SUNOCO missing from TOP TIER list ,

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/ . Meanwhile SUNOCO site states it's a Top Tier , https://www.sunoco.com/quality-fuels . Noticed this when I looked to see if SPEEDWAY was added since it's affiliated with MARATHON . It's not
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Hmm, the Sunoco I use fairly often has the top tier stickers on all the pumps and official Sunoco signage touting the cleaning ability of the fuel. Is it possible the list hasn't been updated since Sunoco became top tier?

They've never been on the list. I always found it ironic that they supply racing fuel but are not TT.

Originally Posted by SubyRoo
Hmm, the Sunoco I use fairly often has the top tier stickers on all the pumps and official Sunoco signage touting the cleaning ability of the fuel. Is it possible the list hasn't been updated since Sunoco became top tier?

Their press releases about going Top Tier are from 2017. I checked the earliest version (Nov 1, 2018) of that page on the Web Archive, and Sunoco is listed.

https://web.archive.org/web/20181101175457/https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

or learned that TT$ brought in no business......

Plus, I remember reading not too long ago that Sunoco was getting out of the retail business. Yes, yes, it blew my mind too.

Then a few Sunoco stations turned into something else BUT a few Sunoco stations were revamped near me and one off-brand station was converted TO a Sunoco.

Originally Posted by loneryder
They've never been on the list. I always found it ironic that they supply racing fuel but are not TT.

They were on the list at one time...

Oh good catch! Before it WAS Top Tier when I checked in 2019. Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted by Kira
or learned that TT$ brought in no business......

Plus, I remember reading not too long ago that Sunoco was getting out of the retail business. Yes, yes, it blew my mind too.

Then a few Sunoco stations turned into something else BUT a few Sunoco stations were revamped near me and one off-brand station was converted TO a Sunoco.

Technically they're out of the refining business.

https://www.reuters.com/article/sun...pipeline-retail-ops-idUSL3E7K62220110906

There are three big portions of the oil business - exploration, refining, and retail. I think we have this idea (which used to be the norm) that these are vertically integrated businesses that did all three, even though there might be franchises. But that's slowly going away and has been that was for a while.

There's been a ton of separation. ConocoPhillips is now only in oil exploration while Phillips 66 is refining and retail. Shell has been selling off a ton of its refineries, including the Martinez refinery that was its first in the US. They maintain fuel terminals in California but don't refine any oil in the state. Valero the exploration and refining company is now separate from Valero the retail brand.

Originally Posted by loneryder

I don't think there's really that much that TT would do for specialty racing fuel. The detergent properties aren't all that critical when an engine only needs to last every other race. They claim they use the same levels in their fuel as in the fuel that NASCAR gets, but who knows what benefit that would be.

The stuff that NASCAR uses now is Sunoco Green E15, and I see notices that it's not for street vehicles.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
There are three big portions of the oil business - exploration, refining, and retail. I think we have this idea (which used to be the norm) that these are vertically integrated businesses that did all three, even though there might be franchises. But that's slowly going away and has been that was for a while.
So your terminology is a little wonky.
In the industry, the terms are Upstream, Midstream, and Downstream.
Here's a decent video that explains the differences.

And here's a pretty neat follow on for how gasoline gets from the pipeline to your car.

Originally Posted by odie
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/ . Meanwhile SUNOCO site states it's a Top Tier , https://www.sunoco.com/quality-fuels . Noticed this when I looked to see if SPEEDWAY was added since it's affiliated with MARATHON . It's not
smirk.gif

Sunoco's site no longer states they are Top Tier that I can see, but they do use the words "Top Quality" and say they exceed the EPA mandates. From the above link as of today:

SUNOCO ULTRATECHâ„¢ HIGH-QUALITY FUEL FOR YOUR EVERYDAY RACE
Sunoco UltraTech™ is a high detergent fuel blend, available across all fuel grades at every Sunoco station across the country. Sunoco UltraTech™ includes the same detergent level as the quality fuel Sunoco makes for NASCAR® and will help your car run cleaner, longer, and more efficiently.

Sunoco UltraTech Pump
EXCEEDS EPA STANDARDS
Sunoco UltraTechâ„¢ significantly exceeds U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's gasoline detergency standards.

A TOP-QUALITY FUEL
For over 100 years, Sunoco's gasoline has been known for high quality. As the official fuel of NASCAR® and NHRA® we offer our consumers high quality fuel to get them where they need to go.

Here's what I got when I asked about Sunoco and Top Tier

"Sunoco gasoline has always been known for high quality, even before we became Top Tier certified - that is not changing. When we decided to attain Top Tier certification, we took on increased cost. During these unprecedented times, we are temporarily suspending our Top Tier program. We will re-evaluate once we are through the current COVID-related impact on our business."

Originally Posted by JG44

"Sunoco gasoline has always been known for high quality, even before we became Top Tier certified - that is not changing. When we decided to attain Top Tier certification, we took on increased cost. During these unprecedented times, we are temporarily suspending our Top Tier program. We will re-evaluate once we are through the current COVID-related impact on our business."

Sunoco doesn't care if our fuel systems get clogged. They care about profits.
I've been a Shell purchaser ever since my first fuel injection vehicle arrived in 1984.... Pontiac 6000.

Last edited:
I love our local Sunoco Station, they have amazing local owners who work there daily, good food, very clean and they carry non ethanol and racing fuel at the pump. However I would like it alot better if thier pumps had the little "Top Tier" logo on their pumps. That little logo makes me fuel good!

You got that, how?

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger

You got that, how?

They have a customer service form. That would be my guess.

https://www.sunoco.com/contact-us#email-us

The Wikipedia article on Top Tier claims that the suspension is a matter of COVID-19 financial difficulties, but doesn't cite any source.

I knew there was a reason I never liked purchasing gas at Casey's. They had good cheap pizza tbough
lol.gif

Originally Posted by 5AcresAndAFool
I love our local Sunoco Station, they have amazing local owners who work there daily, good food, very clean and they carry non ethanol and racing fuel at the pump. However I would like it alot better if thier pumps had the little "Top Tier" logo on their pumps. That little logo makes me fuel good!

Some states no longer mandate when gas pumps do not display "E10 ethanol" signs at the pumps and there is 10% ethanol inside your gas tank. So any gas station here in Michigan can use 10% ethanol and not tell the purchaser at the pump it's there.
Check your newest, current laws in your state.

Back