light up. Most people in my experience follow the recommendations and change the oil. Those on BITOG are not in a secret society that knows oil needs to be changed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Barkleymut
A family friend bought a new Suburban back in the 90's, around 25k miles (90% short trips) the engine decided to stop working. Turns out the wife thought the husband was getting the oil changed, the husband thought the wife was handling the service. I doubt many people nowadays completely neglect oil changes, but I'm sure there are some. It would be a very expensive lesson, especially if you have to learn it more than once.

I can see this happening but i personally don't know many couples whose wife is in charge of car maintenance, invite this fella to join BITOG.

My step father is the worse at oil changes. I rebuilt a Saturn Sl2 engine for him, used Mobil 1 full synthetic and said come back around 5k. Almost a year and 6 months of by and during the last 6 months hes complaining I its leakin oil somewhere, by i cant get him to bring it to me. Finally the serpentine belt broke, had it towed to my shop and saw he went 20k miles one oil change with a rebuilt engine. The oil leak was the oil filter I wished I had cut open because I bet it was plugged up. He also drove a 1996 mercury sable 100k miles in a year and never changed the oil. It eventually lost compression on number 6.

Originally Posted by Dunkaroo
I've heard stories of people saying they've never had an oil change but how common is this? do you think the average person who does not know the importance of changing the oil are getting regular oil changes? here where I live I have to take my car to a mechanic every year for a roadworthy inspection and that's the only time I take it there not once have they said I need a service or oil change etc.

Pretty certain the shop I go to for my mandatory yearly inspections doesn't pull the dipstick. I keep my oil change records online and try to keep a sticker on the w/s, but they almost always fade away.

My FIL still follows 3mo/3K miles and wont change from that. He just had his Nissan Frontier's oil changed at the dealership because 3 months had elapsed. yet he only put about 1000 miles on that oil, if that. None of which is less than a 20 mile or so trip.

OTOH, most of my family/friends, I have no idea what schedule they follow. I like chatting about that stuff, but not so much for them.

Originally Posted by mpack88
My step father is the worse at oil changes. I rebuilt a Saturn Sl2 engine for him, used Mobil 1 full synthetic and said come back around 5k. Almost a year and 6 months of by and during the last 6 months hes complaining I its leakin oil somewhere, by i cant get him to bring it to me. Finally the serpentine belt broke, had it towed to my shop and saw he went 20k miles one oil change with a rebuilt engine. The oil leak was the oil filter I wished I had cut open because I bet it was plugged up. He also drove a 1996 mercury sable 100k miles in a year and never changed the oil. It eventually lost compression on number 6.

It's a good thing the engine was a fresh rebuild. My wife's old Saturn would have burned 100 quarts during that 20k miles! In its later days, it would be a quart low before it needed gas on a long trip.

A family friend bought a new Suburban back in the 90's, around 25k miles (90% short trips) the engine decided to stop working. Turns out the wife thought the husband was getting the oil changed, the husband thought the wife was handling the service. I doubt many people nowadays completely neglect oil changes, but I'm sure there are some. It would be a very expensive lesson, especially if you have to learn it more than once.

The lack of oil changes is still fairly common.

Originally Posted by dave1251

The lack of oil changes is still fairly common.

May be in your opinion. Here-the "Grease Monkey" and Jiify Lube franchises are VERY BUSY-as is the Chevrolet Dealer's "Quick Lube" lane.

Ignorance up, laziness up, diligence down, car ownership period down.

At some point they probably won't change the oil at all, just trade it in when it needs oil.

Some people don't know what an "oil change" is. Other people (especially BITOGers) change their oil way too often. The average is probably in the middle, somewhere around the correct time/mileage due. God only knows the answer to such questions.

95% of the people in my family, and my circle of friends pay loose attention to their OLM, or windshield sticker, and get it changed 1-2 weeks after they notice they've gone over the mileage. It agitates my OCD when I think about it.

My mother-in-law is a car manufacturer's dream. The transmission just went out in her 2015 Silverado, and she's ditching it after she gets it fixed. I think she's at 120K. I am 95% sure she's never had the transmission fluid changed, and I'm not asking, because it makes her defensive. My nephew's 2010 Camaro has never had a tranny fluid change either, at well over 100K. My family's maintenance habits make me curl up in the fetal position.

Back